U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 4,235 times

Advertisements

I know that I'm on my own with this but just in case anyone can offer advice or help with my situation, I would really appreciate it.

About me: Mid-30s, graduated from one of the top schools here in the US with a BS in Math and Political Science. After that (this was back in 02-03) I immediately had an opportunity to go live in France teaching English and earning a decent salary. Throughout those years, I gained no real US experience (I had worked briefly as a financial analyst and in operations before going to France) and due to the fact that teaching English was not my long-term career goal, I decided to come back to New York after a decade in France. But what's the problem? I have sent hundreds of resumes/cvs to no avail and cannot seem to find any job. My resume is very diverse when it comes to experience: I've worked as a financial analyst in the past, I've worked as a Paralegal, in university (I've been a professor in Paris but that was a temporary substitution contract and so it never became a permanent position). Everyday, I send many résumés and never get any response.

I don't know anyone here in the US anymore because all of my former classmates have gone on with their lives and so contact has been lost. I realize obviously that I am not going to find a job overnight (and that is not my expectation) but this is very hard for me. To make matters worse, I am living in rural NJ with parents(not a good situation at all) until I find a job in NY and I have no car so I am basically stuck. I had a US driver's license in the past but it expired since I never needed a car in France and so I let it expire (that was a dumb decision since in most of the US you are nobody without a car).

I just want to work and find a place to live in NYC (which is where I am from anyway). I've already tried monster.com and most of the other job websites but either I am having no luck or my age hurts me or perhaps employers prefer someone who has more of a US work history despite the fact that I have a lot of experience and a good education.

If there is any advice anyone here can offer, that would be helpful. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 04:24 PM

23,279 posts, read 16,133,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressiveliberal View Post
I know that I'm on my own with this but just in case anyone can offer advice or help with my situation, I would really appreciate it.

About me: Mid-30s, graduated from one of the top schools here in the US with a BS in Math and Political Science. After that (this was back in 02-03) I immediately had an opportunity to go live in France teaching English and earning a decent salary. Throughout those years, I gained no real US experience (I had worked briefly as a financial analyst and in operations before going to France) and due to the fact that teaching English was not my long-term career goal, I decided to come back to New York after a decade in France. But what's the problem? I have sent hundreds of resumes/cvs to no avail and cannot seem to find any job. My resume is very diverse when it comes to experience: I've worked as a financial analyst in the past, I've worked as a Paralegal, in university (I've been a professor in Paris but that was a temporary substitution contract and so it never became a permanent position). Everyday, I send many résumés and never get any response.

I don't know anyone here in the US anymore because all of my former classmates have gone on with their lives and so contact has been lost. I realize obviously that I am not going to find a job overnight (and that is not my expectation) but this is very hard for me. To make matters worse, I am living in rural NJ with parents(not a good situation at all) until I find a job in NY and I have no car so I am basically stuck. I had a US driver's license in the past but it expired since I never needed a car in France and so I let it expire (that was a dumb decision since in most of the US you are nobody without a car).

I just want to work and find a place to live in NYC (which is where I am from anyway). I've already tried monster.com and most of the other job websites but either I am having no luck or my age hurts me or perhaps employers prefer someone who has more of a US work history despite the fact that I have a lot of experience and a good education.

If there is any advice anyone here can offer, that would be helpful. Thank you.
You probably need a masters degree or further in something you want a career in. Or if you streamline your resume towards a career that might help.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:33 PM

10,644 posts, read 20,793,559 times
Contact the college you graduated from and see what career services they offer to alums. Any top notch school should have services for alumni. There should also be an alumni network, possibly online. And of course use Linkedin if you are not already.

This may sound silly, but I highly recommend the book "What Color is Your Parachute" as it describes very specific networking strategies, such as the informational interview, that you can start using right away. If money is tight, you can probably get a copy at your local library.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You probably need a masters degree or further in something you want a career in. Or if you streamline your resume towards a career that might help.
I do have a Masters related to the field I prefer + a European Union certification (although here that doesn't mean a thing probably).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna
Contact the college you graduated from and see what career services they offer to alums. Any top notch school should have services for alumni. There should also be an alumni network, possibly online. And of course use Linkedin if you are not already.

This may sound silly, but I highly recommend the book "What Color is Your Parachute" as it describes very specific networking strategies, such as the informational interview, that you can start using right away. If money is tight, you can probably get a copy at your local library.
I've used the alumni career board services but most of them specify graduation years that are for people much younger than me. I still apply sometimes through that board but I either get declined or it blocks me since it doesn't fit the graduation years they are looking for in the post.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out at the library.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:51 PM

19 posts, read 6,460 times
Maybe Hillary or Obama can help you, or maybe the pink ***** hat women - love trumps hate right?

Old 07-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Gut Job View Post
Maybe Hillary or Obama can help you, or maybe the pink ***** hat women - love trumps hate right?
No need...Trump and the Republican led Congress are doing wonders for the unemployed! It must be getting exciting to see all that "winning"

Old 07-05-2017, 04:56 PM

10,644 posts, read 20,793,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressiveliberal View Post
I do have a Masters related to the field I prefer + a European Union certification (although here that doesn't mean a thing probably).

I've used the alumni career board services but most of them specify graduation years that are for people much younger than me. I still apply sometimes through that board but I either get declined or it blocks me since it doesn't fit the graduation years they are looking for in the post.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out at the library.
So you're saying the Career Services office does not offer services to all alumni? I find that strange. Have you actually picked up the phone and called them? I guess not all schools have offices that are helpful -- I know people that have complained about the services even from top notch schools, but I don't see how it hurts to call and ask what they can do to help you.

I would think at the very least they may have resources for resume templates and other sorts of advice that they could give you or send you.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So you're saying the Career Services office does not offer services to all alumni? I find that strange. Have you actually picked up the phone and called them? I guess not all schools have offices that are helpful -- I know people that have complained about the services even from top notch schools, but I don't see how it hurts to call and ask what they can do to help you.

I would think at the very least they may have resources for resume templates and other sorts of advice that they could give you or send you.
They do offer but they refer to me their job board (which is for both current students and alumni...but every employer is different so most of them specify they are looking for specific graduation years). I've been in contact with them and even went to the alumni office but the most useful thing has been the job board so far...despite the lack of a specific job board tailored to alumni as opposed to the general one they have.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM

107 posts, read 131,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

You need to pay a fee to be an active alumni and take advantage of their services (at least at Baruch CUNY). I don't think those services are available for ever without a fee.

This is what I did when I graduated and was desperate for a job. I picked a good company with great benefits and I applied for run of the mill adm job that I was sure I would get. After I got the job I stay in my position for about a year and then started moving up in the company. By then they knew me, I had experience in the department so it wasn't difficult to move around.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post
You need to pay a fee to be an active alumni and take advantage of their services (at least at Baruch CUNY). I don't think those services are available for ever without a fee.

This is what I did when I graduated and was desperate for a job. I picked a good company with great benefits and I applied for run of the mill adm job that I was sure I would get. After I got the job I stay in my position for about a year and then started moving up in the company. By then they knew me, I had experience in the department so it wasn't difficult to move around.
In my school the service is free but in fact I have been looking for even "low level" paralegal jobs and admin type of work (since I just need ANY job) but not even those jobs have replied and when I apply for those jobs of course I make sure to cut out anything that makes me look "overqualified". I've applied to hundreds of paralegal jobs for example...even speaking multiple languages and with paralegal experience but no luck yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City