Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:17 AM

21 posts, read 18,666 times

Advertisements

Job literally starts on Monday. Trying to find a way to break lease and do a bunch of other stuff, but the opportunity arose so I need to make it happen. I have been questioning if I can survive on a six figure salary(100-120 range) in NYC, but everyone says that I can, so I guess I'll try it. Job is in Long Island City. Not sure where I will live though right now. Staying in Airbnb for a couple weeks until I can secure place. Any ideas?

I am very familiar with the Bronx and Washington Heights, but I don't know anything about Queens honestly. I have family in the Bronx and WH, but they keep a certain lifestyle that I have to try to stay away from so I haven't even informed them that I'll be local now...hence my coming to Internet for questions.

Insight on best places to live in Queens would be helpful...best elementary schools...and if my salary will be ok to survive on considering I am very comfortable on less in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 AM

983 posts, read 931,588 times
Since you have a pretty high salary, just live in LIC near your job for convenience. You can afford it.

If you want to live somewhere a little less dense, try Nassau County and take the long island railroad in to work

Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Why not live close to where your job is, LIC? It is served by a few subway lines so getting anywhere will be quick and easy.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Your salary is fine for Astoria, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, Forest Hills, etc. Not sure about the new buildings of LIC but some have some rental deals.

The thing is that you threw in "elementary schools" towards the end of the post. I just don't know enough about elementary schools to advise on that.

Regarding the commute, Google maps directions using the transit option should give you a basic idea of what commutes would be like from whatever address you plug in to your end address in LIC. Just make sure when you search, you change the time so that it will give you the info on the times you are most likely going to travel to work. In other words, don't use the directions function on a Sunday evening and think it represents the timing for a commute on a Wednesday at 5 pm.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Why not live close to where your job is, LIC? It is served by a few subway lines so getting anywhere will be quick and easy.
LIC is definitely out of my range. What I live in Atlanta will easily cost me around 3-4k in LIC...I have capped my max rent at like 2500-2800.I have been looking at places that would put me close to the 7 though.

I have a daughter who will be joining me next school year(leaving her with mom and dad to finish school year to avoid too much uprooting). So I kind of want to live almost the same to what I have in Atlanta..space wise...thats damn near impossible but I can definitely find something decent.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Your salary is fine for Astoria, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, Forest Hills, etc. Not sure about the new buildings of LIC but some have some rental deals.

The thing is that you threw in "elementary schools" towards the end of the post. I just don't know enough about elementary schools to advise on that.

Regarding the commute, Google maps directions using the transit option should give you a basic idea of what commutes would be like from whatever address you plug in to your end address in LIC. Just make sure when you search, you change the time so that it will give you the info on the times you are most likely going to travel to work. In other words, don't use the directions function on a Sunday evening and think it represents the timing for a commute on a Wednesday at 5 pm.

Thank you. I appreciate it. You confirmed that I am looking in the right areas..Astoria, Jackson Heights and even Glendale, Ridgewood, and Jamaica Estates have popped up on my searches...Flushing is cool but it just seems too far.

I still have not decided whether I'll drive or take train...almost seems more convenient to just keep driving if commute is less than 30.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Since you have a pretty high salary, just live in LIC near your job for convenience. You can afford it.

If you want to live somewhere a little less dense, try Nassau County and take the long island railroad in to work
Nassau County? What does that look like commute wise?

I had to google...wow...Long Island...I've always made fun of SI and LI...Ill look at the houses and commute and see. Thanks so much for suggesting!

Old 11-28-2016, 07:56 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunedos View Post
Thank you. I appreciate it. You confirmed that I am looking in the right areas..Astoria, Jackson Heights and even Glendale, Ridgewood, and Jamaica Estates have popped up on my searches...Flushing is cool but it just seems too far.

I still have not decided whether I'll drive or take train...almost seems more convenient to just keep driving if commute is less than 30.
Parking is the big issue with driving. It's not that common to find rentals that come with parking (even parking you have to pay extra for). Parking on the street works for some, but there are alternate side regulations that you would have to learn to deal with/avoid, and in some neighborhoods it's very difficult to find a spot (any spot) when you come home from work.

Neighborhoods with less transit (like not very many subway stations or none at all) will have much easier parking for the most part, as they tend to be further out and have more space and less density.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Parking is the big issue with driving. It's not that common to find rentals that come with parking (even parking you have to pay extra for). Parking on the street works for some, but there are alternate side regulations that you would have to learn to deal with/avoid, and in some neighborhoods it's very difficult to find a spot (any spot) when you come home from work.

Neighborhoods with less transit (like not very many subway stations or none at all) will have much easier parking for the most part, as they tend to be further out and have more space and less density.

That's my greatest concern is the parking. A few places have told me I can add it on for an additional 150...I have done FaceTime tours of homes thus far, but even that's hard to really tell. Most of these places are above public offices or apartments within homes I guess...I know thats common, but I don't know what the experience is like for people.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:21 AM

555 posts, read 617,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post

I wouldn't advise that, OP would basically be working just to pay his rent.

Lots of nice areas nearby where OP can actually save some money and set themselves up better for the future vs just throwing all their money out on rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City