U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 PM

45 posts, read 31,477 times

Advertisements

Hi so I just spent my first day running around New York saw a few areas like union square and grand central and parts of Central Park also spent a little time in Brooklyn. I am absolutely in love with this city and need to move here. My question is what should I do tomorrow my friend who I am staying with works from 1pm-8pm so I'll be alone all day pretty much what should I do any recommendations would help thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 PM

1,219 posts, read 969,159 times
Explore Uptown.... Harlem and Washington Heights. Check out the Bronx too while you're at it, specifically the Bronx zoo, Yankee stadium, Arthur ave which is the Bronx's little Italy, Fordham road around Fordham University and Grand Concourse. The hub (3rd ave and 149th street area) is interesting too.

Take a ride out Queens on the 7 train explore Long Island City, Jackson Heights, Flushing, and Fresh Meadows Park near the Mets stadium. Astoria on the N/W train is a cool neighborhood too, good food.

If you want to see the beach grab the A train to Far Rockaway. Get off at Broad Channel and transfer to the shuttle train to Rockaway Park beach. If you want an amusement park/beach mix hit up Coney Island.

Last edited by Yeadon718; 07-12-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 PM

Explore Brooklyn some more too.

Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Prospect Park, downtown Brooklyn, Park Slope, Crown Heights along Nostrand and Franklin avs, Brooklyn Heights, etc all cool areas...

Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 PM

7,557 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Explore Uptown.... Harlem and Washington Heights. Check our the Bronx too while you're at it, specifically the Bronx zoo, Yankee stadium, Arthur road, Fordham road around Fordham University and Grand Concourse. The hub (3rd ave and 149th street area) is interesting too.

Take a ride out Queens on the 7 train explore Long Island City, Jackson Heights, Flushing, and Fresh Meadows Park near the Mets stadium. Astoria on the N/W train is a cool neighborhood too, good food.

If you want to see the beach grab the A train to Far Rockaway. Get off at Broad Channel and transfer to the shuttle train to Rockaway Park beach. If you want an amusement park/beach mix hit up Coney Island.
Am thinking you want the OP to experience culture shock or have nightmares. Cannot understand what there is to see by the Hub. Would say the same about the area by Fordham Road.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am thinking you want the OP to experience culture shock or have nightmares. Cannot understand what there is to see by the Hub. Would say the same about the area by Fordham Road.
Hey the OP would get a real New York experience if they visited Fordham road, I see white people there all the time. The hub.... well I mean it is the south Bronx. I doubt anything bad would happen. Its just an urban, bustling, fast paced shopping junction that's mostly patronized by Puerto Ricans and black people. Old New York still survives here. Its something about the vibe. The OP can even get a $30 tattoo at the shop next to McDonald's.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:48 PM

Forgot to mention East Village, Lower East Side, Canal street, Tribeca, SoHo, West 4th, Battery Park, and the Staten Island ferry.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 PM

343 posts, read 145,757 times
You cant see it all in one day so just chill, pick one place nearby and explore the streets. Just sit at a few cafes or find a lunch spot. Limit train rides as much as you can. Maybe a cab ride. But Id just chill, sit a lot, rest your feet, eat whatever you want. Get a coffee. Sit. Relax. People
Watch. Best places for easy exploring are probably the village, lower east side or if brooklyn is your thing.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM

45 posts, read 31,477 times
Yea I'm gunna pick random trains I believe for the most part and get off randomly and just adventure around a bit I wanna see the upper east and west side DUMBO lower east side maybe china town. Friend tells me about something called the skyline sounded interesting. I'm just so in love with everything that's happening everyone moving the noises of cars and trains and sirens the city has so much life it's insane.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Check the NYC ferry -- you can take it to DUMBO and some other Brooklyn locations. It's only $2.75 per ride.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:38 PM

343 posts, read 145,757 times
Since you have one day only I suggest limiting your travel time. You will get lost and waste most your day transferring from train to train. Id just take a train to the Lower East Side or Greenwich Village and walk or cab from there. Chill at places and eat all sorts of food and cafes.

You are trying to do too much in too little time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or