U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 PM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's what I've been saying!!! A good tenth of New Yorkers should be considering Chicago. That city is fantastic.
Are they going to buy armored vehicles to drive around in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 08:52 PM

7,587 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
*LOL* Am here to tell you all hell is breaking loose in Chicago.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:58 PM

20,152 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Quote:
Don't move to the far West or South Side (unless it's the southwest or Hyde Park) and you'll be fine. Be the ChiWriterdude that you've always wanted to be.

Admittedly, this is also because it helps the housing situation in New York City. But that's not the only reason and you should still know that Chicago beckons.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,273,715 times
Quote:
Dumbest shat I have ever heard.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 PM

624 posts, read 702,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's what I've been saying!!! A good tenth of New Yorkers should be considering Chicago. That city is fantastic.
Chicago didn't do it for me, but maybe I also need my head examined. New York is orders of magnitude more difficult city to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's time for the Bronx to get *REAL* high-end stores like Whole Foods and all of the other high-end stores that exist in the nice areas of the outerboroughs.
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. People move to the Bronx pretty much only because they can't afford or don't want to pay the high rents elsewhere in the city. These are the same kinds of people that are absolutely not going to buy overpriced groceries at places like Whole Foods.

Want to open a Whole Foods on the Grand Concourse? You'll go out of business in a month as your store stays mostly empty and all the unbought produce rots.

None of this is about racism or gentrification or any of that bull****. Its basic business sense and economics.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Want to open a Whole Foods on the Grand Concourse? You'll go out of business in a month as your store stays mostly empty and all the unbought produce rots.

None of this is about racism or gentrification or any of that bull****. Its basic business sense and economics.
Can you see you're missing the point. The rents are no longer a *bargain* in the Bronx, even in the worse areas, so that means people with higher incomes *MUST* move in, and I can't see those people being okay with such poor amenities. In some cases there has been a 50% increase in the rent, and you think those people moving in now are going to be okay with the same lackluster amenities paying such exorbitant rents? I can't see how that would be the case.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:35 PM

624 posts, read 702,620 times
Higher incomes doesn't mean high incomes. The rents have shot up for sure, but basic premise is still there. The people moving to the BX now are those who don't want to pay 1800-2000+ for uptown Manhattan/Queens/Brooklyn. The discount has shrunk, but I'd wager if you're the type who likes to buy overpriced groceries you're probably also the type willing to pay a premium for Manhattan. Furthermore, since the discount is so small (1800 in Inwood vs 1500 in the Bronx) that means people moving there must be stretching their rent budget already.

Whole Foods is luxury brand, the Bronx is not.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Chicago didn't do it for me, but maybe I also need my head examined. New York is orders of magnitude more difficult city to live in.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. People move to the Bronx pretty much only because they can't afford or don't want to pay the high rents elsewhere in the city. These are the same kinds of people that are absolutely not going to buy overpriced groceries at places like Whole Foods.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whole Foods skipped the South Bronx and opened one in and around Fordham instead. Try Chicago again.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-09-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Higher incomes doesn't mean high incomes. The rents have shot up for sure, but basic premise is still there. The people moving to the BX now are those who don't want to pay 1800-2000+ for uptown Manhattan/Queens/Brooklyn. The discount has shrunk, but I'd wager if you're the type who likes to buy overpriced groceries you're probably also the type willing to pay a premium for Manhattan. Furthermore, since the discount is so small (1800 in Inwood vs 1500 in the Bronx) that means people moving there must be stretching their rent budget already.

Whole Foods is luxury brand, the Bronx is not.
That would be true for most of the Bronx, but not places like Riverdale, Country Club and the like. Plenty of people drive to Westchester or go to Manhattan, so while there may not be a large market like you find in parts of Brooklyn, there is a market and I think it will grow. You are underestimating who does what in the Bronx and assuming that everyone moving there is doing so just because some parts are cheaper. That is not always the case. Have met plenty of people that simply wanted to escape Manhattan and became tired of the hustle and wanted somewhere quiet to settle that was still close to Manhattan. You find plenty of people like this in Riverdale and other middle to upper middle areas like City Island, or Country Club. Those areas are not cheap. People move there because they want to not because they can't afford anything else.

I should point out that Country Club, Riverdale and City Island all have median incomes near or above $90,000 a year, something that surprised me, because incomes in both Country Club and City Island have shot up considerably from where they were just a few years ago. Riverdale is always talked about, but there are quite a few areas in the Bronx where incomes are starting to go near $100,000 or are already there. Parts of Throggs Neck along the water for example. City Island and Country Club are fairly small areas, but still. All of the Bronx is not this ****hole.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-09-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That would be true for most of the Bronx, but not places like Riverdale, Country Club and the like. Plenty of people drive to Westchester or go to Manhattan, so while there may not be a large market like you find in parts of Brooklyn, there is a market and I think it will grow. You are underestimating who does what in the Bronx and assuming that everyone moving there is doing so just because some parts are cheaper. That is not always the case. Have met plenty of people that simply wanted to escape Manhattan and became tired of the hustle and wanted somewhere quiet to settle that was still close to Manhattan. You find plenty of people like this in Riverdale and other middle to upper middle areas like City Island, or Country Club. Those areas are not cheap. People move there because they want to not because they can't afford anything else.

I should point out that Country Club, Riverdale and City Island all have median incomes near or above $90,000 a year, something that surprised me, because incomes in both Country Club and City Island have shot up considerably from where they were just a few years ago. Riverdale is always talked about, but there are quite a few areas in the Bronx where incomes are starting to go near $100,000 or are already there. Parts of Throggs Neck along the water for example. City Island and Country Club are fairly small areas, but still. All of the Bronx is not this ****hole.
I remember that my first time going to the Bronx was actually going to Riverdale with some friends visiting their old teachers and acquaintances there. I knew from what they had told me, and a cursory look on the internet, that this was a very different part of the Bronx, but I still didn't really have it in my head just how nice it'd actually be. At most at the time, I think I was expecting something that looked okay and not run down but it wasn't just not run-down, but actually one of the nicest neighborhoods in probably all of New York. It was a real eye-opener for me and I think a lot of people don't understand that Riverdale isn't just a great Bronx neighborhood, but a great neighborhood in general.

I'm wondering if Pelham Parkway and the like are much improved from previous decades, because I only know them as they are in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or