Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

As Rents Rise in the Bronx, Old Timers Feel the Pressure

The article talks a lot about a specific building that has a new owner and may or may not be under rent stabilization. The rents hover around $1000 and the new owner is advising tenants it could go up to $1500.

A few other details about the area and gentrification as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 03:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
The Bronx is getting very expensive for what it is

Old 07-07-2017, 04:18 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Are they saying that a 1500 rent is expensive?!?

Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

The tenants are saying that, because for a lot of them, having to pay $1500 instead of $1000 would mean they have to move out. But the article isn't really saying that, because the author acknowledges that a "new tenant would eagerly pay $1500" for a studio there.

"So if a studio at 700 East 134th St could fetch $1500 a month, a sum that a newer tenant would eagerly pay, where can people of more modest means who have lived here for years go?"

I guess it's just another article about displacement. Poor people have to move out when people of modest means can afford to and want to live there (and have most likely been priced out of their own neighborhoods where the apartments that used to be $1500 are now $2300 or whatever).

Old 07-07-2017, 05:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:

$1500 a month is apparently over the program one of the tenants is using to pay rent. Those not making enough to afford 1500 a month will have to find roommates, if they want to stay in the city.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
$1500 a month is apparently over the program one of the tenants is using to pay rent. Those not making enough to afford 1500 a month will have to find roommates, if they want to stay in the city.
Am going to remind some people that $1500 a month means one person has to earn $60,000 a year. The median income for a typical household is around that. That is not exactly cheap for a studio, and it is becoming more difficult to find apartments cheaper than $1300 - 1400 even in the poorest areas of NYC. Am wondering how much some people make that think $1500 is cheap? Most New Yorkers have not seen their salaries go up. They just live with roommates, but are not making 60 - 80k a year or more.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:58 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
Pardon my long rant on this subject...

I haven't been around for a few months, just lurked, but I need to chime in.

As someone who makes just shy under the median income of NYC in a professional job the only rents I can afford hover around 1300 dollars a month with the 40x rent rule. After a year and a half of housing lottery fiascos I've have become a bit jaded. I got so close a few times only to lose out, but whatever, that's not the point of this thread.

Prior to that I was searching for apartments in the Bronx and there were some for 1200 dollars. This was when the section 8 allowance was about 1200 dollars for a one bedroom, and now it's 1500 dollars as of last year. COINCIDENCE much!? I do not begrudge people on Section 8, but it does place a horrible HORRIBLE price ceiling on apartments in the bronx.

So as a working person I cannot afford the new 1500 dollar a month pricetag for studios and one bedrooms in the bronx, but the gazillion people on section 8, CAN now all of a sudden.

Landlords ***** and moan about section 8 tenants, but it's an automatic check to them, and they can charge MUCH higher than market rates would go for in certain areas, so they do it. Well landlords are MORONS. They should rent to people with full time jobs who can afford 1200 instead of squeezing out the tax payers anal glands for that extra 300 they know they can to keep their buildings filled with section 8. It's frustrating and it really makes you realize that it's very hard to survive in this city unless you make a lot of money or on assistance. They probably figure their buildings are already so down-trodden and parasitic anyway, might as well keep it that way. How about extending a hand to real working class people in this city for a change!?

rant OVER

Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
#thetimeofthebronxhascome

Old 07-07-2017, 06:20 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Pardon my long rant on this subject...

I haven't been around for a few months, just lurked, but I need to chime in.

As someone who makes just shy under the median income of NYC in a professional job the only rents I can afford hover around 1300 dollars a month with the 40x rent rule. After a year and a half of housing lottery fiascos I've have become a bit jaded. I got so close a few times only to lose out, but whatever, that's not the point of this thread.

Prior to that I was searching for apartments in the Bronx and there were some for 1200 dollars. This was when the section 8 allowance was about 1200 dollars for a one bedroom, and now it's 1500 dollars as of last year. COINCIDENCE much!? I do not begrudge people on Section 8, but it does place a horrible HORRIBLE price ceiling on apartments in the bronx.

So as a working person I cannot afford the new 1500 dollar a month pricetag for studios and one bedrooms in the bronx, but the gazillion people on section 8, CAN now all of a sudden.

Landlords ***** and moan about section 8 tenants, but it's an automatic check to them, and they can charge MUCH higher than market rates would go for in certain areas, so they do it. Well landlords are MORONS. They should rent to people with full time jobs who can afford 1200 instead of squeezing out the tax payers anal glands for that extra 300 they know they can to keep their buildings filled with section 8. It's frustrating and it really makes you realize that it's very hard to survive in this city unless you make a lot of money or on assistance. They probably figure their buildings are already so down-trodden and parasitic anyway, might as well keep it that way. How about extending a hand to real working class people in this city for a change!?

rant OVER
Have to think even some people on this very board live in rent stabilized apartments or whatever. Salaries have not risen to support these high increases. Currently rent market rate and am here to tell you it ain't cheap. Am considering purchasing down the road. Am fortunate to earn enough to not have to share or whatever, but can understand your frustrations. Am wondering what some folks pay for rent and if they live alone or share the rent or own?

Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
I pay 1450 for a ROOM. I know... I KNOW! But i've been here for 9 years and I have a dog that gets along with the other dog that lives here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City