Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times

Advertisements

I have been to NYC plenty of times but it was mainly to go to an event. I wouldn't even stay in NYC but would stay in NJ then travel into the city. This time I wanted to stay in the heart of the city and I did in Midtown off East 40th St near Grand Central Station.

NYC gets a bad rap for it being dirty but you have to expect that with so many people living there. It wasn't really dirty to me for the most part. People say NYC'ers are rude but they seemed nice to me. Whenever I had a question they answered back nicely. They even said hello to me walking into the CVS store and I was shocked.

It was neat how it wasn't much foot traffic in my area during the weekend but once I looked out my window Monday morning people were everywhere. I walked about 7 miles each day. It's great to get exercise during the day without having to do to the gym for it. I was also shocked to see people drying their clothes on the clothing line I their backyards in Queens. I thought I would only see that In small towns lol. It's funny that people generally think that if they move to the south that they will have religious people on their face all the time but I had more people preaching to me about religion in NYC in the few days I was there than in a year in Atlanta but that's mainly because in NYC you come Into contact with more people walking and taking the train everywhere vs driving everywhere in other cities so you can avoid that stuff more but it was cool.

I loved the subway and I especially loved the express trains. It felt good skipping multiple stops especially when I had to go somewhere far like Coney Island or Uptown. Wish they had a daily pass where I could have paid maybe $7 and road the train allday but it was cool.

Still trying to figure out if I should bring my mom up there next time. I'm very protective of her and it was some annoying people on the train that kept bothering people because they wanted to draw pictures of them for a fee. I don't want to have to knock a **** out over my mom so I will play this by ear lol. It seemed like everyone I spoke with wanted to move away because of the COL. Some couldn't move because because they have jobs that are only in NY. Overall I had a great time. I have to get my big city fix a few times per year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Still trying to figure out if I should bring my mom up there next time. I'm very protective of her and it was some annoying people on the train that kept bothering people because they wanted to draw pictures of them for a fee. I don't want to have to knock a **** out over my mom so I will play this by ear lol.
Your post was good except for this.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:18 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Sounds like you can easily get around in the city without a problem. That being said, I don't think is wise for you to bring your mom to NYC because it sounds like your mom won't be able to get around by herself. Instead, she needs your company all the time. When this happen, a lot of things change. People change their attitude toward you and your mom because you might be blocking their way.

If you really do want to bring your mom and want her to have a good time here, make sure to bring her to an area that is not crowded. Always know where you are heading. Don't act like a tourist looking for places on a map on your hand. Plan ahead before you go somewhere. Use google map if you need to get yourself familiar with the area. If at all possible, go out to the area by yourself and get yourself familiar with the area, then bring your mom together. This way, you will be sure to let your mom enjoy the visit here.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 AM

347 posts, read 521,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Your post was good except for this.
Is there something wrong with wanting to defend one's love one? Oh, that's right, you New Yorkers don't believe in self-defense. No wonder MS-13 has their way there.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:26 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I'm very protective of her and it was some annoying people on the train that kept bothering people because they wanted to draw pictures of them for a fee. I don't want to have to knock a **** out over my mom so I will play this by ear lol. It seemed like everyone I spoke with wanted to move away because of the COL. Some couldn't move because because they have jobs that are only in NY. Overall I had a great time. I have to get my big city fix a few times per year
This is really weird. I must have taken more than 10,000 subway rides in NYC in my lifetime and never once have I ever had someone try to draw my picture for a fee. What train lines is this happening on? Is it in the station while you are waiting for the train, or once in the train?

And basically, you would deal with a person trying to get money from you by either ignoring them (usually works as they move on to the rest of the train car or other people they feel are more empathetic) or just say "no, thanks." I agree there are annoying people trying to get things all the time in NY but they pretty much always move along when they realize you are not interested in pulling out your wallet or fishing for change.

In any case, glad you enjoyed all the other things about NYC. It's a great city!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:00 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is really weird. I must have taken more than 10,000 subway rides in NYC in my lifetime and never once have I ever had someone try to draw my picture for a fee. What train lines is this happening on? Is it in the station while you are waiting for the train, or once in the train?

And basically, you would deal with a person trying to get money from you by either ignoring them (usually works as they move on to the rest of the train car or other people they feel are more empathetic) or just say "no, thanks." I agree there are annoying people trying to get things all the time in NY but they pretty much always move along when they realize you are not interested in pulling out your wallet or fishing for change.

In any case, glad you enjoyed all the other things about NYC. It's a great city!

I think it was on the 2 or 3 train leaving Manhattan and going Uptown. I was on the train so much it's hard to remember.

It was one of those guys that be talking loud talking about "be happy" "I love happy people" and some other bs, asking where you from,etc trying to bait you in so when he starts drawing your photo he will feel obligated to pay him. He said im going to draw you for free but I would Like a small donation blah blah blah. Like I said it was cool because it was just me and I was on the end of the train and he was in the middle. Wasn't really in the mood to talk on the train especially to a dude but I don't like repeating myself if I say I don't want to be bothered once I don't like saying it again but it was cool

Old 07-11-2017, 08:29 AM

23 posts, read 30,327 times
Well, your experience in New York makes me think more over my decision to shift New York City for my Real Estate Pipeline business. I have been there several times, but still, after all, it is a city of skyscrapers!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Lol I've never seen that on the train before. Also if you want to see dirty, come to the Lower East Side around 5a. I generally don't mind it, but it's pretty bad haha.

Glad you enjoyed NYC! Please don't punch people though XD

Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Is there something wrong with wanting to defend one's love one? Oh, that's right, you New Yorkers don't believe in self-defense. No wonder MS-13 has their way there.
Nyc has one of the lowest crime rates in the country for a city with a population of 8 million. If you can't handle someone coming up to you to sell something, please don't ever go shopping. All you have to say is no thank you and move right along.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
MS-13 is a problem in certain Long Island towns, not NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: