U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 10:18 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,569,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I used to love living in Riis Projects on Avenue D because it was so close to all of the nice amenities of Manhattan. I would go to the farmers market and go to plays at public theater and **** like that. My apartment was spacious and the courtyard was nice in that project also I could work out right there on the river.

But yes it was a struggle in the projects one summer I saw two stabbings and got jumped. There are lots of gangs in the area and people living in poverty who are angry about the cost of living rising in their neighborhood and who are fed up with yuppies
If I had to live un NYCHA, I would probably choose the Riis Houses. They seem relatively tame as far as projects go, and the location is great.

As far as gentrification goes, that ship has sailed for that area quite some time ago except for Avenue D.

I wonder if the liquor board would allow a bar to go on that street, and what kind of clientele it would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's a really odd statement to make. You realize the PJs were there before gentrification right?
Obviously. My point is that it's a quirk because pretty much everywhere else in Lower Manhattan is super gentrified, and Avenue D is like an isolated chunk of hood.

You walk two blocks to the West and it's fully gentrified. Even Avenue C is pretty gentrified depending on the block.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM

108 posts, read 215,715 times
Thanks for the help!
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or