U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:26 AM

20,150 posts, read 26,444,908 times

Advertisements

Depends.
22 hour service is fine, 20 hour is okay but if they shut down at 11PM or midnight, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 AM

20,150 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Cleaner subways? If certain riders didn't act like animals, this would be far less of an issue.

Somebody has to explain to me how people can make subway ceilings black and peeling and the tile wall on the far side of the third rail looking like vomit. Or how people can make the fluorescent lights so grimy little light gets through?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:45 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,565,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
A lot of people do take advantage of the 24/7 service. Not just partiers but many who work overnight shifts. It's a huge plus to have a subway that runs at all times.
I totally agree. Tons of people rely on the late night service, myself included sometimes.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:23 AM

2,054 posts, read 985,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Most of NYC sleeps at night.

Seoul, Tokyo, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona. All 24hr cities without 24hr subways. One could even argue that Mew Orleans and Las Vegas are 24hr cities. After 1am, subway ridership decreases to the point where express busses, running along subway routes could pick up the slack.
You have obviously never ridden the #7 train late at night. At times it seems like the whole world is riding that train.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 PM

7,177 posts, read 3,878,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
You have obviously never ridden the #7 train late at night. At times it seems like the whole world is riding that train.
As I lived in Sunnyside for several years, I can assure you that I have.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM

1,219 posts, read 970,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Most of NYC sleeps at night.

Seoul, Tokyo, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona. All 24hr cities without 24hr subways. One could even argue that Mew Orleans and Las Vegas are 24hr cities. After 1am, subway ridership decreases to the point where express busses, running along subway routes could pick up the slack.
Nah f*** that. I routinely take the train between 12-5am and I need those trains to be running. I offer go from one side of NYC to the other. I have friends in the north Bronx in Woodlawn, way out Far Rock Queens, and all over Brooklyn. It would take forever to get from those west bubblef#$@ neighborhoods on a bus especially late at night even if traffic is lighter. Plus you have to remember that express buses aren't cheap, neither are taxis or uber when going distances like that. When I ride the train late at night they are never empty, especially the A, 2, 4, D, and E trains. Now you could probably get away with closing certain segments at night and replace with shuttle buses but wait, they already do that.

Chicago's red and blue lines operate 24/7 and its system is just as old as NYC's. They seem to make it manage and most of it doesn't have express tracks. The main problem is the ancient signal system.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,627,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
The REAL question is would you pay an extra dollar for a cleaner more reliable subway system.

I bet if it came down to paying more than the low $2.75 people would back off real quick.
LIRR/MNR/NJT commuters pay $12-20 each way and its not 4-8x better than NYC subway.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh please!

Not having 24/7 subway service would *NOT* destroy NYC's "image" of a city that does not sleep or whatever. Where do people get this stuff?

Between higher labor and other costs in case you haven't noticed aside from certain businesses in certain areas much of the city (especially Manhattan) is closing by midnight.

Used be easy finding a diner or something that was open 24/7, but no not so much. Even that Pick-A-Bagel across from Lenox Hill Hospital (a 24/7 business that supplied a steady stream of customers) now closes overnight.

Besides a majority of persons enjoying this so called "never sleeps" lifestyle don't go near subways after hours. They take Uber/car share or maybe taxis. It is really only lower and middle income employees (and sometimes not even then) that make up a bulk of after hours NYC subway ridership. Yes, you get some tourists and others, but again not many as one would think I shouldn't wonder.

All issues affecting train transit in NYC (Amtrak, NJT, Penn Station, subways, and to a lesser extent LIRR and MNR) come from systems that not only are or over 100 years old, but that they are ridden hard and get very little time for maintenance.
I see what you're saying but I ride the train late at night in a regular basis and there's no shortage of passengers. I see ALOT of people either going to or coming from work. These are people who work in restaurants, bars, hotels, hospitals, warehouses, construction, etc. Then you have people going to or coming from the airports, bus terminals, and Penn station.

If MTA was to introduce the idea of closing the system down at night it would be met with outrage, its a non starters. It wouldn't even make since for it to close for 3 hours. Trains ate packed from 4am to 1am and then it dies down for 3 hours but not to the extend of closing the system. Trains already run like every 30 minutes during those hours I'm sure closing for a fee hours won't improve much of anything.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Depends.
22 hour service is fine, 20 hour is okay but if they shut down at 11PM or midnight, no way.
None of that is okay. I'm telling you guys shutting the subway down at night would change the dynamic of the whole city. Employers all across the city would have to make shift changes. Buses are too slow to replace a train. If NYC was the size of DC or Philly it would be different but you can expect someone living all the way in the Bronx that has a job in Brooklyn to a damn bus. Buses would have to make stops at every train station and again express buses are too expensive for lower income workers.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:44 PM

20,139 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
None of that is okay. I'm telling you guys shutting the subway down at night would change the dynamic of the whole city. Employers all across the city would have to make shift changes. Buses are too slow to replace a train. If NYC was the size of DC or Philly it would be different but you can expect someone living all the way in the Bronx that has a job in Brooklyn to a damn bus. Buses would have to make stops at every train station and again express buses are too expensive for lower income workers.
Buses are too slow and to limited capacity to replace the trains during most hours due to traffic and the sheer number of people that would need to be moved. However, if NYC did things like many other cities, then what happens is that there would be frequent additional night bus services that operate when the subways are closed and basically trace the same routes the trains would have. The thing is, at the times that the subways would be closed in these scenarios, the streets of NYC are far less congested and the need for the massive capacity that traincars have is not needed. If it's combined with signal priority where these buses can communicate with traffic lights to give the buses favorable lights and limited stops to mimic the train stations, then the additional night buses are going to be pretty zippy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or