U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,859,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I think the guy earlier was not talking just about the US.
But that's all it should be compared to. As mentioned, bars close at 2 in most US cities. And even then they don't have the activity that NYC does during the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Canada's low class, unsavory population is battling cirrhosis and raping and murdering each other in drunken frenzies on the rez. The rest of Canada's potential unsavory types are never let into the country in the first place due to their intensely restrictive immigration policy. Canada's dirty little secrets.

^^^ this x1000. NYC is as provincial as any podunk backwater. People think because they eat from the halal carts and stand on the train with foreigners that they are worldly and tolerant. It's a great city, one of the greatest in the world and history, but it's not a substitute for actually getting out and seeing the world.
I'm gonna take a wild guess that the average New Yorker is genuinely more tolerant than the average person from the rural South.

Most of the Archie Bunker types in NYC have either died, moved away, or are on the fringes of the city in the white flight enclaves.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 714,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
But that's all it should be compared to.
Well obviously not everyone agrees, if they are comparing it to cities outside the US.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM

15,669 posts, read 18,223,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm gonna take a wild guess that the average New Yorker is genuinely more tolerant than the average person from the rural South.

Most of the Archie Bunker types in NYC have either died, moved away, or are on the fringes of the city in the white flight enclaves.
I think what they're trying to say (or suggest) is that most New Yorkers are not that tolerant of conservative middle-American social values.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:31 PM

1,784 posts, read 757,727 times
Quote:
Most bars, most bodegas, most laundromats, many supermarkets, many diners, many food trucks are open at 2AM.

I live on Long Island and there's a huge difference in amount of stores open and street activity at that time where I live versus NYC.
Not where I live. Nothing is open that late. The latest is midnight. But there are pockets here and there that are bustling way past 2-3 AM but it's not like the whole place is jumping.

Last edited by Aeran; 07-17-2017 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM

90 posts, read 99,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I think the biggest current misconception is that NYC, and particularly Brooklyn, is all one big hipster/millennial circle jerk . Most parts of city are nothing like that.
Most parts are not like that? I'd say about half of the city is currently like that.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
This is so true. NYC is unique in that some of the best nights to go out (for clubbing) are regular weeknights like Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. While weekend nights usually suck because its tons of NJ people/out of towners going out, super crowded and music is usually generic.

I have friends that relocated to L.A. and they were shocked to see that clubs there close at 2AM. I feel like the NY standard for clubs closing is like 4AM, with it sometimes even extending to 5, depending on how live the party gets.
That is surprising. 2 AM is when things start to get lively. Thought closing at 4 AM was standard club time.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Not where I live. I'm in Midtown West and nothing is open that late. The latest is midnight.
You're not looking hard enough, there are tons of bars, delis, and diners in that vicinity that are open are. Even some sex shops I would guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think what they're trying to say (or suggest) is that most New Yorkers are not that tolerant of conservative middle-American social values.
Most New Yorkers are not tolerant of racism and xenophobia, if that's what you mean.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
You're not looking hard enough, there are tons of bars, delis, and diners in that vicinity that are open are. Even some sex shops I would guess.

Most New Yorkers are not tolerant of racism and xenophobia, if that's what you mean.
I later amended my statement to include that there are pockets here and there that are open that late but it's not like the whole of Manhattan is alive and awake. I think out of towners have misconceptions that the whole of Manhattan is open 24/7.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I later amended my statement to include that there are pockets here and there that are open that late but it's not like the whole of Manhattan is alive and awake. I think out of towners have misconceptions that the whole of Manhattan is open 24/7.
I would think to an out of towner, Manhattan in general would still seem much more 24/7 than wherever they're from.

Plus the NYC subway and buses (most lines) run 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City