U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:35 PM

18,318 posts, read 11,718,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh it's just a matter of time. Once the next phase of the SAS is expanded north to East Harlem, can guarantee that the rats will come a marchin' on down.

More like marching on up!

Have you seen the rats at 57th and 7th or 42nd and 7th on the BMT line?

Waited for the "Q" train at 42nd once after walking from Port Authority transfer on the 8th avenue line. I swear counted at least two rats for every three minutes was standing; and the train didn't arrive for about ten or so. Have never seen so many rats on a subway track before.

Saving grace is that the new SAS stations so far are rather clean including tracks. If that can be kept up it will go a long way to keeping rats from expanding into new territory.

Also am not sure how deep rats can burrow up or down. The SAS is rather deep underground, whereas other subway lines are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 PM

7,591 posts, read 2,710,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Waited for the "Q" train at 42nd once after walking from Port Authority transfer on the 8th avenue line. I swear counted at least two rats for every three minutes was standing; and the train didn't arrive for about ten or so. Have never seen so many rats on a subway track before.

Saving grace is that the new SAS stations so far are rather clean including tracks. If that can be kept up it will go a long way to keeping rats from expanding into new territory.

Also am not sure how deep rats can burrow up or down. The SAS is rather deep underground, whereas other subway lines are not.
Have seen the devices you mentioned to try to repel the rats along Park Avenue on the UES as I was walking from the Le Pain Quotidien on 84th and Madison some weeks ago *eating* nonetheless, and thought of your post. If they have them on Park Avenue, they must have some *HUGE* ones along Lex, which is as dirty as ever. Saw one that was run over by 86th and Lex several months ago.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM

7,135 posts, read 5,519,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

The Collect Pond Park downtown sits on top of the old collect pond of Five Points fame. A century+ ago, to clean up the neighborhood of the gangs of new york they backfilled the pond but the underground stream feeders still exist below. When they recently redeveloped the park they disturbed nesting sites and rats would stream out of the ground even mid day. It was a total horror show for anyone squeamish. The park is finished but the rats are still there

Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Have seen the devices you mentioned to try to repel the rats along Park Avenue on the UES as I was walking from the Le Pain Quotidien on 84th and Madison some weeks ago *eating* nonetheless, and thought of your post. If they have them on Park Avenue, they must have some *HUGE* ones along Lex, which is as dirty as ever. Saw one that was run over by 86th and Lex several months ago.

Park Avenue and many of the side streets on UES have a bad problem with rats. People paying tens of millions for apartments or townhouses only to have visible rat bait stations or other devices on property.

Lexington is BAD, BAD, BAD with rats. Part of it is the subway, the rest is either filth from humans and or the garbage thrown out nightly from all those shops that sell food.

Friends live near Lenox Hill hospital and rats have been invading the corner of East 76th; coming out of the sewer grates and or holes in asphalt to get at the garbage. In particular the mounds of food laden trash thrown out by that DAG on corner nightly.

You know it is bad when the homeless/dumpster divers won't go near a supermarket's trash, and they now largely avoid that DAG. Except one Chinese older lady who comes early (she is often seen waiting down the street), to get at DAG's trash just when it goes out, and before rats get there first.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 1 day ago)

19,306 posts, read 32,774,221 times
Rats are the primary reason I could never live in Manhattan, no matter how much money I make. Sorry but it's just disgusting.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-12-2017, 05:57 PM

7,591 posts, read 2,710,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Rats are the primary reason I could never live in Manhattan, no matter how much money I make. Sorry but it's just disgusting.
Am thinking Far Rockaway isn't much better in that regard...

Old 07-12-2017, 06:07 PM

894 posts, read 393,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If they were smart they would assign small teams of NYPD to enforce littering laws and issue summons. It would be a cashflow positive exercise and clean up the streets. Of course DeBozo would never greenlight such a thing, because those poor slobs are victims of society and don't need to be victimized any further. Poor things
Having actual solutions and suggesting behavior modification techniques will not be tolerated atound these parts!!. Someone is about to earn millions on this rat contract. Go away with your common sense lol.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:09 PM

What cannot believe is how BdeBoob can spend $32 *MILLION* on rat control.

Someone is stuffing themselves somewhere.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,279,592 times
I'm no fan of DeBlasio, but is an extra $32M to DSNY's $1.7B budget really significant? Looks like the greatest cost is increasing garbage pickup, which I would support.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:46 PM

14,889 posts, read 17,458,236 times
All great leading cities have rat problems. Examples are Constantinople and London. The more wealth, thier will be more rats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City