Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
What city would you say is more tolerant than New York?

Obviously you will find a-holes everywhere on earth. The measure of how tolerant New York is would be based on how it compares to other cities.
I was in Toronto for work and it was the most pleasant city. Just about everyone was super friendly there on the streets and in their metro train it was super clean and people have much better manners. Not like NYC where there's always unsavory and low class people on the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
The idea that you have to be some sort of hustler to make it...I cringe when I hear things like that

Old 07-16-2017, 11:12 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
What city would you say is more tolerant than New York?

Obviously you will find a-holes everywhere on earth. The measure of how tolerant New York is would be based on how it compares to other cities.
I feel like you have to leave the US to get more tolerant (keyword tolerant, not accepting). I told a person in Oakland airport that I was going to use the BART to go to San Francisco for the layover and she told me that it was only for poor people. She was going to suggest me otherwise, but I just walked away right at that moment. In general, I find NYC much more tolerant when it comes to America.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah, if you go to the LES or Williamsburg at 2AM on a Tuesday night, there are still tons of people partying.
That's true of a lot of major cities. Most cities with large cultural scenes have areas of activity and nightlife well into the early morning.

So either your threshold for what counts as a "24-hour city" is too inclusive, or that distinction is not so special in and of itself.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 AM

343 posts, read 254,557 times
Too much I have to disagree with (and be trollish) with people at this forum. But if you travel the world enough you will find that NYC is much cleaner then many other big international cities. At least we have clean water that is treated.

But I agree with a lot said here. NYC is a difficult place to accept. There are a lot of total slobs living here. There are some of the most brilliant people living here but they are outnumbered and it is like 1 brilliant person to every 1,000 total idiots.

There are tons of things to complain about in this city and it is like a storm of negativity you have to weather from day to day waiting for occasionally nice weather.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnomad View Post
that it's a tolerant city. the only reason people appear to be tolerant of others who are not like them is because they want something from them.
NYC is way more tolerant than a lot of other areas of the country.

Just how big Pride here is alone should be an indication of how tolerant we are. Are there racists bigots? Sure. But most of the people I meet here are very diverse, open-minded & tolerant. There are so many different nationalities & races here, we're one of the most diverse cities in the country...

People are very tolerant here

Old 07-17-2017, 10:59 AM

49 posts, read 55,182 times
Having lived here for 28+ years, I can say that one of the biggest misconceptions about New Yorkers is that we are all open-minded and tolerant. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, the liberals who live here are some of the most closed-minded people I've ever met in all my life, and I'm no right-winger. They are as closed-minded as anyone else, just in different ways. I would give most of my fellow New Yorkers the same advice I'd give a religious fundamentalist who lives in a tiny Midwestern or Southern town: "You need to get out more. You need to venture outside your comfort zone and expose yourself to ideas that you've never encountered before. You need to meet different kinds of people. You need to become more well-rounded."

Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
That's true of a lot of major cities. Most cities with large cultural scenes have areas of activity and nightlife well into the early morning.

So either your threshold for what counts as a "24-hour city" is too inclusive, or that distinction is not so special in and of itself.
The bars close at 2 in most of the US, and most US cities have less going on than NYC late at night. And NYC seems to have more late night food options.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The bars close at 2 in most of the US, and most US cities have less going on than NYC late at night. And NYC seems to have more late night food options.
I think the guy earlier was not talking just about the US.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was in Toronto for work and it was the most pleasant city. Just about everyone was super friendly there on the streets and in their metro train it was super clean and people have much better manners. Not like NYC where there's always unsavory and low class people on the train.
Canada's low class, unsavory population is battling cirrhosis and raping and murdering each other in drunken frenzies on the rez. The rest of Canada's potential unsavory types are never let into the country in the first place due to their intensely restrictive immigration policy. Canada's dirty little secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvoyage View Post
Having lived here for 28+ years, I can say that one of the biggest misconceptions about New Yorkers is that we are all open-minded and tolerant. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, the liberals who live here are some of the most closed-minded people I've ever met in all my life, and I'm no right-winger. They are as closed-minded as anyone else, just in different ways. I would give most of my fellow New Yorkers the same advice I'd give a religious fundamentalist who lives in a tiny Midwestern or Southern town: "You need to get out more. You need to venture outside your comfort zone and expose yourself to ideas that you've never encountered before. You need to meet different kinds of people. You need to become more well-rounded."
^^^ this x1000. NYC is as provincial as any podunk backwater. People think because they eat from the halal carts and stand on the train with foreigners that they are worldly and tolerant. It's a great city, one of the greatest in the world and history, but it's not a substitute for actually getting out and seeing the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City