Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times

Advertisements

Half of me wishes they'd collapse just to watch the ensuing chaos. (Not while anybody was in there of course).

Since the govt will be involved in this one you can rest assured it will take 3x longer and cost 3x as much compared to if one of the major freight RR's tackled it. Maybe 5x. Of course that's neither here nor there. CSX doesn't give a crap about passenger trains taking people to their offices in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a proposal to build an extra tunnel over the Hudson, which had to be signed off by the governors of the two states! Cuomo signed it! Christie vetoed it! Then came Sandy! And here we are.....!
Actually there have been ideas thrown around about building a "super bridge" over the Hudson and East Rivers. Never happen but an interesting idea nonetheless.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Half of me wishes they'd collapse just to watch the ensuing chaos. (Not while anybody was in there of course).
The chance of collapse is very remote as these tunnels were dug in study bedrock. The likely failures would be crumbling interior wall segments and water leaks leading to serious signal/power failures.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:13 PM

They should just shut it down and renovate it then just like they are planning to do with the L train if I'm not mistaken, and just like they did with the R train. People will kick and scream like a baby that lost it's pacifier but, who cares. There are other ways for New Jerseyiziians to get to their desks in Manhattan every day while it's down.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:48 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
They should just shut it down and renovate it then just like they are planning to do with the L train if I'm not mistaken, and just like they did with the R train. People will kick and scream like a baby that lost it's pacifier but, who cares. There are other ways for New Jerseyiziians to get to their desks in Manhattan every day while it's down.

You cannot just "shut down" the Hudson River tunnels. Aside from Amtrak NJT shoves huge numbers of trains through those portals daily, and there isn't any other alternative for either.

Maybe over seventy years or so ago when the other railroads that served New Jersey had docks/ferries and west side of Hudson was lined with piers something *might* work out.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:12 PM

I'm sure they won't but otherwise nonsense. They could if they really needed to. The bureaucrats and politicians want to keep their jobs so maybe in a decade we'll have an overpriced not-nearly-good-enough solution to this one. Maybe.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
I'm sure they won't but otherwise nonsense. They could if they really needed to. The bureaucrats and politicians want to keep their jobs so maybe in a decade we'll have an overpriced not-nearly-good-enough solution to this one. Maybe.
Shutting it down and renovating would only be a short term fix. The idea is to build new tunnels, then renovate the old ones and end up with double the capacity (which is needed).

Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

What likely will happen is what often does; a major incident will occur linked to those aging tunnels, and then that will light a fire under everyone's behinds.

Those tunnels are literally rotting away as damage from age, use and the waters from super storm Sandy are taking a toll. The latter poured hundreds of gallons of brackish water that has never totally drained out of system. It cannot because the design of drains and such were conceived/built nearly one hundred years ago and not only cannot cope, but in places deep down are clogged with decades of filth.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:30 PM

13 posts, read 11,659 times
NYC needs to issue billions of dollars of 30-100 year bonds ASAP to lock in low interest rates and pay for this project. The city is literally doomed if we can't fix the infrastructure!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:42 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I flipped through the EIS for the project. The entire thing (building the new tunnel and rehabbing the old ones) won't be done until 2030. That's the current projection. Anyone think it'll actually be done before 2040?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City