U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-11-2017, 07:47 AM
 
3,516 posts, read 1,833,809 times
Reputation: 1644

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
This is what I & many others are very tired of these days. And why many voted the way they did. People with all sorts of freebies on public assistance having everything paid for them via taxpayer dollars making all sorts of demands & trouble for landlords. And they call landlords slumlords. From my experience from our years as a landlord. They are far more slum-tenants than there are slumlords these days.

Entitled people never seem to be happy no matter how much is handed to them on a silver platter. These people are the ones that always give landlords more trouble. That is what they do when they have too much time on their hands.

I for one am kind of happy our friends decided this morning to pull the plug on entertaining someone on a program for this one rental they put aside. They were considering giving someone a chance in life to live in an area they never would have been able to afford otherwise. In a very nice legal apt in a single family home in a great school district.

But running background & credit checks on about 20 prospective tenants & seeing what they saw for all of them they realized they were taking rental out of the OK for someone on a program equation. As it was too big a risk. We found these are the very people that LIE to landlords about certain things that are usually what gets them denied in the past. Like saying they have no pets. Saying they don't smoke.

And one of the biggest of them all. Lying about who will live in rental. They lie on government papers & don't include certain people who will be members of the household with rental. Because they know they would have to include those peoples incomes as well. Which might put them over the income threshold for their freebie benefits. These freebies & benefits are meant to be temporary help to get people back on their feet & fend for themselves. But it seems that never happens. Once people are on public assistance they seem to stay on it forever. I understand there are some people that have no choice. Like our elderly & disabled. As well as our Veterans.

But sorry. NOT for people who have kids they can't afford so they need all sorts of public assistance. From Food Stamps to Free Housing. To cash benefits...to Medicaid. Then they go ahead & produce even MORE kids to drain our system even more.

Give me free this. Give me free that. When does it ever end? Never. Hopefully this government waste will stop soon enough.

I agree with much of what you said.

However, in terms of programs for "affordable housing": NYC is so crazy expensive that unless you are upper middle class you can't afford a market rate apartment anywhere in the city.
What are working class people supposed to do?
Not to mention people earning a low income.
Many of the people on Section 8 are working.
Many people living in projects are working as well.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2017, 08:53 AM
 
23,328 posts, read 16,219,490 times
Reputation: 8591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
But maybe you can strong-arm a larger apartment building landlord, if it's illegal not to take the programs?

People who make a low income can get free legal representation via Legal Aid.
Definitely you can string arm a larger landlord. Look at those lawsuits I posted. Larger landlords have deeper pockets and lawyers are more interested in the case.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 AM
 
23,328 posts, read 16,219,490 times
Reputation: 8591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree with much of what you said.

However, in terms of programs for "affordable housing": NYC is so crazy expensive that unless you are upper middle class you can't afford a market rate apartment anywhere in the city.
What are working class people supposed to do?
Not to mention people earning a low income.
Many of the people on Section 8 are working.
Many people living in projects are working as well.
The OP is on disability. So it's been determined she can't work. Also retirees on social security income alone are low income.

But that's neither here nor there. She's now been made aware discriminating on the basis of rental income is illegal and she will do what needs to be done.

You're right about only upper middle class people being able to afford apartments. Everyone else either has housing subsidies of some sort, or are doing illegal sublets.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Astoria, Queens
11 posts, read 5,415 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
This is what I & many others are very tired of these days. And why many voted the way they did. People with all sorts of freebies on public assistance having everything paid for them via taxpayer dollars making all sorts of demands & trouble for landlords. And they call landlords slumlords. From my experience from our years as a landlord. They are far more slum-tenants than there are slumlords these days.

Entitled people never seem to be happy no matter how much is handed to them on a silver platter. These people are the ones that always give landlords more trouble. That is what they do when they have too much time on their hands.

I for one am kind of happy our friends decided this morning to pull the plug on entertaining someone on a program for this one rental they put aside. They were considering giving someone a chance in life to live in an area they never would have been able to afford otherwise. In a very nice legal apt in a single family home in a great school district.

But running background & credit checks on about 20 prospective tenants & seeing what they saw for all of them they realized they were taking rental out of the OK for someone on a program equation. As it was too big a risk. We found these are the very people that LIE to landlords about certain things that are usually what gets them denied in the past. Like saying they have no pets. Saying they don't smoke.

And one of the biggest of them all. Lying about who will live in rental. They lie on government papers & don't include certain people who will be members of the household with rental. Because they know they would have to include those peoples incomes as well. Which might put them over the income threshold for their freebie benefits. These freebies & benefits are meant to be temporary help to get people back on their feet & fend for themselves. But it seems that never happens. Once people are on public assistance they seem to stay on it forever. I understand there are some people that have no choice. Like our elderly & disabled. As well as our Veterans.

But sorry. NOT for people who have kids they can't afford so they need all sorts of public assistance. From Food Stamps to Free Housing. To cash benefits...to Medicaid. Then they go ahead & produce even MORE kids to drain our system even more.

Give me free this. Give me free that. When does it ever end? Never. Hopefully this government waste will stop soon enough.

