Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:24 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times

Advertisements

I already have to alter my sleep schedule due to loud inconsiderate neighbors, I can't be now altering my work schedule cause the trains are no longer running 24/7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 11:35 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I agree.

What other US city's public transit even comes close?
None, because no other city has devoted the kind of funding to transit. Unfortunately the system is crumbling. NY should take its cues from other world-class cities, not simply be content to have the best system in the country.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:02 AM

783 posts, read 576,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Seriously what is with all the complaints about the subway lately?

The subway is fine.

You get to go anywhere in the 5 boros 24/7 for $2.75. During rush hours most trains come every 5 minutes, they are working to upgrade the system with better time tracking, it's much cleaner than it used to be, what else do you want?

You don't like it, move to a place you have to drive to work everyday and sit in traffic.
I'd rather sit in traffic and listen to music in a air conditioned car than stand in a subway car packed like sardines in a dark tunnel. That's probably why most people in this country do just that.

Also, the subway is not 'fine'. In case you haven't noticed, it is declining at a rapid rate. The delays are getting worse, and the fares keep going up. What good does a train coming every 5 minutes if it then has to sit for 30 minutes because of signal issues or other delays? What else do we want? How about not having to literally jump onto the tracks and walk to the next station just to get to work.

I walked the subway tracks so I wouldn’t lose my job

Another Set Of Frustrated Subway Riders Walked From Stalled 3 Train

Old 07-07-2017, 08:07 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
I would possibly support a temporary closing time for a major infrastructure upgrade, but not permanently. I think the 24/7 subways is one thing that makes this city great, especially as someone that likes to stay out late. It's also great for people that don't work 9-5 which we have a lot of in this city.

However, I do know that things have been getting really bad lately and I know that something needs to be done. I recently started working mornings at the beginning of this year and I think that's where most of the problems happen, which is unfortunate since it's also the busiest time on the subway. Delays and switch problems are the new normal every morning on the JMZ it seems lately, and multiple other lines as well. I think there was one week somewhat recently where the trains were running extra-****tily and I had to uber to work 3 times and spend around $80 or so each time because of surge pricing.
And who can forget that day where there was a power outage in the subway and almost all trains were stopped in Brooklyn....

I know things are bad, but I think that ending the 24 hour service should be an absolute final, desperate, last resort.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:26 AM

954 posts, read 939,232 times
Sorry double post

Old 07-07-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
I'd rather sit in traffic and listen to music in a air conditioned car than stand in a subway car packed like sardines in a dark tunnel. That's probably why most people in this country do just that.

Also, the subway is not 'fine'. In case you haven't noticed, it is declining at a rapid rate. The delays are getting worse, and the fares keep going up. What good does a train coming every 5 minutes if it then has to sit for 30 minutes because of signal issues or other delays? What else do we want? How about not having to literally jump onto the tracks and walk to the next station just to get to work.

I walked the subway tracks so I wouldn’t lose my job

Another Set Of Frustrated Subway Riders Walked From Stalled 3 Train
Seriously? That is not an everyday occurrence.

I'm 35 never owned a car and have taken the subway everyday since I was 15, and yes I think it's fine. Sure there have been delays and issues but overall I've found the service very good and I have few complaints. I do live in downtown brooklyn now (the train Mecca), but I grew up on east New York and lived in other places far from the train.

I don't believe your faking how you feel about the system, everyone is intitled to their opinion. I'm just glad I don't feel that way. I truely appreciate the Mta and think they do a great job with the millions of people they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:42 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
No way.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Seriously? That is not an everyday occurrence.

I'm 35 never owned a car and have taken the subway everyday since I was 15, and yes I think it's fine. Sure there have been delays and issues but overall I've found the service very good and I have few complaints.

ummm...No.....As a lifelong NYer, its barely adequate....even that that praising their performance. Those delays and issues cost NY millions & billions of lost productivity.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:11 AM

Barely adequate?

That's a bit harsh don't you think? People seem to be able to make it work at a reasonable time. Ny is still the business Capitol of the world. Maybe it's just you?

Old 07-07-2017, 02:54 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
no. f**k no. the subways should already have a clean upkeep. we pay the MTA too much. s**t should be spotless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City