U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 AM
 
Location: New York
2,584 posts, read 2,677,807 times
Reputation: 745

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Again, am wondering where a TJ's would go if put in Parkchester?
There is a whole swatch of land that is part of the Metronorth plan along E. Tremont that will be razed for commercial redevelopment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,589 posts, read 2,710,863 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
There is a whole swatch of land that is part of the Metronorth plan along E. Tremont that will be razed for commercial redevelopment.
That would require serious development. Is also not that close to the action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 10:37 AM
 
753 posts, read 271,217 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
You OBVIOUSLY do not know Queens at all. The Trader Joe's in Queens is in Woodhaven. That's a pretty non-aspirational location of old time blue-collar white people. (Just the kind of people who stereo-typically would NOT eat healthy food.) Woodhaven is not exactly the bastion of progressiveness. It's there because relatively to the rest of Queens, the land is cheap. I consider that neighborhood no mans land. It's in the middle of nowhere, just like the Home Depot there, the Sport's Authority there couldn't stay in business so it was replace by a Dick's. (Terrible store!) The only draw to the area is the TJs, the Michael's and Home Depot. Otherwise, there is no reason to go that part of town, ever.



With all due respect, if you believe this, then your standards for food are somewhat low bar. The majority of neighborhoods have a few good ethnic restaurants (from whatever the majority of the area is), and that's it. The rest are pretty poor quality and not worth eating in. I won't eat Chinese anywhere other than Elmhurst, Flushing and some parts of Chinatown. It's rare to find a quality Chinese place outside of those areas.



Let me ask you. Do you think C-towns and Associateds have good quality food? (they have horrible food.) If you do, that informs your opinion about TJs.


How would you know? You have already been informed that this axiom is untrue. Why do you think it's priced like Whole Foods? It's CHEAPER than my local Stop and Shop. How more competitive do you need to be? If people can afford to take the Express bus to work every day, they can afford to spend the prices in an average costing supermarket.


Neither do the local supermarkets in almost EVERY neighborhood in NYC, unless you are in a heavy, heavy yuppie neighborhood. And those are rarer than not.


Affordable and crappy take out? I'd eat Trader Joe's over 90% of the take-out places in Ridgewood because the food sucks at those restaurants and I am not willing to pay that much for crappy food. Only in the past two years is there anything worth eating in the hood, and that was because of the millennials moving in. However, eating out for one, vs. eating out for more than one, is also not worth it. I'm not going to spend $40 on a ok restaurant for my daughter and me when I can eat at home, have it taste better, have left overs and not be concerned about my kid snubbing her nose at it.


But there housebrand is taste tested. They do not carry any item. If it doesn't taste good, it isn't carries. It does not have the stigma of no-frills because it is quality products. Now I have bought things at Whole Foods on occasion. I can't say the same thing about them. There food is often under seasoned and bland.



Ah, as I see it, you think Parkchester is bottom of the barrel in terms of income consumption ratio. It's not a wealthy area, but School teachers, Nurses, Law Enforcement, Computer Analyst, Architecture and Engineering, Business and Financial management do have some money to spend. It's unfortunate that these SOLID professions have been priced out of most of the the rest of the city, but that is not a reflection on them, but NYC politics and the oligarchs in charge.

I think you are operating out of some sort of bias, not based on the actual demographics.

Also, you have completely discounted the landscape and geography of the area. It's an area with a ton of big box brands; Macy's, NY & Co, Boltons, Sleepy's, Duane Reade, Starbucks etc. It's right off both the Cross Bronx Expressway, and the Bronx River Parkway. AND, it's close to the subway. Those are pretty important factors.
I'm really not going to go back and forth on this especially with your personal attacks. You are reading way more into my comments than I intend. And you also are not making sense. Like yeah, of course you find good Chinese food in a Chinese ethnic neighborhood. That's the whole point! If you're a Chinese person living in a Chinese neighborhood, then you may not patronize a Trader Joe's store if one opened up there. What are you not getting? This conversation is beyond dumb.

