U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2017, 02:28 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
2,456 posts, read 1,806,602 times
Reputation: 1334

Advertisements

Get yourself a pistol permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2017, 09:20 PM
 
18 posts, read 8,926 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
If you lived in gramercy or say west village and this was done, would you have a problem?
Yes, I would have a problem because what's the point of requiring a key to enter a building if anyone can just bust in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 PM
 
10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Reputation: 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
I signed a lease for an apartment in the South Bronx and today was my move-in date. Shortly after I entered the lobby (with my building key) these teenagers busted through the locked lobby door by shoving hard into it. Minutes later, a woman came into the building by doing the same thing. Basically anyone without a lobby key can get into the building by shoving hard into the lobby door, and it seems like some renters are used to doing that. I called management and told them my concerns (there are other issues with the apt that I rather not get into), and we agreed to settle the matter on Monday. Has anyone ever changed their mind after signing the lease and was able to successfully back out?
Just curious if you have looked up your building on the HPD website to see if there are violations listed there. I'm not sure exactly what good it will do you in terms of your situation with trying to get out of the lease, but I think it might be a good idea to know what's been reported, and if there are any open violations.

https://hpdonline.hpdnyc.org/HPDonli...e_address.aspx

Btw, a broken door lock is a violation that can be reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:38 PM
 
18 posts, read 8,926 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Are you dealing with a rental management company or directly with the LL? It is probably easier to deal with a LL.


Care to state an approximate figure of how much you put down when you signed the lease? You could probably get out of the lease by forfeiting what you put down. If the LL or Co. says no to your request to back out of the lease even with a forfeit, hire an attorney and take them to court. Either way, you're looking at a big loss.
It's an LLC. I understand this will be a loss for me. I already gave them the first month's rent and security and I don't expect to get any of it back. They can honestly keep it if it gets me out of the lease, but from the way things sounded when I last spoke to management, they will most likely want me to pay rent until they find a new renter. I really hope that's not the case.

This is a learning experience for me. I said there were other issues in my opening post. I'll start off by saying I did view the apartment before I signed the lease. It was clear during that time that the apartment wasn't ready and the broker and management assured me it was not ready yet. I was supposed to move in July 1 (as stated on the lease), but I couldn't because the apartment still wasn't ready. I already lost money at this point because I had to reschedule with the movers (there was a penalty for that) and I had to request an extension to stay at the apartment I'm currently in, and the lease already expired there.

I called the management company on July 5 and they said the apartment STILL wasn't ready. I told them I absolutely cannot reschedule with the movers again and they said it would be ready in 2 days. So once the move-in date arrived, I go to pick up my keys and a copy of the lease from the super.

1) The mailbox key wasn't ready.
2) People shoving into the lobby door to get in.
3) The apartment was still filthy. Dust all over, toilet paper wrapper on the bathroom sink, sink dirty, bottom of toilet was dirty, windows dirty, half empty Gatorade bottle on one of the window seals, decorative stickers on some windows from the last renter, and a piece of clothing was hung on one of the bedroom doors.
4) One of the bedroom windows was completely missing the window glass.

I immediately called management and was told that I'm responsible for cleaning upon moving in and that the super can drill a wooden board on the bedroom window until window glass is installed. I told them that this was unacceptable and that the apartment clearly wasn't ready yet, and that I can't move into an apartment in that condition. I canceled again with the movers and again suffered a penalty. I returned the key back to the super.

I took photos of everything. I just can't stand the thought of dealing with that kind of management for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Reputation: 7563
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
It's an LLC. I understand this will be a loss for me. I already gave them the first month's rent and security and I don't expect to get any of it back. They can honestly keep it if it gets me out of the lease, but from the way things sounded when I last spoke to management, they will most likely want me to pay rent until they find a new renter. I really hope that's not the case.

This is a learning experience for me. I said there were other issues in my opening post. I'll start off by saying I did view the apartment before I signed the lease. It was clear during that time that the apartment wasn't ready and the broker and management assured me it was not ready yet. I was supposed to move in July 1 (as stated on the lease), but I couldn't because the apartment still wasn't ready. I already lost money at this point because I had to reschedule with the movers (there was a penalty for that) and I had to request an extension to stay at the apartment I'm currently in, and the lease already expired there.

