U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:35 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,551,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They need to displace a lot of people in the Bronx. I hope they do. I only have pity for the elderly and handicapped. All else move aside and head down to Ocala. Its life.
The rising rents are only gonna hurt the people who have market rate apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 07:47 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The rising rents are only gonna hurt the people who have market rate apartments.
The ghetto areas have *TONS* of supportive housing, so in order for the areas to improve, you need people with higher incomes to move in and more creation of regular market rate housing. That's the only way things improve, just like you're seeing in parts of Harlem.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:14 PM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Not entirely true. Landlords will scheme to get rid of rent stabilized apartments and as rents go up they stop taking housing programs. Of course this doesn't affect the projects or people in other specialized low income housing.

I've heard people on welfare programs say they can no longer get an apartment in the South Bronx. They have to go the worst parts of Brooklyn, Jamaica, Queens, or neighborhoods like Wakefield and

You know things are moving along when South Bronx landlords reject welfare clients,

Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 PM

9,910 posts, read 7,681,611 times
Quote:
That is an unfortunate result of liberal policy. You vote them in, then you have to pay the consequences. Government produced inflation is troublesome for many, but of course democrats would never acknowledge it, or take accountability for it.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 PM

878 posts, read 536,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Are they saying that a 1500 rent is expensive?!?

That is expensive...
For a Studio...
In the South Bronx...

Come on now.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
That is expensive...
For a Studio...
In the South Bronx...

Come on now.
Am here to tell you can get a studio in prime Riverdale for that due to the lack of a subway, and for a $300 more a month, a one bedroom starts in that range and goes up to $2495 depending on building and amenities.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:05 AM

366 posts, read 176,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to tell you can get a studio in prime Riverdale for that due to the lack of a subway, and for a $300 more a month, a one bedroom starts in that range and goes up to $2495 depending on building and amenities.
Yes but the thing about $1300 studio in the South Bronx vs Riverdale are the people sometimes.

$1300 for a studio is a lot when your neighbors don't care if trash is littered all over the street. $1300 for a studio is a lot when your neighbors don't care about the cleanliness of the building and trash that area as well, at least IMHO.

I live in the Bronx and I am going through this right now and I'm paying WAY more than $1300 and miserable because of the neighbors.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
Yes but the thing about $1300 studio in the South Bronx vs Riverdale are the people sometimes.

$1300 for a studio is a lot when your neighbors don't care if trash is littered all over the street. $1300 for a studio is a lot when your neighbors don't care about the cleanliness of the building and trash that area as well, at least IMHO.

I live in the Bronx and I am going through this right now and I'm paying WAY more than $1300 and miserable because of the neighbors.
Am not sure where $1300 came from. Said $1500. One would have to make $60,000 at a minimum to afford a studio in Riverdale, and there, sometimes they make the financial requirements higher to keep out such riff-raff. There are some other differences too, such as how much square feet you get, and whether or not such a studio is in a co-op where tenants will be screened rigorously.

Am thinking in the South Bronx, one may not get the same level of scrutinity of finances, allowing some to perhaps deal drugs or whatever to come up with the rent. Riverdale is a white collar, suburban area and tends to attract such individuals. When factoring in the lack of subway and the need to spend much more for the MetroNorth or express bus service, it becomes more expensive.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-09-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:22 AM

366 posts, read 176,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am not sure where $1300 came from. Said $1500. One would have to make $60,000 at a minimum to afford a studio in Riverdale, and there, sometimes they make the financial requirements higher to keep out such riff-raff. There are some other differences too, such as how much square feet you get, and whether or not such a studio is in a co-op where tenants will be screened rigorously.

Am thinking in the South Bronx, one may not get the same level of scrutinity of finances, allowing some to perhaps deal drugs or whatever to come up with the rent. Riverdale is a white collar, suburban area and tends to attract such individuals. When factoring in the lack of subway and the need to spend much more for the MetroNorth or express bus service, it becomes more expensive.
$1500, my mistake. My point is some of the rents in the Bronx don't correlate with the area, most because of your neighbors.

The South Bronx maybe hasn't always gotten the same scrutiny as Riverdale, or other nicer areas but when I seen landlords wanting a credit score of 680+ for a neighborhood that is considered high crime I believe they are trying to find a new class (lack of a better word) of tenants.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
$1500, my mistake. My point is some of the rents in the Bronx don't correlate with the area, most because of your neighbors.

The South Bronx maybe hasn't always gotten the same scrutiny as Riverdale, or other nicer areas but when I seen landlords wanting a credit score of 680+ for a neighborhood that is considered high crime I believe they are trying to find a new class (lack of a better word) of tenants.
Can tell you that the South Bronx and Riverdale won't attract the same type of people. Riverdale has always been safe, and is an established upper middle to upper class area that tends to attract Manhattanites looking for more space or starting a family or those from other areas in white collar positions. Most of the building owners understand the history of the area, and work diligently to keep it that way. Can tell you when you have a large number of politicians living in the area, that says something about the neighborhood. The South Bronx meanwhile is trying to re-establish itself as a good place. Those looking for a quick commute to Manhattan with the subway will look at the South Bronx and may be willing to forgo quality of life issues, which is apparently what you did. Those looking at Riverdale will understand that it is a bedroom community, with not much in the way of nightlife, family-oriented, with no subway access, which can be a turnoff for some since everyone swears by the subway despite how horrendous it has become, and so it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or