U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 PM

24,001 posts, read 17,394,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Since the OP has a lawyer, she is in a good position to sue or threaten to sue if a landlord won't accept her program.
It's actually illegal for the realtors to turn her away just because she has a program too. She should mention that to her legal aid lawyer.

Legal Victory: Judge Rules Landlords Cannot Refuse LINC Rent Vouchers - Coalition For The Homeless

The courts have ruled in favor of those discriminated against because of the source of their rent.

One of NYC's

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...w-york-lawsuit

The OP needs to keep a record of e-mails and letters from brokers and landlords, and should take notes of anyone who told her over the phone they don't take SEPS.

Here is where brokers are also being sued.

Five Landlords & A Broker Accused Of Discriminating Against Would-Be Renters With Housing Vouchers: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:27 AM

11 posts, read 6,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's actually illegal for the realtors to turn her away just because she has a program too. She should mention that to her legal aid lawyer.

Legal Victory: Judge Rules Landlords Cannot Refuse LINC Rent Vouchers - Coalition For The Homeless

The courts have ruled in favor of those discriminated against because of the source of their rent.

One of NYC's

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...w-york-lawsuit

The OP needs to keep a record of e-mails and letters from brokers and landlords, and should take notes of anyone who told her over the phone they don't take SEPS.

Here is where brokers are also being sued.

Five Landlords & A Broker Accused Of Discriminating Against Would-Be Renters With Housing Vouchers: Gothamist
THANK YOU FOR THOSE ARTICLES! I never knew it was illegal! I wish I'd known six months ago!
I will be carefully reading and researching the articles and sending them to my lawyer. I will start answering ads for apartments today!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishfromNYC View Post
THANK YOU FOR THOSE ARTICLES! I never knew it was illegal! I wish I'd known six months ago!
I will be carefully reading and researching the articles and sending them to my lawyer. I will start answering ads for apartments today!
No worries. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,081,526 times
Nobody wants to take SEPS. If you do luck up you're right, it would most likely be in the Bronx.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Nobody wants to take SEPS. If you do luck up you're right, it would most likely be in the Bronx.
Nobody wants to have to pay out a huge settlement. A lot of landlords have already been forced to pay out. If SEPS can cover the rent they have no choice but to accept. She already has a lawyer.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:53 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,395,675 times
Will say my part on this topic. I deal with lots of rentals right now. But on LI not NYC for the most part right now as a friend acquired lots of Sandy damaged homes in last few months & is renovating them & flipping some. But is keeping others as investment to rent out. I kind of know NYC rental laws are a bit different than LI. But we have the same housing problem on LI when it comes to tenants looking for rentals that are willing to take any type of program they are on.

We are getting upwards of about 10 responses right now per day asking if we will take their program. For most of these rentals tenants are only asking this for the lower priced rentals. As the others are priced above what programs will pay. Pretty much eliminating those rentals for people with programs. And yeah that is the easy way out for most landlords that prefer not to even entertain someone asking. Price is key.

We have one rental they set aside only for a person on a program. And they told me so. And that being said. We took about 20 applications from people on programs in the past week. All denied not based on program. But every single one that applied had one of the many other reasons landlords will deny people. Either poor credit. Bad background check. Or evictions. Now landlords can legally deny those people. And they do. So now they are rethinking bothering offering that one rental to a person on a program. If we don't sign lease with person on a program by next week when current tenant vacates they will put it on the open market & increase rent by about $200 month.

But we have been in contract with Real Estate lawyers as well regarding all their rentals. To protect all involved from the types of accusations I am seeing in this thread. We are told no landlord with a private rental within a property with 3 or less rentals have to by law take anyone in a program. Now for the multi-family rentals it is a bit different. But Landlords of the private smaller rental properties are within their legal right to say no to pretty much anyone they want. I have observed court cases pertaining to this. Landlords usually win if it was a private landlord with the types of rentals I mentioned.

Then let me add this that most people don't realize. Realtors & professional landlords to talk. Blacklisted happens sadly in lots of cases. I was given a list of well over 100 people to not even bother entertaining or making appts to see rentals. I think no one wants to invite any government agency or any 3rd party payor into their rentals. More paperwork & red tape. Cash paying tenants are the best bet for many landlords.

