U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM

366 posts, read 177,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Follow the Amtrak tracks on the map to get a good idea where the proposed stations will be. That will inform you the part of these areas that will be close to the stations. So the one in Morris park will be close to Albert Einstein school of medicine. The other will be in North Parkchester where it crosses over Van Nest. I have made an approximate map of where it will be.
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/vi...rth/8Q0z5irw5Q

I guess it depends on where you live. Same with Morris Park. As I mentioned, the apartment I looked at there was in Brady court. Beautiful complex, but a good hike from the subway.

Where I'm buying now is Archer cooperative which is 5 min from the train. So like all neigbhorhoods, it depends on where you look.

Here is the Bronx bus map. Green is express. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbx.pdf

Here are rentals in the Bronx.
https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/40.8...0_price/16_zm/

Here are coops and home in the Bronx.
https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Bron...-250000_price/

I actually prefer Redfin because it tells you the maintenance too.
How did you find your apartment? If you don't mind me asking.

Congratulations :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 07:03 PM

7,592 posts, read 2,714,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I didn't know Morris Park was getting a MetroNorth stop also.

When we interviewed at Parkchester the woman said that she has to put on the application No Pets. I thought the policy odd since my friend who lives there says cats were ok and we saw a dog within the complex. I just hate that some of the apartments are sooooo far from the train at Parkchester. BF hated it but I would take a express bus if need be.

I leave for work early now because I like avoiding the rush hour crowds.
The Morris Park MetroNorth will be near Eastchester Rd and Morris Park Avenue near the Albert Einstein campus. The Parkchester MetroNorth station will be located closest to the BxM6 express bus in the northern part of the Parkchester complex. Can tell you most people that live away from the complex just take the BxM6 bus. It only makes three stops and then heads straight to Manhattan. Given the skells that ride the 6 train, it is a much better, safer ride. For Parkchester, the southern portion of the complex offers the most amenities, but can also tell you that the greater Parkchester area offers a lot too. Roseaba is moving to a place outside of the actual complex, but it is still close to the subway, express bus and the other amenities.

Am thinking that Parkchester will improve as prices go up (on the renting side) and bring in higher incomes and would be better than the South Bronx.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:06 PM

20,196 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Are there any neighborhoods in the Bronx that have actually made the transition in the last couple decades from a sketchy to decent neighborhood (unlike, say, Riverdale, which simply was a great neighborhood already)? If so, which neighborhoods?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are there any neighborhoods in the Bronx that have actually made the transition in the last couple decades from a sketchy to decent neighborhood (unlike, say, Riverdale, which simply was a great neighborhood already)? If so, which neighborhoods?
The answer to that is no. Despite all of the hyping and the ridiculous prices in the South Bronx, quality of life issues remain. The Bronx for so many years has been segregated from an economic and demographic level. The white areas remained so for a while and the black and brown areas remained depressed economically. Now for the first time, we are seeing a bit more integration. The white areas have diversified a little bit, but are still majority white overall and tend to be the neighborhoods talked about when speaking of the good parts of the Bronx. That hasn't really changed. Most of the horrid areas are still majority minority, but are *MUCH* better than they were in just five years ago. More working class people are moving in, something the Bronx desperately needs, in addition to the type of people living in Riverdale which are upper middle to upper class.

Despite us talking about quality of life issues in the South Bronx, it is improving. The difference is those areas like won't take off like Williamsburg did because of the amount of supportive housing and PJs. There are major rezoning projects going on that will make things better, but I don't foresee the Bronx becoming another Brooklyn despite it becoming quite expensive. Rents have risen in the Bronx at alarming rates, so something will have to give sooner or later as people with more disposable income demand more amenities and less riff-raff.

Parkchester and Pelham Parkway are two of the decent areas that are not majority white and are quite diverse. They don't match up with Riverdale or Country Club or City Island, but are still okay overall.

One reason why Riverdale is so unique is because it's been protected as the crown jewel from the beginning. It was created as a place for the rich back in the old days and it has maintained that cachet. The only thing close to it is Country Club and parts of Throggs Neck along the water and perhaps City Island, and they are quite different areas from Riverdale for a number of reasons. The areas seeing revitalization will also see *LOTS* of affordable housing, so they're won't be a rush of upper class people coming, but perhaps some.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:15 PM

366 posts, read 177,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The Morris Park MetroNorth will be near Eastchester Rd and Morris Park Avenue near the Albert Einstein campus. The Parkchester MetroNorth station will be located closest to the BxM6 express bus in the northern part of the Parkchester complex. Can tell you most people that live away from the complex just take the BxM6 bus. It only makes three stops and then heads straight to Manhattan. Given the skells that ride the 6 train, it is a much better, safer ride. For Parkchester, the southern portion of the complex offers the most amenities, but can also tell you that the greater Parkchester area offers a lot too. Roseaba is moving to a place outside of the actual complex, but it is still close to the subway, express bus and the other amenities.

