U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:23 AM

19,175 posts, read 32,707,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
OyC, I think it is more broadly about making the Bronx more livable and attractive to middle-income people (who are being seriously priced out of Manhattan +/- Brooklyn).
It's a little tougher in certain parts of the Bronx, namely anything west of Webster Avenue. A lot of single family dwellings sit on top of rock outcroppings and have other structural factors, like sitting on top of columns, etc due to the topography. Long steps to get to the house, etc. This makes keeping up with these properties expensive, even though the house is on the market for $300K. The DOB just offered a free program where they would come inspect your retaining wall for free until the end of this month.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 07-30-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 AM

1,144 posts, read 392,379 times
SeventhFloor, that's good to hear. I don't mind paying my taxes for something worthwhile like that kind of program. How do the Bronx homeowners get informed about things like that, though? How does a person get informed about the Bronx in general, except by the word of mouth?

Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Sign up to get updates from the DOB's website - it would be the first thing I would do if I was buying a home in NYC. I'm in the industry so I know about this stuff already. Also sign up to the city's general website, I'm sure you can get email updates there.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Cool, thank you 7th (although I already bought a condo in the Bronx, but cannot live there yet, and am renting it out in the meantime - just following the neighborhood news to see how the neighborhood is doing). But how do you let the potentially very interested people outside the Bronx know (eg, people moving into NYC who do not have enough $ to buy/rent in Manhattan or Brooklyn, or New Yorkers who can no longer afford to rent in these two boroughs due to the rent amount) - how do you let these people know that the Bronx exists as a living option (probably as THE living option) for them in NYC?

Old 07-30-2017, 02:41 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,636,575 times
Quote:
Cool, thank you 7th (although I already bought a condo in the Bronx, but cannot live there yet, and am renting it out in the meantime - just following the neighborhood news to see how the neighborhood is doing). But how do you let the potentially very interested people outside the Bronx know (eg, people moving into NYC who do not have enough $ to buy/rent in Manhattan or Brooklyn, or New Yorkers who can no longer afford to rent in these two boroughs due to the rent amount) - how do you let these people know that the Bronx exists as a living option (probably as THE living option) for them in NYC?
They find out ,don't worry. Recently a young Mormon transplant couple with an infant child from Salt Lake City, Utah bought an apartment in my building. They had never really spent any time in NYC before, he got a teaching job in Manhattan and a Manhattan broker who they contacted about looking for a place to buy for $200,000 brought them to The Bronx and showed them apartments. All of the people buying apartments in my building now are from Manhattan,Brooklyn,Queens or out of state. 5 years ago that was unheard of. Not many people from outside of The Bronx would touch The Bronx. Now the apartments in my building are selling in days, not weeks or months, often at above listing price because of bidding wars...to people from outside The Bronx.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-30-2017 at 02:50 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 03:03 PM

10,334 posts, read 7,244,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They find out ,don't worry. Recently a young Mormon transplant couple with an infant child from Salt Lake City, Utah bought an apartment in my building. They had never really spent any time in NYC before, he got a teaching job in Manhattan and a Manhattan broker who they contacted about looking for a place to buy for $200,000 brought them to The Bronx and showed them apartments. All of the people buying apartments in my building now are from Manhattan,Brooklyn,Queens or out of state. 5 years ago that was unheard of. Not many people from outside of The Bronx would touch The Bronx. Now the apartments in my building are selling in days, not weeks or months, often at above listing price because of bidding wars...to people from outside The Bronx.
Everywhere in NYC is expensive they no choice but The Bronx and Staten Island is boring for them lol

Old 07-30-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Its the truth, even in rentals....for rentals its been happening at least a decade now. New people renting are from other parts of the city.....interesting to say the least.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:20 PM

Bluedog2, I am starting to cautiously believe that you are right. I have owned a small condo in Parkchester since 2008, and for 7-8 years the price of 1-bdrm condos in Parkchester was glued to about $95k. Last year, for the first time, the cost of such condos had moved slightly up to $110-125k range. This year, the same condos are being marketed for $125-150k. Folks, if you want to buy in Parkchester still for cheap, now seems to be the time. The Sotheby's realtor who listed the Parkchester 1-bdrm with the historic postcard is a young Afro-American lady that definitely has an upscale professional air about her, and who apparently normally brokers real estate sales in Westchester County (and her company, Sotheby's, is of course a luxury-property real estate company)... well, if she is interested in Parkchester and can bring her clients there, that is obviously a different kind of news (I mean, very different from what Parkchester had ever been). Nevertheless, I think people still don't know about the Bronx. I travel around the country a lot for work, and people tend to think I am insane when I tell them I bought a condo for my retirement in the Bronx.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Bluedog2, I am starting to cautiously believe that you are right. I have owned a small condo in Parkchester since 2008, and for 7-8 years the price of 1-bdrm condos in Parkchester was glued to about $95k. Last year, for the first time, the cost of such condos had moved slightly up to $110-125k range. This year, the same condos are being marketed for $125-150k. Folks, if you want to buy in Parkchester still for cheap, now seems to be the time. The Sotheby's realtor who listed the Parkchester 1-bdrm with the historic postcard is a young Afro-American lady that definitely has an upscale professional air about her, and who apparently normally brokers real estate sales in Westchester County (and her company, Sotheby's, is of course a luxury-property real estate company)... well, if she is interested in Parkchester and can bring her clients there, that is obviously a different kind of news (I mean, very different from what Parkchester had ever been). Nevertheless, I think people still don't know about the Bronx. I travel around the country a lot for work, and people tend to think I am insane when I tell them I bought a condo for my retirement in the Bronx.
It's all true. I am about to drop gems in here - but if you're looking to buy, all you gotta do is look within the last 3 stops of a train line in the outer boroughs, longer commute but you save money and get a seat. If you want to save more money, you take the bus to the train, that's all it is.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 AM

6,839 posts, read 4,435,858 times
Dudes are hungry in the Bronx....

Hunt for NYC thief who jumped over Bronx fast food counter | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or