Also if apt is not a legal rental landlords will never take a program. It pretty much outs their illegal apt to the city or town. And at 1,200 a month budget it will not get you a good legal apt in a decent area of NYC. Hope you find something soon. Best of Luck Trish! Don't waste your time on those types of private rentals I mentioned where there are 3 or less units on property. Try the multi-family ones.So you don't waste your time. Like all the buildings. Never easy to find a place in NYC with that low budget. Even if paying cash. Less supply than there is demand unfortunately.

Read that fine print where you read all these laws. There is always that one sentence that people like to say does not exist when quoting these laws. And that is this basically. All the laws you just read does NOT usually apply if there are less than 3 rentals on property.

Last edited by loribell38; 07-11-2017 at 03:12 AM..

Old 07-11-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishfromNYC View Post
Do you really want to start of a relationship with a possible future landlord by threatening them & saying it is illegal for you to say no? That will never end well for you at all. Did this program give you all the paperwork at all with guidelines on how to look for a rental? And what to say to a prospective landlord? Because Department of Social Services here on LI does give out pointers for people. And they do tell them to just ask the landlord if they are willing to accept their program & explain how it works. They tell you if a landlord says no just move on to the next. As saying the wrong thing will hurt you in the long run as landlords & even realtors do talk.

Basically they say if they say no do not get angry or upset & argue. And that there is no point in being nasty or rude to them as you will never meet them probably. And if they talk to other landlords/brokers that do take programs they will many times pass your name on to them. Telling them not to take you. Thus you might end up burning a possible contact.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:43 AM

10,453 posts, read 8,405,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Nobody wants to have to pay out a huge settlement. A lot of landlords have already been forced to pay out. If SEPS can cover the rent they have no choice but to accept. She already has a lawyer.
I'm not sure you can strong-arm a private house (less than 2 family) into accepting government programs. Who pays these legal fees?

Old 07-11-2017, 05:58 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,131,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm not sure you can strong-arm a private house (less than 2 family) into accepting government programs. Who pays these legal fees?
But maybe you can strong-arm a larger apartment building landlord, if it's illegal not to take the programs?

People who make a low income can get free legal representation via Legal Aid.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
But maybe you can strong-arm a larger apartment building landlord, if it's illegal not to take the programs?

People who make a low income can get free legal representation via Legal Aid.
This is what I & many others are very tired of these days. And why many voted the way they did. People with all sorts of freebies on public assistance having everything paid for them via taxpayer dollars making all sorts of demands & trouble for landlords. And they call landlords slumlords. From my experience from our years as a landlord. They are far more slum-tenants than there are slumlords these days.

Entitled people never seem to be happy no matter how much is handed to them on a silver platter. These people are the ones that always give landlords more trouble. That is what they do when they have too much time on their hands.

I for one am kind of happy our friends decided this morning to pull the plug on entertaining someone on a program for this one rental they put aside. They were considering giving someone a chance in life to live in an area they never would have been able to afford otherwise. In a very nice legal apt in a single family home in a great school district.

But running background & credit checks on about 20 prospective tenants & seeing what they saw for all of them they realized they were taking rental out of the OK for someone on a program equation. As it was too big a risk. We found these are the very people that LIE to landlords about certain things that are usually what gets them denied in the past. Like saying they have no pets. Saying they don't smoke.

And one of the biggest of them all. Lying about who will live in rental. They lie on government papers & don't include certain people who will be members of the household with rental. Because they know they would have to include those peoples incomes as well. Which might put them over the income threshold for their freebie benefits. These freebies & benefits are meant to be temporary help to get people back on their feet & fend for themselves. But it seems that never happens. Once people are on public assistance they seem to stay on it forever. I understand there are some people that have no choice. Like our elderly & disabled. As well as our Veterans.

But sorry. NOT for people who have kids they can't afford so they need all sorts of public assistance. From Food Stamps to Free Housing. To cash benefits...to Medicaid. Then they go ahead & produce even MORE kids to drain our system even more.

Give me free this. Give me free that. When does it ever end? Never. Hopefully this government waste will stop soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or