Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,303 times

Advertisements

Hi CityData,

I'm going to be a resident at Jacobi Medical Center in July. I need to find an apartment. I won't have a car so something within walking distance or somewhere with subway access is ideal. I've been searching Craigslist for apts on Pelham Parkway and Upper east side. Any other neighborhoods in between on the subway line that are safe? How far up upper east side before I hit unsafe areas? I'm female, 20s. Should I find a broker or are streeteasy/craigslist enough?

Also I can't believe apts are so expensive even in the Bronx! I'm seeing nothing lower than $1600 for a studio in the Bronx and $1800 in UES... I don't want a roommate UNLESS there are 2 bathrooms..maybe. My hours will be very irregular with night and day shifts, so I need to sleep at odd times. I'm a light sleeper so a roommate would not work well.

Is it possible to find something in a safe neighborhood for $1500 or less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 07:56 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpneedapt View Post
Hi CityData,

I'm going to be a resident at Jacobi Medical Center in July. I need to find an apartment. I won't have a car so something within walking distance or somewhere with subway access is ideal. I've been searching Craigslist for apts on Pelham Parkway and Upper east side. Any other neighborhoods in between on the subway line that are safe? How far up upper east side before I hit unsafe areas? I'm female, 20s. Should I find a broker or are streeteasy/craigslist enough?

Also I can't believe apts are so expensive even in the Bronx! I'm seeing nothing lower than $1600 for a studio in the Bronx and $1800 in UES... I don't want a roommate UNLESS there are 2 bathrooms..maybe. My hours will be very irregular with night and day shifts, so I need to sleep at odd times. I'm a light sleeper so a roommate would not work well.

Is it possible to find something in a safe neighborhood for $1500 or less?
Try Norwood in the Bronx

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2017, 02:17 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Pelham Parkway while decent in parts is overrated. For that price, I would choose Manhattan.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 11,286 times
When I was a resident I lived in Pelham Bay and Country Club. I had a car though.

Without a car, I would try to live in the area delineated by Williamsbridge to the west, Morris Park to the south, and Pelham Parkway to the north. I have friends who are still residents who live in multi-family homes in the area I mentioned above paying $1300 for a one bedroom all inclusive (heat/electric/internet).

You could also consider the upper east side in the 80s or 90s near a 5/6 train stop. A lot of residents do that, but you'll need a roommate to keep costs down.

The amenities around Jacobi are only ok. There's some pretty good Italian food, but otherwise anything good is going to be in the city.

Use http://www.padmapper.com to search the area. You'll probably have to pay a broker fee, but you might not.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:07 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Try throngs neck, Park Chester, country club, city island, alert on, Pelham manor, co-op city, etc that's basically all the areas near Jacobi bus service is good too

Old 03-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Try throngs neck, Park Chester, country club, city island, alert on, Pelham manor, co-op city, etc that's basically all the areas near Jacobi bus service is good too
The OP asked for something within walking distance or with good subway access and you recommend Country Club, Throgs Neck, City Island, Co-op City and Pelham Manor?!?

Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
There are 1 bedrooms for 1200-1300 in The Bronx, for now at least

Old 03-19-2017, 01:29 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The OP asked for something within walking distance or with good subway access and you recommend Country Club, Throgs Neck, City Island, Co-op City and Pelham Manor?!?
OP can use the bus. These are close neighborhoods 5-10 minute bus rides to Jacobi

Old 03-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
OP can use the bus. These are close neighborhoods 5-10 minute bus rides to Jacobi
Are you sure you live in the Bronx? Driving it would be quick, but even then, not 5-10 minutes.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
OP, if you can tolerate slightly below-average Bronx hood levels, then Bedford Park might be another option too

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City