And for what it's worth, I live in Queens now. Also visited with family often growing up. Also lived there for awhile after college and shopped specifically in that stretch where Trader Joe's is located. Also shopped at that specific Trader Joe's before. Also eat out a lot and visit many neighborhoods. But please, go ahead and attack my tastes. It's not like people can have different experiences and preferences, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 10:56 AM
 
Location: New York
2,584 posts, read 2,677,807 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I'm really not going to go back and forth on this especially with your personal attacks. You are reading way more into my comments than I intend. And you also are not making sense. Like yeah, of course you find good Chinese food in a Chinese ethnic neighborhood. That's the whole point! If you're a Chinese person living in a Chinese neighborhood, then you may not patronize a Trader Joe's store if one opened up there. What are you not getting? This conversation is beyond dumb.
What's "dumb" is assuming that if you are ethnic, that the only food you eat is from your country. BIG FAIL. Do you even have friends or worth with people from other countries. They eat EVERYTHING! Furthermore, this is NEW YORK, it isn't Indiana. Chinese food is one of the most common types of cuisine eaten from take out places. It's not unusual or unexpected to expect a decent one IN ALL NEIGHBORHOODS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
But please, go ahead and attack my tastes. It's not like people can have different experiences and preferences, right?
They can. But I find the most unadventurous, non-discerning taste in food, are white ethnics that are third generation NYers. They also have a lot of ideas about people that are based on ideas from 1965 that are not based in reality. Your entire supposition is that a Bangladeshi will only eat Bangladesh food, or a Puerto Rican will only eat PR food, and Chinese will only eat Chinese. And you go on to say that because they only eat that kind of food, their only needs are ethnic grocery stores. Ethnic grocery stores are great for specialty items, but often they are too small to have a wide selection of everything else. If you are a real foodie, then you want selection, a LOT more selection.

I work for a labor union that represents professionals that hold advanced degrees. My office is a microcosm of NY ethnic people. They eat every kind of food witnessed by the food they bring back from outside the office.

And just to finalize the point, some of the most ethnically diverse areas are also meccas for many kinds of food. Astoria for example. It's always been a mecca and now it's taken it to a new level. Woodside and Sunnyside also.

So argument is based on outdated ideas, that people who have enough cojones to move to this country, holding advanced degrees have provincial tastes and never step out of their comfort zone. It's beyond misguided and spreads dangerous stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 11:18 AM
 
1,144 posts, read 393,804 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to tell you that Parkchester overall is mainly a working class area, with some middle class people sprinkled about. Keep in mind that your co-op is *outside* of the main part of Parkchester, which is the actual complex where most live. There aren't many areas of the Bronx like that so it is unique in that regard. Most are either dirt poor or solidly middle class or upper middle to upper class like Riverdale. Am thinking TJ's *might* do well. However you do have some ratchet types there. Am thinking as rents increase further, may see more people with higher incomes arrive to further solidify your argument.
Exactly, there are no other areas like that in the Bronx, which (along with the central, well-connected location and long-established commercial area) is what would make Parkchester the best place for Trader Joe's in the Bronx. It is not the deep South Bronx, but it is South-Central (or East-Central, or maybe even North-Central in some folks' view, as we heard earlier today - in any case, it is central).

Re people living there, again, I have only personal experiences to share. So, I bought this studio in the Parkchester North because I'd like to live in NYC for at least the first decade of my full retirement, but am not fully retired yet and have to be elsewhere, so am renting the place in the meantime. Yes, more than 90% of people that looked into renting my place were the extreme poor, shady, illiterate, Section 8 etc - BUT, I did not end up renting to any of them. My tenant prior to the present one was a young Puerto Rican guy, a manager at a local bank. My present long-term tenant is a late-middle aged Afro-American woman who is not too educated but is rather stylish and life-savvy, and has held a low level healthcare job for more than 15 years. I had also interviewed a very sharp young Afro-American army veteran and part time office worker/part time college student, and almost gave him the lease, but then it emerged that he had a small dog (which would violate the Parkchester no-pet policy). All of these three people, given a choice, would clearly prefer to shop at Trader Joe's to shopping anywhere else, I can tell you that (it even came up directly in conversation with one of them :-). A lot of riff raff tries to get into Parkchester, fewer and fewer succeed.

For the record, I would rent to Aquarius too (my studio, at $960 per month plus electricity bill is well within his means) if I didn't already have a long-term tenant. Aquarius, son, do tell us: would you or would you not shop at Trader Joe's regularly if you lived in my condo for $960 a month, and they had a Trader Joe's in Parkchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 AM
 
1,144 posts, read 393,804 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Again, am wondering where a TJ's would go if put in Parkchester?
Aha... there is an area at the northern edge of Parkchester, close to the future Metro North station, where some small stores and car-related businesses used to be, that someone bought for the future development. Last I have heard , they found some chemical leaks there (related to former car businesses), but possible to clean up. I assume that area will develop in the next 5 years, along with the Metro North station. That area is what I mentioned when I sent e-mail to Trader Joe's, about feasibility of a Parkchester Joe's.

