U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 AM

2,584 posts, read 2,677,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Impossible for a two bedroom in the Bronx... Pretty much. It's almost impossible now even in the worst areas of the Bronx. On another note, this will hopefully shut up the people that keep claiming that the Bronx is cheap because it isn't anymore. $1500+ is starting to become the standard overall for most one bedrooms which is on par with a lot of Queens.

The Bronx was built differently than other boroughs, and that is something that tends to be overlooked. The lack of amenities isn't just due to lower wages either because even the higher incomes areas generally lack amenities. If and when a consensus is reached for Bronxites to shop within the Bronx as opposed to going to Manhattan or Westchester then that will be when things really change.
And that's where I hope I can change your mind (based on your comments.) A few weeks ago, I was waiting for a friend at the Parkchester train station. We had a miscommunication about where we were meeting so I stood around for around 15 minutes (and it seemed like hours because even in the station, when it's 4 outside, it's cold!!!). I give my solemn oath, it was absolutely astounding how many grocery bags from Whole Foods I saw exiting the turnstyle. And so when I see people say, "People don't want good food." It's a bonafide lie. They do want it. I would say being willing to haul groceries in, on the subway from Manhattan on a crowded, standing room only train means people are VERY motivated and should be appealing to those in that business. Stereotypes need to go away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:24 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,574,584 times
Quote:
Impossible for a two bedroom in the Bronx... Pretty much. It's almost impossible now even in the worst areas of the Bronx. On another note, this will hopefully shut up the people that keep claiming that the Bronx is cheap because it isn't anymore. $1500+ is starting to become the standard overall for most one bedrooms which is on par with a lot of Queens.

The Bronx was built differently than other boroughs, and that is something that tends to be overlooked. The lack of amenities isn't just due to lower wages either because even the higher incomes areas generally lack amenities. If and when a consensus is reached for Bronxites to shop within the Bronx as opposed to going to Manhattan or Westchester then that will be when things really change.
Some yuppies are so used to paying massive rents that they genuinely think anything under $2000 is "cheap"

Old 01-24-2018, 09:49 AM

7,589 posts, read 2,707,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
And that's where I hope I can change your mind (based on your comments.) A few weeks ago, I was waiting for a friend at the Parkchester train station. We had a miscommunication about where we were meeting so I stood around for around 15 minutes (and it seemed like hours because even in the station, when it's 4 outside, it's cold!!!). I give my solemn oath, it was absolutely astounding how many grocery bags from Whole Foods I saw exiting the turnstyle. And so when I see people say, "People don't want good food." It's a bonafide lie. They do want it. I would say being willing to haul groceries in, on the subway from Manhattan on a crowded, standing room only train means people are VERY motivated and should be appealing to those in that business. Stereotypes need to go away.
It's also the politicians like Díaz in the Bronx that are the problem. They keep bringing in the same ridiculous stores... They applaud stores like Aldi's opening up. I mean there is nothing wrong with an Aldi's, but lobby for some real high-end stores to come to the Bronx. If you keep bringing in the same stores and making a big deal about Starbucks coming to the neighborhood, then you won't get any progress. They need to get with the times and look at what other boroughs have in terms of amenities.

The Borough President knows very well that a lot of Bronxites that DO have money DON'T shop in the Bronx. They drive to Westchester regularly or they go to Manhattan. The Bronx is also very segregated in terms of neighborhoods being cut off geographically so people in one neighborhood either stay in their neighborhood or again go to Manhattan or Westchester and back to their neighborhood. People that live in City Island I'm sure will just drive up to Pelham to shop. There's also a safety issue. The good parts of the Bronx... A lot of the residents won't go to the other parts of the Bronx because even when there's a decent store that opens up, it gets run down and is mismanaged, so there's the ghetto element and atmosphere that is an instant turnoff.

I can name at least five neighborhoods in the Bronx with median household incomes near or above $70,000:

Woodlawn
Pelham Gardens
Throggs Neck (includes all subsections)
Clason Point
Pelham Parkway - closer to $60,000, but still mainly middle class

The neighborhoods below are all above $80,000 or $90,000:

Riverdale
Fieldston (subsection of Riverdale)
Spuyten Duyvil (subsection of Riverdale)
North Riverdale (subsection of Riverdale)
Country Club
City Island

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 01-24-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
It's also the politicians like Díaz in the Bronx that are the problem. They keep bringing in the same ridiculous stores... They applaud stores like Aldi's opening up.
Actually I had an email conversation with one of the constutient representatives at his office. Her exact quote was: "Aldi's, a very low quality supermarket. They have placed two of those here in The Bronx. This is not what we want, need or deserve."

She also mentioned that she has contacted several higher quality markets who have consistently ignored her queries for the past 7 years. These businesses will only be empowered when the masses start harassing them too.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:41 AM

7,589 posts, read 2,707,651 times
Quote:
Actually I had an email conversation with one of the constutient representatives at his office. Her exact quote was: "Aldi's, a very low quality supermarket. They have placed two of those here in The Bronx. This is not what we want, need or deserve."

She also mentioned that she has contacted several higher quality markets who have consistently ignored her queries for the past 7 years. These businesses will only be empowered when the masses start harassing them too.
While she may have said that, you have several politicians that have applauded such "additions". If you lump the entire borough into this whole poverty nonsense, you'll never get anything of quality there and you'll continue to keep having people think that the entire Bronx is one poor dump. The elected officials need to find a balance between serving the needs of legitimately poor Bronxites, as well as middle, and upper middle class Bronxites. I listed several neighborhoods that have median incomes over $80,000, but you also have numerous parts of the Bronx where sizable pockets come up with incomes near or above $100,000, so there are people with money living in the Bronx. Putting Riverdale aside, City Island, parts of Throggs Neck and Country Club are good examples of that.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Some yuppies are so used to paying massive rents that they genuinely think anything under $2000 is "cheap"
Cheap is relative. If you are informed about what things cost, just because it's not cheap doesn't mean it's not cheap by NYC standards.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Cheap is relative. If you are informed about what things cost, just because it's not cheap doesn't mean it's not cheap by NYC standards.
That's barely even cheap by NYC standards considering you can find places in Brooklyn and Queens for not that much more. If you want to compare it only to Manhattan and yuppie BK then sure, but that's not saying much.

The average HHI in most of the South Bronx and West Bronx (not counting Riverdale and Kingsbridge) is very low, how can such neighborhoods command rents that require a salary at least twice as high as the average household income?

Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
That's barely even cheap by NYC standards considering you can find places in Brooklyn and Queens for not that much more. If you want to compare it only to Manhattan and yuppie BK then sure, but that's not saying much.

The average HHI in most of the South Bronx and West Bronx (not counting Riverdale and Kingsbridge) is very low, how can such neighborhoods command rents that require a salary at least twice as high as the average household income?
Easy: Supply and demand. It's an owners market.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Easy: Supply and demand. It's an owners market.
Maybe it's not that simple, I bet government intervention plays a role.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 18 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Quote:
Maybe it's not that simple, I bet government intervention plays a role.
I think you like to ask questions that you already know the answers to

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or