U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Why would you EVER come back here!? It's only getting worse where you need to be loaded to just rent the simplest of apartments. or loaded parents. Have you seen the major influx of these new disruptive industries that will be your guanantor!?!? (i.e. those who will make 80x the rent!? wtf?) now people don't have to rely on their enabling rich parents to be a guarantor there are skeezy middlemen and women who will front the security deposit and guaranty that you won't skip out on the rent that you can't afford on your intern salary of zero dollars in your fabulous new brooklyn apartments?

barf

i'm ready to hobo myself out of this city with my dog, else i am going to be one of those transient people you see with dogs in your local parks with the look of hate in their eyes (both the humans and dogs) if I can't catch a break.

Sorry, but you can strap up your damn boot straps all you want, you DO at some point hit a certain ceiling and then it's like ruh-roh. ? Where do we go if this city is all we know and can't afford to relocate?
Hey isn't it beach season now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times
it IS, thank god!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:33 PM

quote:
Jersey....

Nope. the breadknots have already murdered Jersey's gold coast with their cornballia.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:41 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
Anyone over 35, most are looking to move away from NYC. When you start looking at cost to run a family, taxes where it's going, then quality of life it's no brainer.

Anyone under 35, most are looking to stay around NYC. Because you just want to hang out after work without taking forever to go home. You want to impress family and friends you live in the city.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:45 PM

Not really. I live in a building that 10 years ago was full of fun young people and now it's filled with horrible 40 year olds with 1 year olds (half of them twins from expensive in vitro treatments ) and obnoxious dogs that have genetic disorders from inbreeding.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 PM

7,125 posts, read 5,493,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Anyone over 35, most are looking to move away from NYC. When you start looking at cost to run a family, taxes where it's going, then quality of life it's no brainer.

Anyone under 35, most are looking to stay around NYC. Because you just want to hang out after work without taking forever to go home. You want to impress family and friends you live in the city.
couldn't be more wrong - NYC is where it's at when you have kids to expose them to everything the world has to offer. It's a complete 180 from the 80's/90's where it was crime ridden and disgusting and you would never raise kids here. Now it's the burbs that's full of bored kids high on meth & heroin and the higher educated families with diverse lives are in the city

Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 PM

quote:
NYC is where it's at when you have kids to expose them to everything the world has to offer.

You killed it. You know that, right?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:10 PM

There's a HUGE difference between showing your kids culture and turning a city into a giant suburban romper room. But you guys hate hearing that truth.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:31 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
couldn't be more wrong - NYC is where it's at when you have kids to expose them to everything the world has to offer. It's a complete 180 from the 80's/90's where it was crime ridden and disgusting and you would never raise kids here. Now it's the burbs that's full of bored kids high on meth & heroin and the higher educated families with diverse lives are in the city
Not according to all the threads of people leaving NYC to start a family. There's ton of those types in LI and NJ threads. The people that have families in NYC eventually will want out because there is no family events in NYC.

Every weekend all I see are NYC families in NJ malls and theme parks. You go to any NJ beaches there are tons of NYC families here to escape NYC overcrowding.

Heroin is not a suburb problem only, plenty of NYC folks die of it and mostly well to do folks that could afford addiction and high cost of living here.

I don't think NYC is as diverse as it used to be, it's a lot less diverse today than decades ago when many cultures have good representation here. Today there certain cultures well represented here because of their economic status but not so much of many poorer cultures

Old 07-11-2017, 11:33 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not according to all the threads of people leaving NYC to start a family. There's ton of those types in LI and NJ threads. The people that have families in NYC eventually will want out because there is no family events in NYC.

Every weekend all I see are NYC families in NJ malls and theme parks. You go to any NJ beaches there are tons of NYC families here to escape NYC overcrowding.

Heroin is not a suburb problem only, plenty of NYC folks die of it and mostly well to do folks that could afford addiction and high cost of living here.

I don't think NYC is as diverse as it used to be, it's a lot less diverse today than decades ago when many cultures have good representation here. Today there certain cultures well represented here because of their economic status but not so much of many poorer cultures
It's still very diverse, both racially and culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City