I am not taking "freebies". I worked for 26 years before I became disabled. I paid into the Social Security Disability that I am currently collecting. I paid NY State taxes as well as Federal taxes for that entire length of time. Everything I am collecting I paid into for decades.

As far as people staying on PA "forever" in NYC you are eligible for cash assistance and rental assistance for a maximum of 5 years in your life time. AND you have to pay it back if you come into any amount of money. When I finally won my disability case, I got a lump sum of retroactive benefits. NYC HRA deducted close to $8,000 from that sum to recoup the benefits I was collecting while waiting for my SSD to be approved.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Astoria, Queens
11 posts, read 5,415 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Do you really want to start of a relationship with a possible future landlord by threatening them & saying it is illegal for you to say no? That will never end well for you at all. Did this program give you all the paperwork at all with guidelines on how to look for a rental? And what to say to a prospective landlord? Because Department of Social Services here on LI does give out pointers for people. And they do tell them to just ask the landlord if they are willing to accept their program & explain how it works. They tell you if a landlord says no just move on to the next. As saying the wrong thing will hurt you in the long run as landlords & even realtors do talk.

Basically they say if they say no do not get angry or upset & argue. And that there is no point in being nasty or rude to them as you will never meet them probably. And if they talk to other landlords/brokers that do take programs they will many times pass your name on to them. Telling them not to take you. Thus you might end up burning a possible contact.
Why should I be bullied by such a corrupt system as the NYC Real Estate Agencies? If I interview for an apartment and have means to pay the rent, if the landlord turns me down and it turns out it is illegal, I now know that I can report them. It doesn't have to be a lawsuit.
Should I allow a loandlord to break the law at the risk of being "blacklisted"? If someone reports them then maybe the next tenant that comes along will have an easier time. People are too afraid of landlords and realtors. The system is corrupt because tenants pay the realtor but the realtor actually works for the landlord. If I hire someone to find me an apartment, in the best case scenario they will and should work for me and have my best interests at heart.
It really tells you how screwed up Realtors are when I'm forced to go on Reddit and this board to try and find a realtor who will help me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 PM
 
23,328 posts, read 16,219,490 times
Reputation: 8591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishfromNYC View Post
Why should I be bullied by such a corrupt system as the NYC Real Estate Agencies? If I interview for an apartment and have means to pay the rent, if the landlord turns me down and it turns out it is illegal, I now know that I can report them. It doesn't have to be a lawsuit.
Should I allow a loandlord to break the law at the risk of being "blacklisted"? If someone reports them then maybe the next tenant that comes along will have an easier time. People are too afraid of landlords and realtors. The system is corrupt because tenants pay the realtor but the realtor actually works for the landlord. If I hire someone to find me an apartment, in the best case scenario they will and should work for me and have my best interests at heart.
It really tells you how screwed up Realtors are when I'm forced to go on Reddit and this board to try and find a realtor who will help me.
Yes, report them. But if a case arises and you do have grounds to sue, sue. It depends on the evidence you have and whether there are sufficient damages.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 02:43 PM
 
10,032 posts, read 7,784,905 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
But maybe you can strong-arm a larger apartment building landlord, if it's illegal not to take the programs?

People who make a low income can get free legal representation via Legal Aid.
OP rents in a private house though.

LOL at free legal representation. Too funny. These recent grads from 3rd tier law schools aren't working pro-bono. They have lots of debt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 PM
 
10,032 posts, read 7,784,905 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree with much of what you said.

However, in terms of programs for "affordable housing": NYC is so crazy expensive that unless you are upper middle class you can't afford a market rate apartment anywhere in the city.
What are working class people supposed to do?
Not to mention people earning a low income.
Many of the people on Section 8 are working.
Many people living in projects are working as well.
You realize what is driving this crazy expensiveness, right? And it ain't the landlords or the tenants.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 04:34 PM
 
23,328 posts, read 16,219,490 times
Reputation: 8591
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
OP rents in a private house though.

LOL at free legal representation. Too funny. These recent grads from 3rd tier law schools aren't working pro-bono. They have lots of debt.
Yes, and they have been renting out to her for years. Her problem is now she is trying to move into an apartment owned by larger landlords. Larger landlords have more money and it's easier to get a lawyer to take them on, if the legal violations and the damages are enough.

Making someone go homeless when they have the ability to pay rent can be considered major damages. Btw, Kegal Aid wins against landlords often enough.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM
 
10,032 posts, read 7,784,905 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, and they have been renting out to her for years. Her problem is now she is trying to move into an apartment owned by larger landlords. Larger landlords have more money and it's easier to get a lawyer to take them on, if the legal violations and the damages are enough.

Making someone go homeless when they have the ability to pay rent can be considered major damages. Btw, Kegal Aid wins against landlords often enough.
For the most part (not necessarily in the OPs situation) all Legal Aid can do is delay the inevitable. They bleed money for the city and its taxpayers. For a real and sustainable outcome, its best the OP seek real legal advice. Unfortunately she will either need funding, or a case that has a profile or profit potential.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top