Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in disagreement. Have seen various *Made in USA* items from TJ's with such writing clearly on the back and know for a fact. Can remind you of what happens to those who assume...
1. If it says made in the USA, it is made in the USA.

2. If it says made in Germany, it is made in Germany.

3. If it says made in Italy, it is made in Italy.

4. If it says nothing, it is made in the USA

Now all of this is in accordance with the mCOOL, or mandatory Country Of Origin Labeling (COOL), a requirement signed into American law under Title X of the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2001.

The manufacturers who make processed foods have to maintain records of the origins of their ingredients for FDA review as per §304 of the Tariff Act of 1930 as amended (19 U.S.C. § 1304), stating "every imported item must be conspicuously and indelibly marked in English to indicate to the “ultimate purchaser” its country of origin." According to the U.S. Customs, generally defined the “ultimate purchaser” is the last U.S. person who will receive the goods in the form in which it was imported.

It should be noted that some of the source ingredients in a processed product may have various countries of origin and only the production of the final product must be labelled (unless the final processing is in the US), but this is true for any processed product made by any American brand manufacturer. Aldi is not a standout in this. For all we know the preservatives in good ol' American corn flakes come from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
1. If it says made in the USA, it is made in the USA.

2. If it says made in Germany, it is made in Germany.

3. If it says made in Italy, it is made in Italy.

4. If it says nothing, it is made in the USA

Now all of this is in accordance with the mCOOL, or mandatory Country Of Origin Labeling (COOL), a requirement signed into American law under Title X of the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2001.

The manufacturers who make processed foods have to maintain records of the origins of their ingredients for FDA review as per §304 of the Tariff Act of 1930 as amended (19 U.S.C. § 1304), stating "every imported item must be conspicuously and indelibly marked in English to indicate to the “ultimate purchaser” its country of origin." According to the U.S. Customs, generally defined the “ultimate purchaser” is the last U.S. person who will receive the goods in the form in which it was imported.

It should be noted that some of the source ingredients in a processed product may have various countries of origin and only the production of the final product must be labelled (unless the final processing is in the US), but this is true for any processed product made by any American brand manufacturer. Aldi is not a standout in this. For all we know the preservatives in good ol' American corn flakes come from China.
Disgusting. Wouldn't know, since I don't buy foods with preservatives. Again, prefer to patronize businesses that are forthcoming about the sourcing of their products, and can tell you Aldi's and TJ's don't fit that bill. One thing that annoys me is mislabeling. Can tell you it happens at WF too and am constantly on the watch. When looking for organic fruit that is in season, will look for *Made in USA* blueberries, apples, blackberries or whatever. If mislabeled (can tell by packaging and the codes on the fruit), will simply not buy it and look for something else local and organic. Am here to tell you many shoppers are not very savvy about origins of food, etc.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I'm with you on processed food, I am a meat and veg guy myself, but for someone who doesn't eat processed foods and doesn't shop at Aldi or Trader Joe's, you sure seem to know a lot about their processed food labelling practices.

And if you only shop at stores that are more "forthcoming about the sourcing of their products", I assume you are a hunter/gatherer because Aldi and Trader Joe'e labelling practices are exactly the same as any other food retailer in the United States.

If you fundamentally disagree, you have a smashing class action lawsuit on your hands. Hey get it started, let us know here on the forum and we can all go home with some scratch in our pockets.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I'm with you on processed food, I am a meat and veg guy myself, but for someone who doesn't eat processed foods and doesn't shop at Aldi or Trader Joe's, you sure seem to know a lot about their processed food labelling practices.

And if you only shop at stores that are more "forthcoming about the sourcing of their products", I assume you are a hunter/gatherer because Aldi and Trader Joe'e labelling practices are exactly the same as any other food retailer in the United States.

