U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2017, 04:59 PM
 
8,218 posts, read 8,501,765 times
Reputation: 10184

Advertisements

In case this may be of interest to anyone: DeBlasio was saying, to my surprise, that if you want to do something for a homeless person, rather than giving them money, call 311, and someone will be quickly dispatched to step in. I not only didn't know this - it would never have occurred to me.

However, he didn't go into details of what happens. I don't know if they find housing for the person, send him to a shrink, or ship him to New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2017, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Eric Forman's basement
1,689 posts, read 1,662,064 times
Reputation: 869
I think it's good to have that option, but whatever happens after that is up to the homeless person. I read that most refuse to go to shelters and prefer to take their chances on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,328 posts, read 12,417,631 times
Reputation: 15395
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I think it's good to have that option, but whatever happens after that is up to the homeless person. I read that most refuse to go to shelters and prefer to take their chances on the street.
Shelters are often crowded, dirty and can be dangerous. Rather then risk being the victim of violence of theft of what little belongings they have left they prefer to keep away from others in shelters. They may have addictions also that they cannot indulge in while in the shelter system. Giving them food or toiletries can be a huge help to them. It sucks any person falls into this state of being though, and is not as hard as one thinks to find themselves in a position like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 08:42 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,219 posts, read 969,159 times
Reputation: 994
I stayed in a shelter once. Every shelter is different, some are good, some are okay, some are hell on earth. Wards Island is the worst in the city. If you genuinely want to better your life they won't send you to a bad one...

Glad I'm back on my feet now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 08:49 AM
 
1,230 posts, read 2,431,615 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Shelters are often crowded, dirty and can be dangerous. Rather then risk being the victim of violence of theft of what little belongings they have left they prefer to keep away from others in shelters. They may have addictions also that they cannot indulge in while in the shelter system. Giving them food or toiletries can be a huge help to them. It sucks any person falls into this state of being though, and is not as hard as one thinks to find themselves in a position like this.
This is true. The shelter system does not work. These people need privacy away from the chaos, noise and dysfunction of the shelter. The housing first idea works best, get them a small SRO where they have a room and toilet of their own. Old hotels that are coverted to an SRO building with security at the entrances work best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,328 posts, read 12,417,631 times
Reputation: 15395
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
This is true. The shelter system does not work. These people need privacy away from the chaos, noise and dysfunction of the shelter. The housing first idea works best, get them a small SRO where they have a room and toilet of their own. Old hotels that are coverted to an SRO building with security at the entrances work best.
I agree. I have always thought of the wide open spaces both in and out of the five boros as a solution also. There is still more then enough space to be use. For those who may cry about costs, There have been many innovative and less expensive building techniques in recent times, from shipping containers being converted into housing complexes, to the idea of 3D printing for mass producing good yet inexpensive materials for construction. Trailers can be utilized as well, like the FEMA trailers for example. Numerous ways to create basic shelters, which is a vital human need. Yet the shelter system numbers increase and the problem gets worse, while the suits in power put on a poker face and yell "something needs to be done!" while just the opposite happens. Same story, no progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,557 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree. I have always thought of the wide open spaces both in and out of the five boros as a solution also. There is still more then enough space to be use. For those who may cry about costs, There have been many innovative and less expensive building techniques in recent times, from shipping containers being converted into housing complexes, to the idea of 3D printing for mass producing good yet inexpensive materials for construction. Trailers can be utilized as well, like the FEMA trailers for example. Numerous ways to create basic shelters, which is a vital human need. Yet the shelter system numbers increase and the problem gets worse, while the suits in power put on a poker face and yell "something needs to be done!" while just the opposite happens. Same story, no progress.
*SOLUTION:* Build shelters in D. Scott's neighborhood. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 10:58 AM
 
271 posts, read 132,951 times
Reputation: 127
[quote=nonsence;48768216]I stayed in a shelter once. Every shelter is different, some are good, some are okay, some are hell on earth. Wards Island is the worst in the city. If you genuinely want to better your life they won't send you to a bad one...

Glad I'm back. God Bless you. Take care, and best wishes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 01:42 PM
 
Location: LES & Brooklyn
989 posts, read 2,174,782 times
Reputation: 896
You can also use the 311 mobile app to report a homeless individual. Again a homeless person would want to accept help to get it. And its not a quick process. Most times they do refuse, due to lots of reasons. Mental health being a huge factor in the homeless population. There is also a difference between chronic street homeless and those newly on the street. Chronics are very well known to outreach teams, and in many cases are already working with organizations. Just because you see them on the streets day after day, year after year, don't think they are not being assess and monitored. Those living on the streets a year or more have greater chances of being housed then those on the streets for a few days. Those with mental health issues also have greater chances of being housed then those who don't. Its a lot that goes on behind the scenes, lot of trust building, some success stories, some tragic and heartbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 04:51 PM
 
8,218 posts, read 8,501,765 times
Reputation: 10184
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I think it's good to have that option, but whatever happens after that is up to the homeless person. I read that most refuse to go to shelters and prefer to take their chances on the street.
I've heard that, too, but perhaps that isn't all they offer. For instance, maybe they offer medical care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top