Am thinking that Parkchester will improve as prices go up (on the renting side) and bring in higher incomes and would be better than the South Bronx.
My new favorite word of the day.

I just told my BF about the new stops and he agrees that we should look at Parkchester again, LOL

Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
My new favorite word of the day.

I just told my BF about the new stops and he agrees that we should look at Parkchester again, LOL
It really has one of the best commutes in the Bronx. When there is no traffic, if leaving early enough, can get the BxM6 into Midtown or whatever in about 30 minutes. That is also true with the 6 train when there are no issues, as it offers express service from Parkchester. Very little of the Bronx that is decent with access to the subway is that accessible so quickly to Manhattan. From Riverdale via MetroNorth, one can get to Manhattan in under 30 minutes, but that does not include getting to the actual stations which are along the Hudson River, and the neighborhood is rather isolated, as it requires a bus ride to access the subway downhill in Kingsbridge or a long walk to 242nd street.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 PM

2,592 posts, read 2,678,738 times
Quote:
How did you find your apartment? If you don't mind me asking.

Congratulations :-)
I subscribed to Trulia, Zillow, Redfin and a couple of others. Eventually I hooked up with a realtor because you really can't get into to see many apartments without them. And you absolutely have to have a relationship with a bank already in place, otherwise you won't be considered a serious and qualified buyer. I haven't closed yet and have to still get through the board, but I have no reason to believe I wouldn't be approved as my qualifications are exactly what they would want; good income, great credit score, family oriented, stable job, big down payment, and a clean background check.

Last edited by roseba; 07-09-2017 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:25 PM

624 posts, read 704,209 times
If you don't think the Bronx is overpriced you need to get out of the NYC and take a look at the rest of America.

In Chicago I was living downtown in a big 1 bedroom with a nice view for $1645. Quick access to everything and living next door to the local "upper class" folks. In the Maryland suburbs, you can pay a similar price for a 2 bedroom in Howard County (one of the richest in the country) with access by car to both Baltimore and Washington DC. In NYC, for that price you need to live in the hood.

Most of the BX offers very little local amenities. Most of the restaurants are greasy nasty fast food and there are few bars you'd want to go to. Bruckner blvd is pretty much a ghost town. The best thing I remember is that it was easy to find parking there. Has it gotten any livelier in 2017?

The Bronx is a good place to sleep and pay cheap rents, but now the "cheap" part is very questionable.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
If you don't think the Bronx is overpriced you need to get out of the NYC and take a look at the rest of America.

In Chicago I was living downtown in a big 1 bedroom with a nice view for $1645. Quick access to everything and living next door to the local "upper class" folks. In the Maryland suburbs, you can pay a similar price for a 2 bedroom in Howard County (one of the richest in the country) with access by car to both Baltimore and Washington DC. In NYC, for that price you need to live in the hood.

Most of the BX offers very little local amenities. Most of the restaurants are greasy nasty fast food and there are few bars you'd want to go to. Bruckner blvd is pretty much a ghost town. The best thing I remember is that it was easy to find parking there. Has it gotten any livelier in 2017?

The Bronx is a good place to sleep and pay cheap rents, but now the "cheap" part is very questionable.
I'd say no. I don't think the amenities are that great, and I'm sure there are some people that will disagree, but seriously, if you think Aldi's is high end, you need your head checked. It's time for the Bronx to get *REAL* high-end stores like Whole Foods and all of the other high-end stores that exist in the nice areas of the outerboroughs. $99 cent stores, Starbucks, Applebees and all of the other nonsense doesn't cut it to draw people with high incomes. Riverdale can get away with lacking amenities because most people like going to Manhattan or Westchester anyway, as the neighborhood is a bedroom community, but even there or downhill in Kingsbridge some decent places have opened. In order for the Bronx to really come alive, it needs real retail, not H &M and those other cheesy cheap stores that are being marketed as *upscale*, and how about some good *local* stores that aren't grease spoons?

Old 07-09-2017, 09:44 PM

20,196 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post

That's what I've been saying!!! A good tenth of New Yorkers should be considering Chicago. That city is fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or