I called the management company on July 5 and they said the apartment STILL wasn't ready. I told them I absolutely cannot reschedule with the movers again and they said it would be ready in 2 days. So once the move-in date arrived, I go to pick up my keys and a copy of the lease from the super.

1) The mailbox key wasn't ready.
2) People shoving into the lobby door to get in.
3) The apartment was still filthy. Dust all over, toilet paper wrapper on the bathroom sink, sink dirty, bottom of toilet was dirty, windows dirty, half empty Gatorade bottle on one of the window seals, decorative stickers on some windows from the last renter, and a piece of clothing was hung on one of the bedroom doors.
4) One of the bedroom windows was completely missing the window glass.

I immediately called management and was told that I'm responsible for cleaning upon moving in and that the super can drill a wooden board on the bedroom window until window glass is installed. I told them that this was unacceptable and that the apartment clearly wasn't ready yet, and that I can't move into an apartment in that condition. I canceled again with the movers and again suffered a penalty. I returned the key back to the super.

I took photos of everything. I just can't stand the thought of dealing with that kind of management for a year.
Nice essay, but you signed a lease for the South Bronx. If you weren't built for it, you should not have signed the lease. Next!

I didnt even read the whole thing.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 12:05 AM
 
18 posts, read 8,926 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nice essay, but you signed a lease for the South Bronx. If you weren't built for it, you should not have signed the lease. Next!

I didnt even read the whole thing.
You can't be serious. The problem isn't the South Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 12:12 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
You can't be serious. The problem isn't the South Bronx.
Are you that nave? You really don't have an excuse. You're a New Yorker. How in the world do you move to a neighborhood, spend thousands of dollars and not know what type of environment you're moving into? Dare I say it, but only a fool would go to the South Bronx assuming that all is well. That isn't to say that all of the South Bronx is horrible, but really. The rents may be going up, but the most of it is still as ghetto as ever. You really have to do serious research on what type of building you're moving into, regardless of the area. Slum landlords exist in *ALL* neighborhoods. Aside from that, most of the issues with any building can be found by doing a simple online search, so clearly someone was just too lazy or too ignorant to be bothered. Never assume anything when spending your hard earned money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 12:37 AM
 
18 posts, read 8,926 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Are you that nave? You really don't have an excuse. You're a New Yorker. How in the world do you move to a neighborhood, spend thousands of dollars and not know what type of environment you're moving into? Dare I say it, but only a fool would go to the South Bronx assuming that all is well. That isn't to say that all of the South Bronx is horrible, but really. The rents may be going up, but the most of it is still as ghetto as ever. You really have to do serious research on what type of building you're moving into, regardless of the area. Slum landlords exist in *ALL* neighborhoods. Aside from that, most of the issues with any building can be found by doing a simple online search, so clearly someone was just too lazy or too ignorant to be bothered. Never assume anything when spending your hard earned money.
And like I said, the South Bronx isn't the issue. Why are you so scared of the South Bronx? It sounds like you have some issues you need to deal with. Anyway, MY issue is with the management, because if I was renting an apartment in gramercy and was exposed to the same situation, I would be right here saying the same thing. And if that was the case, would you be telling me how I'm a fool for renting an apartment in gramercy? South Bronx, North Bronx, East Bronx, I don't care where I go to rent, those conditions are unacceptable anywhere.

Do you have an answer to the question I asked in the original post, because that would actually be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 03:57 AM
Status: "I am in preparation mode!" (set 4 days ago)
 
5,514 posts, read 5,494,602 times
Reputation: 4210
I feel bad for you but you signed a lease. What else can be said? Can you pay for both residences until your they find a tenant?

It is not an ideal situation but you can make it work. The key will be given to you shortly. Many residences do not have a secured door. I do not have one. I still feel safe. Get gloves and cleaning supplies to clean the apartment. I was not happy about paying to have my carpets cleaned but it was worth it. It looks brand new. The window is a problem but they have to fix it. I had to buy my own window treatment.

What appealed to you about the apartment in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 04:34 AM
 
747 posts, read 268,614 times
Reputation: 412
OP, if the apartment was supposed to be ready by July 1 according to your lease and it's still not really ready now based on the issues you mentioned, then the landlord is not meeting his end of the contract. Talk to an expert on this but I think you should be able to get out of it and your money back. Actually say exactly this to the landlord and demand your money back. See what they say.
Please don't rely on what people say on the internet. Perhaps call 311 to get more information or find some other reliable source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top