U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,495,836 times
Reputation: 6078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Due to political polarization, plus the rise of social justice warriors. Though the social justice warriors got a huge blow with the election of Trump, and that the fact despite all of Trump's issues, there's no clear Democratic contender in 2020.
It's not like there has never been polarization before. See: the 1960s

 
Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 AM
 
24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Didn't expect this thread to be popular but I'm glad it is. At least we're discussing real issues in NYC as opposed to being inundated with affordable housing threads.

We can start an entire other discussion on public education in NYC and how it's a perfect microcosm of these fake "progressivism".

I present to you, Manhattan's ZONED district 2. If you don't live in district 2, you ain't getting into any of the schools. Ever. Weird, right? lol
Public schools run like private schools but with public money. NYC "Progressives" are soooo for diversity and inclusion.




District 1. Choice Schools. Anyone from NYC can apply for these schools. I wonder why.
District 2, which excludes the Upper West Side and the Lower East Side is clearly a holdover from the era of segregation. It wasn't recently created, but I agree with you politicians like de Blasio should certainly open up all NYC public schools to whoever wanted to apply.

District 2 was created to protect what was then considered well off white neighborhoods. This was before gentrification so LES and UWS were left out.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 AM
 
24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It's not like there has never been polarization before. See: the 1960s
I never said there wasn't. We were speaking contemporary context.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 AM
 
24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Most conservatives are far from libertarian. Evidence of that being the fact that most conservatives support stop and frisk and most will support war.
Good point.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:11 AM
 
3,671 posts, read 2,149,729 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Most conservatives are far from libertarian. Evidence of that being the fact that most conservatives support stop and frisk and most will support war.
True!
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 AM
 
3,671 posts, read 2,149,729 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
\

Your ideology is all over the place.
I agree, was thinking the same thing.
However, I suppose we are all entitled to our individuality!
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:38 AM
 
1,998 posts, read 1,362,667 times
Reputation: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring too.
To be more explicit now a days you are not a progressive liberal unless you give away all your disposable income to the poor, allow homeless to sleep in your house, send your children to high poverty school, and let others sleep with your wife/husband. Honestly, I might switch over to being a republican in order to protect gun laws because I am going to need a gun to protect my family from people with that mentality. Both the republicans and democrats are in favor of using policies that dismantle the middle class, yet people wonder why inequality continues to increase.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:42 AM
 
3,671 posts, read 2,149,729 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
To be more explicit now a days you are not a progressive liberal unless you give away all your disposable income to the poor, allow homeless to sleep in your house, send your children to high poverty school, and let others sleep with your wife/husband. Honestly, I might switch over to being a republican in order to protect gun laws because I am going to need a gun to protect my family from people with that mentality. Both the republicans and democrats are in favor of using policies that dismantle the middle class, yet people wonder why inequality continues to increase.
I do agree that on economic issues, neither party seems to be helping the middle class much.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 AM
 
24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
To be more explicit now a days you are not a progressive liberal unless you give away all your disposable income to the poor, allow homeless to sleep in your house, send your children to high poverty school, and let others sleep with your wife/husband. Honestly, I might switch over to being a republican in order to protect gun laws because I am going to need a gun to protect my family from people with that mentality. Both the republicans and democrats are in favor of using policies that dismantle the middle class, yet people wonder why inequality continues to increase.
No one is expecting someone to let homeless sleep in their houses, give away all their disposable income to the poor, etc (at least no one who isn't either mentally ill or extremely low IQ).

However pointing out the hypocritical attitudes of people or if the city as a whole is valid and justice. New York City claims to love it's diversity and love it's immigrants and minorities, yet they protect the wealthiest white people in a district called zone 2 where other people cannot send their kids to go to school. Granted those are the only wealthy white Manhattan neighborhoods (the district doesn't include the UWS or LES) but there is no excuse for maintaining this kind of segregation in a city where all residents in some form or another are paying taxes.

I think one reason why people point that out is that it's not okay for these schools to take in one or two non whites while excluding the rest of the city. People who live in the outer boroughs and upper Manhattan (all those minorities/immigrants) are paying taxes for public schools in NYC as well. It's called tokenism (superficially choosing one or two individual minorities to deflect accusations of racism). People these days easily see through this, and it's just not acceptable.

I think that's where wawaweewa is coming from.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 11:22 AM
 
3,671 posts, read 2,149,729 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one is expecting someone to let homeless sleep in their houses, give away all their disposable income to the poor, etc (at least no one who isn't either mentally ill or extremely low IQ).

However pointing out the hypocritical attitudes of people or if the city as a whole is valid and justice. New York City claims to love it's diversity and love it's immigrants and minorities, yet they protect the wealthiest white people in a district called zone 2 where other people cannot send their kids to go to school. Granted those are the only wealthy white Manhattan neighborhoods (the district doesn't include the UWS or LES) but there is no excuse for maintaining this kind of segregation in a city where all residents in some form or another are paying taxes.
To be fair, those poor people who don't work (or work off the books) are not paying income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top