The other area is the old commercial strip on Metropolitan. I surely would have rather seen a Trader Joe than Boston Market in the old Zaro's bakery location, but there are other possible places along that strip.

Or, maybe Trader Joe's could pay something to C-Town on Unionport (Parkchester North) to take over their location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: New York
2,584 posts, read 2,677,807 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I thought Woodhaven these days was mostly Hispanics, Guyanese, Asians, and Eastern Europeans, not Howard Beach type white people.

There really aren't any Archie Bunker neighborhoods left that aren't on the fringes of the city and suburban.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Richmond Hill? It's not the same area as the crossroad of Woodhaven Blvd and Metropolitan avenue.

There are plenty of Archie Bunker neighborhoods. Up until about 5 years ago, Ridgewood was that way, at least in terms of the people who owned property on the side streets. (I'm moving from there in order to own) My ex-h was telling me about our neighbor (who he was working with) who had a collection of Nazi memorabilia and the whole crew that worked with him, had some pejorative racial epithet about everyone except Germans and Italian people. 10 years ago, it was rare you ever saw an African American in the area. It's still somewhat rare, just less rare. Then there are neighboring hoods, Maspeth and Glendale. They are even worse because unlike Ridgewood, they don't have the eastern European immigrants. I've been to the CB5 meetings! Let's just say true colors came out when there was a proposal about housing a homeless shelter, first in Glendale and then after a boycott in Maspeth. Despite court losses, Glendale group continues its long fight to stop a homeless shelter - QNS.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 11:39 AM
 
Location: New York
2,584 posts, read 2,677,807 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Aha... there is an area at the northern edge of Parkchester, close to the future Metro North station, where some small stores and car-related businesses used to be, that someone bought for the future development. Last I have heard , they found some chemical leaks there (related to former car businesses), but possible to clean up. I assume that area will develop in the next 5 years, along with the Metro North station. That area is what I mentioned when I sent e-mail to Trader Joe's, about feasibility of a Parkchester Joe's.

The other area is the old commercial strip on Metropolitan. I surely would have rather seen a Trader Joe than Boston Market in the old Zaro's bakery location, but there are other possible places along that strip.

Or, maybe Trader Joe's could pay something to C-Town on Unionport (Parkchester North) to take over their location.
LOL. The Marshall's could go. As far as the chemical leak, I think they have to clean it up. They are planning on building residential condos there as well as businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 11:47 AM
 
1,144 posts, read 393,804 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
LOL. The Marshall's could go. As far as the chemical leak, I think they have to clean it up. They are planning on building residential condos there as well as businesses.
Incidentally, in downtown Boston, the Marshall's is a few blocks away from Trader Joe's, so it could be in Parkchester too ( although I would also like to see Trader Joe's in that old Parkchester movie theater instead of the Marshalls... although neither is exactly historic preservation... the best option would be a museum-type something... The Bronx Museum of Immigration maybe? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 11:48 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,579,683 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Richmond Hill? It's not the same area as the crossroad of Woodhaven Blvd and Metropolitan avenue.

There are plenty of Archie Bunker neighborhoods. Up until about 5 years ago, Ridgewood was that way, at least in terms of the people who owned property on the side streets. (I'm moving from there in order to own) My ex-h was telling me about our neighbor (who he was working with) who had a collection of Nazi memorabilia and the whole crew that worked with him, had some pejorative racial epithet about everyone except Germans and Italian people. 10 years ago, it was rare you ever saw an African American in the area. It's still somewhat rare, just less rare. Then there are neighboring hoods, Maspeth and Glendale. They are even worse because unlike Ridgewood, they don't have the eastern European immigrants. I've been to the CB5 meetings! Let's just say true colors came out when there was a proposal about housing a homeless shelter, first in Glendale and then after a boycott in Maspeth. Despite court losses, Glendale group continues its long fight to stop a homeless shelter - QNS.com
The Archie Bunker neighborhoods have definitely dwindled though, the Archie Bunkers have largely left South Brooklyn.

Glendale doesn't have subway service so I can see why it may have remained an Archie Bunker neighborhood. But Ridgewood I would think has too many Hispanics and Hipsters to still be like that.

Urban NYC in my opinion, is largely incompatible with what the average Trump supporter wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top