U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would it take to get everyone to smile on the subway?
Log number for all 5 20.00%
Mediterranean weather 0 0%
De Blasio gone 11 44.00%
SeventhFloor as President 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:12 AM

715 posts, read 325,958 times

Advertisements

A cleaner, safer, more affordable system free of beggars, homeless people, smells and break dancers and other scary people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM

18,288 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I was on the train when a fight almost broke out because one guy smiled at another guy. I think the smile was an accident. But still.

What would you do without all the fake hustlers? Might you actually enjoy your trip a little more? Pfft.

The other day I was on the 2/3 train and I had my headphones on so I couldn't hear the entire spiel but I'm sure he told people he was hungry, could anyone just help him out with some money (or food) and some woman hands him one of those healthy fruit bar things and he just takes it and stares at it.

That is another thing; you *NEVER* see a man tell another man to "smile". That is unless perhaps both are gay and know. Walk up to a man and tell him to smile and or just do the same in his direction and you'd better be ready for whatever happens next.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:07 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,047,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Beer dispenser that auto dispenses unlimited canned beer whenever the train gets delayed.
There's a possibility of much more subway fights if this ever came to fruition.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:00 AM

2,575 posts, read 1,897,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Isn't so much that the French do not tip, but in France as many other European countries gratuity fees are built into the check. Thus when you pay for dinner in French restaurant or whatever the tip has already been calculated and included in your bill. For the record New York and other restaurants in USA have begun doing this as well.

Still it always amazed me at how some so called otherwise successful persons cannot figure out how much to tip. It is just fifteen or whatever percent you want to give of the entire bill. Don't people learn how to do sums at school anymore?

The more embarrassing and quite frankly annoying thing IMHO are those who insist on diving up the tip the same why they did the check. Oh, *YOUR* total came to $35, so you should leave "X" amount towards the tip.
That's my understanding too that it's built into the check so there's little to no incentive for the French servers to pester and people please customers with fake smiles so you will tip them.

They tried the built in gratuity in Portland recently at some places but have since reverted back to the old system.

Mostly, in Paris, I just want to eat the food and see some sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Those guys are angling for a handout. It's supposed to make you feel like hey these poor guys find a way to be happy why don't I help them out. The other favorite line is "god bless you and your family" or "get home safely" which always seemed like a threat to me
They were great grinning goobers, but it felt more like a command than a request when they're barking, "Smile!" at me. I want to tell them to try smiling out when two creepy dudes bark for them to smile as they walk on by. lol

Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 AM

7,128 posts, read 5,504,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
They were great grinning goobers, but it felt more like a command than a request when they're barking, "Smile!" at me. I want to tell them to try smiling out when two creepy dudes bark for them to smile as they walk on by. lol
sounds worse than I thought, those creeps could have been angling for a gangrape

Old 07-14-2017, 09:25 AM

4,784 posts, read 4,671,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is another thing; you *NEVER* see a man tell another man to "smile". That is unless perhaps both are gay and know. Walk up to a man and tell him to smile and or just do the same in his direction and you'd better be ready for whatever happens next.
I've been having a good laugh lately because every time I leave work with this one guy, he seems to be a magnet for transgender folk. I don't know why, but on multiple occasions, they smiled at him, waved, struck up a conversation, etc. He just kind of ignores them and it rolls off of his back---but I can see the wrong person taking it to the next level and starting something.

I have heard many men tell women to smile though. It's neither necessary nor a good pick-up line if attempting to use it as such.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:27 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,565,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
A cleaner, safer, more affordable system free of beggars, homeless people, smells and break dancers and other scary people!
The system is affordable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or