Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times

Advertisements

Having ridden most major US and European subway systems, I've long maintained the fact that NYC's 24 hour service, combined with flat-rate fares make it the best system in the world. Now, time has caught up with the MTA, and the system isn't reliable at all. Delayed maintenance plays a big role in the system's decline.

A recent trip to Asia showed me just how clean and reliable a subway system can be with a 4-5 hour maintenance window every night.

Now, I don't live in NY any more, so I don't really have a horse in this race. I also understand that late night subway service isn't all about nightlife. NY is a 24hr city, and some people's daily commutes happen in the wee hours. That said, I think the city could really benefit by increasing night busses and ending 24 hour train service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 AM

37,136 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Yes, absolutely. At least for Sunday-Thursday evenings unless there is a special event. On the other nights from something like 1:30 am to 4:30 am, it makes more sense to run buses that get signal priority.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 AM

346 posts, read 383,362 times
People have to go to and from work at all hours and buses wouldn't cut it at all. When I first started working for transit I sometimes would get off work at 12 at night and depending on where I was it could take me 2 hours to get home with the subway and ferry. Without the subway who knows how long it would have taken me. Many people have jobs that require they travel in the off hours. Not everyone works 9 to 5.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
People have to go to and from work at all hours and buses wouldn't cut it at all. When I first started working for transit I sometimes would get off work at 12 at night and depending on where I was it could take me 2 hours to get home with the subway and ferry. Without the subway who knows how long it would have taken me. Many people have jobs that require they travel in the off hours. Not everyone works 9 to 5.
Night buses seem to work in London, Tokyo and Seoul.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:13 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
A recent trip to Asia showed me just how clean and reliable a subway system can be with a 4-5 hour maintenance window every night.
The problem is that even if there is a maintenance window, the system wouldn't even come close to the standards of Asian metros. Heck, even the stations that are rebuild from ground up already look bad by world standards even before they are open to the public... A lot of underground stations don't have proper ceilings, instead we see leaking metal pipes and mold, naked steel beams, etc. I wouldn't even go into stuff like outdated signaling that is causing train delays, no complete coverage of countdown clocks for trains, most stations are not handicap accessible, a lot of stations do not have proper clearances/platform space between the platform and the train, no platform screen doors to prevent people from falling onto the tracks/prevent litter from falling onto the tracks, no proper ventilation/lighting/air conditioning, etc etc etc. Any upgrades costing 10 times more and for some reason require 2x more workers to do the job. 4 hour maintenance windows wouldn't fix those problems.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The problem is that even if there is a maintenance window, the system wouldn't even come close to the standards of Asian metros. Heck, even the stations that are rebuild from ground up already look bad by world standards even before they are open to the public... A lot of underground stations don't have proper ceilings, instead we see leaking metal pipes and mold, naked steel beams, etc. I wouldn't even go into stuff like outdated signaling that is causing train delays, no complete coverage of countdown clocks for trains, most stations are not handicap accessible, a lot of stations do not have proper clearances/platform space between the platform and the train, no platform screen doors to prevent people from falling onto the tracks/prevent litter from falling onto the tracks, no proper ventilation/lighting/air conditioning, etc etc etc. Any upgrades costing 10 times more and for some reason require 2x more workers to do the job. 4 hour maintenance windows wouldn't fix those problems.
They would in conjunction with reforming the procurement and contracting processes. It would if contractors were held liable for delays, including being denied the right to bid for future MTA projects.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 AM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
No, but I would sacrifice WEEKDAY 24 hour service. Not weekend.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:20 AM

994 posts, read 1,057,188 times
No way, I will take 24 hours over reliability any day. If I want to have a curfew, I will move to the suburbs

Old 07-06-2017, 09:27 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Having ridden most major US and European subway systems, I've long maintained the fact that NYC's 24 hour service, combined with flat-rate fares make it the best system in the world. Now, time has caught up with the MTA, and the system isn't reliable at all. Delayed maintenance plays a big role in the system's decline.

Now, I don't live in NY any more, so I don't really have a horse in this race. I also understand that late night subway service isn't all about nightlife. NY is a 24hr city, and some people's daily commutes happen in the wee hours. That said, I think the city could really benefit by increasing night busses and ending 24 hour train service.
I agree for a 4 hour subway shutdown on certain days that allows cleaning. Cleaning from 2-6 am at least.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:36 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Cleaner subways? If certain riders didn't act like animals, this would be far less of an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City