If you fundamentally disagree, you have a smashing class action lawsuit on your hands. Hey get it started, let us know here on the forum and we can all go home with some scratch in our pockets.
Considered making TJ's part of my repertoire of stores to frequent, but didn't meet standards. Researched them and was impressed. Have eaten some of their food due to girlfriend shopping there when she wants a break from WF or Fairway or whatever. Can tell you they're *OK* for some items, but still don't shop there.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
I'm pretty sure there's no proof that organic is either healthier or better for the environment

Old 07-19-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm pretty sure there's no proof that organic is either healthier or better for the environment
Can tell you there's no proof that organic isn't healthier or better. Cannot understand why some think that eating *food* pumped with God knows what can be *healthy* for you. Am here to tell you, the body was made for eating *REAL* food.

Quote:
Considered making TJ's part of my repertoire of stores to frequent, but didn't meet standards. Researched them and wasn't impressed. Have eaten some of their food due to girlfriend shopping there when she wants a break from WF or Fairway or whatever. Can tell you they're *OK* for some items, but still don't shop there.
Am correcting last post to read *WASN'T IMPRESSED*.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:04 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Can tell you there's no proof that organic isn't healthier or better. Cannot understand why some think that eating *food* pumped with God knows what can be *healthy* for you. Am here to tell you, the body was made for eating *REAL* food.

Am correcting last post to read *WASN'T IMPRESSED*.
Organic food taste better. Let me repeat that. It taste better.

In the past twenty years, I have noticed an alarming depreciation in the taste of tomatoes. They used to be fresh packed full of flavors that would explode in your mouth. Now they are meh.

Do people even care about the TASTE of their food? My daughter didn't even eat tomatoes until we went to Italy and discovered what a good tomato taste like. I'll be the first person to admit that I'm not willing to spend $8.00lb for artisanal tomatoes; but it isn't because of the quality, but the cost. It wasn't that long ago, maybe 10 years ago, you could get New Jersey tomatoes for $0.49 lb that did taste good. But a few years ago there was a crop that was wiped out; the prices went up, and the tastes depreciated.

So there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with wanting, even demanding produce that is not mass produced and maximized for superficial things like how they look. While you do want to protect the product from being too delicate to ship and for spoilage, it has gone to far and eliminated everything that makes these things special.

I've been reading about movers and shakers in the Bronx. One Parkchester resident created a group called Virginia GIVES. She is all about restoring the parks in the area, but much more. Anyway, something she said somewhere is that you a) have the right to ask for nice things, b) you're not going to get them if you don't ask for them. c) we all have a right to have a nice community with amenities that serve the residents that live there.

I was reading the census data in my new building. The majority is between 30-50 with nearly 1/2 with children. 33% were 100% non-hispanic white. Another 40% were hispanic. The rest were Asian and other. 40% of them were professionals that worked in offices. 30% worked in education and health care.

So I think a lot of this argument is based on mythical demographics. Parkchester is far more upward mobile than people give it credit. In looking out the window, basically the people look the same as in my current neighborhood except some have better tans.

Furthermore, I did a reading where the comments, over and over said they wanted better food options. https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...ty-ny/reviews/

Lastly, I found out yesterday that an area that really looks blighted is Parkchester right on E. Tremont near Unionport, is like that because in 2015, the heir to some commercial property sold it to a developer to build a high-rise mixed-use luxury/commercial property in that location. They haven't started building there yet, but it was purchased for that very purpose.

So the 'gentrification' that is reportedly "never" going to happen has actually already started. This is factual. I have read that on threads going back to 2012 where people were talking about how much the area has changed. So the speculation is NOT whether it will come. The speculation is how current residents and those with a vested interest SHAPE how it plays out.

I think keeping Parkchester as a multi-generational community that caters to all ages is a good idea. But since all generations like quality food; since eating healthily has pretty much permeated all classes in knowledge and education, I vote for better grocery stores and better restaurants (somewhat happening already with the Parkchester CSA since 2009 Parkchester CSA | Just Food). Coupled with cleaned up parks (already in progress since 2012 https://www.facebook.com/pg/GIVE.Inc...=page_internal), new trees (city is doing that with the MetroNorth project), some improved bike access to get to the nearby larger city parks, and maybe a few more exercise options..... That would be perfect for me. I'm probably the poster child for what's coming although that pavement was paved before I got there.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Take a look at this map. It's quite telling about every hood in NYC.

