U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM

10,619 posts, read 20,750,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to say don't believe the hype.
Once you've been to NY a few times or spent a month or so here, you'd know whether or not you believe it. So OP has already spent a fair amount of time here, and admits that he doesn't believe the hype. So that in itself is reason to stay put.

Other people believe "the hype" or in fact don't feel that it's "hype" in the first place. They like it for what it is and if they are moving from elsewhere, feel a compelling need to be in NY, either for a job opportunity or other reason like they want to start a business and feel it's best for networking opportunities or best for the brand to have the company here. Maybe others feel out of place in their home community because they are gay, or eccentric, in a specific art field, or whatever, and want to be around others of their own ilk. That's also a compelling reason.

It just seems to me that if you have to be convinced that NYC is the place to be, then it's probably not compelling enough to make the move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 PM

7,587 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What about NYC do you miss and are you sure you can't find it somewhere within DC? You might consider shaking things up by moving elsewhere in DC and scouting out some new hobbies or friends.
Cannot think of any place that is as great as NYC. Have been to quite a few places like Milan or whatever. There they call it "piccola New York" (little New York). Am here to tell you it *is* little. Am thinking DC is similar in that regard and can become boring real quick.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,504,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Cannot think of any place that is as great as NYC. Have been to quite a few places like Milan or whatever. There they call it "piccola New York" (little New York). Am here to tell you it *is* little. Am thinking DC is similar in that regard and can become boring real quick.
DC is actually pretty cool, I like Philadelphia too only to visit but would sooner take DC over Philadelphia. But still, it's not the same as NYC - nothing is, even Chicago.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:52 PM

7,587 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
DC is actually pretty cool, I like Philadelphia too only to visit but would sooner take DC over Philadelphia. But still, it's not the same as NYC - nothing is, even Chicago.
Am here to say have been *shocked* to find things here that I never thought I could get here from overseas, but NYC has that sophistication. Nothing here is impossible and the place has a certain level of respect that other places simply can't command.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:03 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,718,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I would describe DC as NYC on a smaller scale with a stick up its butt and less good Pizza options.

One of my favorite things about NYC is the vibe. Its a place where you can have an arm growing out of your forehead and no one will care. DC expects everyone to look presentable all the time. Kind of an unspoken rule. The women here don't like to show too much skin either, even during the 100 degree summer heat. Its like you never know what kind of person you're dealing with until you talk to them because everyone kind of dresses the same. In NYC people wear their personality a lot more.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:10 PM

1,219 posts, read 970,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I would describe DC as NYC on a smaller scale with a stick up its butt and less good Pizza options.

One of my favorite things about NYC is the vibe. Its a place where you can have an arm growing out of your forehead and no one will care. DC expects everyone to look presentable all the time. Kind of an unspoken rule. The women here don't like to show too much skin either, even during the 100 degree summer heat. Its like you never know what kind of person you're dealing with until you talk to them because everyone kind of dresses the same. In NYC people wear their personality a lot more.
That's exactly why I left D.C. and moved here.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:17 PM

20,152 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

If it's the stick up your butt quality that you want to avoid (and more pizza options), then I think it'd make more sense to take a look at Philadelphia as well. Perhaps it's the best compromise of the good and bad you've found in NYC and DC.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:05 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,718,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I remember another thread you started where you argued with everyone for about 20 pages about how NYC is only great because of the volume of things or the amount of things. You kept emphasizing that it only has only quantity going for it.

"New York has MORE of everything. So if having more of everything is your only criteria.. then sure.. NYC blows everyone out of the water. But there is more to a city than just having more "stuff" than another city. What if Philly has the best Cat food in the country, but NYC has the MOST cat food in the country. Like who really cares? I don't."

So I think given that you feel that strongly that NYC is not so amazing, then you should stay put.

The fact is that the cost of living for a new arrival is very high in NY and if you don't have a compelling reason to move, then don't. My 2 cents.

Why do people exaggerate about NYC so much?
I stand by everything I said in that thread about NYC. Its all true. Notice I never said I disliked NYC. Its just overrated. But overrated and "bad" are not the same thing. I think Chipotle is overrated too, but its still delicious food and I still eat there.

NYC is awesome. DC is also awesome in a different way. But I've been in DC for eight years now and thinking it might be time for a change. Still not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If it's the stick up your butt quality that you want to avoid (and more pizza options), then I think it'd make more sense to take a look at Philadelphia as well. Perhaps it's the best compromise of the good and bad you've found in NYC and DC.
Philly.. I'm not interested. Other than great Cheesesteaks and more pizza options (maybe) it doesn't have anything DC doesn't have and it lacks a lot of the things DC has. So it would actually be a downgrade in my eyes. I either want to move to an equal or better city than DC or stay put. Philly is a beta city. I'm only interest in cosmopolitan Alpha cities.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,492,823 times
Why would you EVER come back here!? It's only getting worse where you need to be loaded to just rent the simplest of apartments. or loaded parents. Have you seen the major influx of these new disruptive industries that will be your guanantor!?!? (i.e. those who will make 80x the rent!? wtf?) now people don't have to rely on their enabling rich parents to be a guarantor there are skeezy middlemen and women who will front the security deposit and guaranty that you won't skip out on the rent that you can't afford on your intern salary of zero dollars in your fabulous new brooklyn apartments?

barf

i'm ready to hobo myself out of this city with my dog, else i am going to be one of those transient people you see with dogs in your local parks with the look of hate in their eyes (both the humans and dogs) if I can't catch a break.

Sorry, but you can strap up your damn boot straps all you want, you DO at some point hit a certain ceiling and then it's like ruh-roh. ? Where do we go if this city is all we know and can't afford to relocate?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:38 PM

1,219 posts, read 970,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Where do we go if this city is all we know and can't afford to relocate?
Jersey....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City