U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:41 PM

7,589 posts, read 2,707,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Such as?
Elsewhere, have see garbage put into large bins that close to keep any rats out. Garbage is frequently picked up. Am thinking we need to look at what Europe does. Streets are a lot cleaner. Require stores to wash down sidewalks with soap and hot water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,291,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Elsewhere, have see garbage put into large bins that close to keep any rats out. Garbage is frequently picked up. Am thinking we need to look at what Europe does. Streets are a lot cleaner. Require stores to wash down sidewalks with soap and hot water.
Ok, I was just curious. I'm in Hawaii now. While I'm in town Honolulu and live in a condo high rise (so haven't really seen trash collect around here), when I lived further up island sanitation had a device to grab/pick up trash cans outside of private homes and empty/dump the trash into the truck.

Based on the different places I've lived, though, NYC seems to have a pretty robust trash collection schedule. Perhaps not as robust as is needed, though?

I have seen some of the modern, rat-resistant trash cans being deployed in NYC, but it remains to be seen where, at the city level in city parks, etc., the city will invest what is needed to get all of those places covered.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:19 PM

6,842 posts, read 4,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ok, I was just curious. I'm in Hawaii now. While I'm in town Honolulu and live in a condo high rise (so haven't really seen trash collect around here), when I lived further up island sanitation had a device to grab/pick up trash cans outside of private homes and empty/dump the trash into the truck.

Based on the different places I've lived, though, NYC seems to have a pretty robust trash collection schedule. Perhaps not as robust as is needed, though?

I have seen some of the modern, rat-resistant trash cans being deployed in NYC, but it remains to be seen where, at the city level in city parks, etc., the city will invest what is needed to get all of those places covered.
i been to Hawaii several times. They have the same process in Honolulu (Waikiki) to collect trash. The trash is placed in a wheeled container an a garbage truck picks up the container and dumps it inside and then puts the wheeled container back in the street and another garbage man puts the container back into its place.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 PM

18,315 posts, read 11,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
i been to Hawaii several times. They have the same process in Honolulu (Waikiki) to collect trash. The trash is placed in a wheeled container an a garbage truck picks up the container and dumps it inside and then puts the wheeled container back in the street and another garbage man puts the container back into its place.

Just so people know parts of Hawaii have serious rat infestation issues.

Brain-invading parasite carried by rats, slugs spreading in Hawaii - Chicago Tribune

Couple contracts rat lungworm disease on Hawaii honeymoon - CBS News

Oh, rats! - Thegardenisland.com: Local

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3W-vVX1kc

Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 PM

Disgusting. Am thinking there isn't a Chinatown that isn't *FILTHY*, including the ones around the city.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:28 PM

18,315 posts, read 11,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Disgusting. Am thinking there isn't a Chinatown that isn't *FILTHY*, including the ones around the city.

It is interesting that at least before NYC cracked down you could by all sorts of Chinese insect and rodent control products down around Canal Street.

12 Arrested in Sales of Illegal Pesticides in Chinatown - The New York Times

Old 07-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is interesting that at least before NYC cracked down you could by all sorts of Chinese insect and rodent control products down around Canal Street.

12 Arrested in Sales of Illegal Pesticides in Chinatown - The New York Times
Can only remember how filthy Canal Street was down in Chinatown and said *NEVER AGAIN*.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,291,005 times
Completely disgusting! Funny thing is that--and while I don't doubt that some places on Oahu have a rat problem--I haven't come across any rats in the year and a half that I've been on island. Whereas back in NYC, there was never a day when I didn't see at least a handful.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,635,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Seven G's for a trash can? Well that takes a load off my mind. Know now where a good part of that $32 million is going.

EV Grieve: City ready to attack rats in Tompkins Square Park (and elsewhere) (again)

I'll say it again, some people are stuffing themselves.
the craziest part is there is a rash of thieves stealing trash cans in NYC for scrap.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:03 AM

20,169 posts, read 26,469,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Rattus Rattus lives matter!!!!!!
WHat we need are more Felis catus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City