The Displacement Alert Project Map | ANHD

Old 07-22-2017, 12:37 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Organic food taste better. Let me repeat that. It taste better.

In the past twenty years, I have noticed an alarming depreciation in the taste of tomatoes. They used to be fresh packed full of flavors that would explode in your mouth. Now they are meh.

Do people even care about the TASTE of their food? My daughter didn't even eat tomatoes until we went to Italy and discovered what a good tomato taste like. I'll be the first person to admit that I'm not willing to spend $8.00lb for artisanal tomatoes; but it isn't because of the quality, but the cost. It wasn't that long ago, maybe 10 years ago, you could get New Jersey tomatoes for $0.49 lb that did taste good. But a few years ago there was a crop that was wiped out; the prices went up, and the tastes depreciated.

So there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with wanting, even demanding produce that is not mass produced and maximized for superficial things like how they look. While you do want to protect the product from being too delicate to ship and for spoilage, it has gone to far and eliminated everything that makes these things special.

I've been reading about movers and shakers in the Bronx. One Parkchester resident created a group called Virginia GIVES. She is all about restoring the parks in the area, but much more. Anyway, something she said somewhere is that you a) have the right to ask for nice things, b) you're not going to get them if you don't ask for them. c) we all have a right to have a nice community with amenities that serve the residents that live there.

I was reading the census data in my new building. The majority is between 30-50 with nearly 1/2 with children. 33% were 100% non-hispanic white. Another 40% were hispanic. The rest were Asian and other. 40% of them were professionals that worked in offices. 30% worked in education and health care.

So I think a lot of this argument is based on mythical demographics. Parkchester is far more upward mobile than people give it credit. In looking out the window, basically the people look the same as in my current neighborhood except some have better tans.

Furthermore, I did a reading where the comments, over and over said they wanted better food options. https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...ty-ny/reviews/

Lastly, I found out yesterday that an area that really looks blighted is Parkchester right on E. Tremont near Unionport, is like that because in 2015, the heir to some commercial property sold it to a developer to build a high-rise mixed-use luxury/commercial property in that location. They haven't started building there yet, but it was purchased for that very purpose.

So the 'gentrification' that is reportedly "never" going to happen has actually already started. This is factual. I have read that on threads going back to 2012 where people were talking about how much the area has changed. So the speculation is NOT whether it will come. The speculation is how current residents and those with a vested interest SHAPE how it plays out.

I think keeping Parkchester as a multi-generational community that caters to all ages is a good idea. But since all generations like quality food; since eating healthily has pretty much permeated all classes in knowledge and education, I vote for better grocery stores and better restaurants (somewhat happening already with the Parkchester CSA since 2009 Parkchester CSA | Just Food). Coupled with cleaned up parks (already in progress since 2012 https://www.facebook.com/pg/GIVE.Inc...=page_internal), new trees (city is doing that with the MetroNorth project), some improved bike access to get to the nearby larger city parks, and maybe a few more exercise options..... That would be perfect for me. I'm probably the poster child for what's coming although that pavement was paved before I got there.
Great post.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:08 AM

14 posts, read 15,072 times
I skimmed most of this once it got into trader Joe's needs, but I live in Mott Haven, South Bronx, and an Aldi, ctown, finefare, met, pioneer, and a farmer's market are all walking from my house (or yeah, the whole foods is one stop away on the six). Organic and bulk is available and meat markets on 149th have amazing grass fed cuts. It's not difficult or expensive to eat mindfully.

To go back to the original point, and the nyt piece, if people are having their rent upped 1000 to 1500 in the 130's that is the problem. There are more than enough options for healthy food if you shop with health in mind, not enough options for healthy apartments. I'm hoping that the new developments work well for health and that the federal government will allocate the funds to fix the issues with the current nycha homes. Everyone needs a safe place to live.

PS
No one buy hot house tomatoes and they will taste like food (Jersey has it's export season in late July/August and they are still delicious)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City