U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 PM

7,587 posts, read 2,703,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You're 17? Are you even on the contract?

FYI- in the adult world no one cares about others' school & bills. The real landlord wont either...

Life isn't fair. The sooner you learn this the better. Start saving to move because one way or the other you'll have to be out.
Tried asking that question and received a snarky answer... Given the response, it's clear what the answer is...

Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 PM

21 posts, read 6,413 times
thanks guys thats very helpful but what is OP? and yes i have also looked into getting lawyer bc i would rather pay the actual landlord instead of being threatened with high rent and harrassment from someone who is not even on the lease and i have also heard the person who is on the lease is not even aware that they are......... i have receipts of payment and all other sources of communication with this ''landlord''

Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polandspring View Post
thanks guys thats very helpful but what is OP? and yes i have also looked into getting lawyer bc i would rather pay the actual landlord instead of being threatened with high rent and harrassment from someone who is not even on the lease and i have also heard the person who is on the lease is not even aware that they are......... i have receipts of payment and all other sources of communication with this ''landlord''
OP=Original Poster

Old 07-08-2017, 08:59 PM

2,703 posts, read 968,533 times
Tell 311 you're there more than 30 days, which gives you right to tenancy with or without a lease. If you have utility bills, that's proof you've been there. I'm thinking what happened was the super got a free apartment as part of his salary and has somewhere else to live, so decided to make some money and is now getting greedy, just like polandspring thinks. There is legal counsel available if you can't afford it - but it might depend what zip code you live in. Metropolitan Council sounds right.

Also, to get legally evicted, you have to go to court and I doubt the super can do that without the management/owner being involved. Good luck, please let us know what happens.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:05 PM

if you dont want to read the entire post then dont chime in from the side. why dont you take a seat

Old 07-08-2017, 09:16 PM

yea nyc refugee youre right thats what i needed to know this person is getting greedy and doesnt want to honor the original agreement and threatening me that he knows the owner of the building and like basically they have some sort of agreement so thats why ive been worried bc idk how those things work if you are friends with someone powerful etc ive been a nyc resident and work and paid taxes etc no records or anything and i have looked into other options but yes i just need to talk to lawyer i guess

Old 07-08-2017, 09:36 PM

just looked up illusory sublets and omg i forgot to mention this "landlord" was also telling me he's not going to renew the lease if he is not making money off it even though he not non the lease so i know he's bluffing and trying to get me to leave

"Illusory Sublets"
An illusory sublet occurs when the alleged prime tenant has not actually been in physical occupancy of the apartment. This type of case is called an “illusory prime tenancy” because the alleged prime tenant does not maintain the apartment as a primary residence and the sublet is intended to evade various requirements of the Rent Stabilization Law and Code.
The subtenant of an apartment in an illusory sublet situation may le a "Tenant’s Complaint of Owner’s Failure to Renew Lease and/or Failure to Furnish a Copy of a Signed Lease" (DHCR Form RA -90) with DHCR. If DHCR nds that the complaint is justi ed, it will deny the illusory prime tenant the right to a renewal lease and require the owner of the building to recognize the subtenant as the actual tenant, who is entitled to a renewal lease at the lawful stabilized rent.
In addition, the illusory prime tenant will be legally responsible to refund all overcharges collected from the subtenant. If the illusory prime tenant has furniture in the apartment, DHCR may direct the subtenant to permit the furniture to be removed. If the subtenant can prove that the building owner received part or all of the overcharge, the owner will also be responsible for refunding the rent overcharge.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:38 PM

9,945 posts, read 7,702,682 times
Sounds like landlord needs this unit to get vacated completely. Are you able to afford the entire unit on your own?

Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 PM

why dont you go mind your business

Old 07-08-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polandspring View Post
why dont you go mind your business
You don't even understand what he's saying. The actual landlord may be on the hook for something that he shouldn't have to deal with, and if that's the case, then whoever has the lease should get the boot. From a legal standpoint, whoever is subleasing the place likely doesn't have the right to, and therefore is in violation of the lease. That's the point he's making and why he's saying what he's saying. If that were to happen, he's asking if you could afford the actual rent since you're considering pressing the issue. If you become the "de facto" tenant and can't afford the rent, well you may be evicted as well. You likely aren't paying the actual rent since you're subleasing, even though it is a rent stabilized apartment, so keep that in mind before you go rocking the boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or