U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 AM

8,592 posts, read 7,032,567 times

Advertisements

No, a cop doesn't need to suspect a crime is in progress to stop someone. Not by law, not by that former judge's decision and not by DeBlasio's decree. No matter who often you say it, it won't become true. This stuff is easily researchable. You should read up on it.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 AM

24,015 posts, read 17,452,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You think these crazies walking around here shooting innocent people should be out and about? Yes, we need protection from these savages. What happened to that cop in the Bronx was ridiculous, and how you can act as if we as a society don't need protection from such animals is disturbing but not shocking. Perhaps Stop & Frisk stops that nut job from killing that cop and then offing himself, but I'm not a man for believing in living in a civilized world. Don't make me laugh.
I'd say you're not a man at all.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I don't see a problem with stop and frisk, as long as it is not done in a discriminatory fashion, based on race or ethnicity. It should be done based on the police officer's believing there is some (valid) suspicion that the person in question may have a weapon.

Thankfully I don't live in a high-crime neighborhood, but I do work in one, and my clients who live there, in the projects, etc., often share with me that they feel stop and frisk kept their neighborhood safer in the past (before it was repealed) and more guns off the street, because people were less brazen about carrying guns around, for fear they would be frisked.
How does an officer have a valid suspicion that someone has a weapon? What does a weapon look like?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No, a cop doesn't need to suspect a crime is in progress to stop someone. Not by law, not by that former judge's decision and not by DeBlasio's decree. No matter who often you say it, it won't become true. This stuff is easily researchable. You should read up on it.
Be happy the NYPD is unionized, clearly that's the only way you have a job unless of course your internogangdterbpersona is fake.

Police forces have to follow local decrees and laws. De Blasio made no decree, as mayor he chose not continue the appeal of the Bloomberg administration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop..._New_York_City

The Bloomberg administration abused Terry vs Ohio. According to those numbers, stop and frisk went from 685, 724 to 22, 939. So clearly the NYPD follows Scheindlin's ruling.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM

8,592 posts, read 7,032,567 times
The problem is you're way off on what you think that judge said. I told you the truth of the matter in the last few posts, it's up to you what your take away is. Just know that if a cop stops you based on reasonable suspicion, it is legal, as it always has been. You could ask DeBlasio himself if you want. They'll document it on the new form, call their supervisor and go about their business. As I said earlier, those were the only changes her decision led to.

The reason the numbers dropped so drastically is because cops are no longer being forced to do it, as Kelly and Bloomberg were doing. Now every stop is being made based on Terry v Ohio only.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The problem is you're way off on what you think that judge said. I told you the truth of the matter in the last few posts, it's up to you what your take away is. Just know that if a cop stops you based on reasonable suspicion, it is legal, as it always has been. You could ask DeBlasio himself if you want. They'll document it on the new form, call their supervisor and go about their business. As I said earlier, those were the only changes her decision led to.
I'm not way off. Obviously if that number of people being stopped has dropped from 685,724 to 22,000, cops are not stopping people based on reasonable suspicion.

I've even see the change on the streets of Manhattan. Dealers pretty much go about their business, and the cops do nothing to dealers unless some serious crime has happened. This is certainly true of Upper Manhattan, Lower East Side, and Queens.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 AM

8,111 posts, read 3,418,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
YTD murders are down, last time I checked.
As if that's the only way to measure if quality of life has improved or not. Under de Blowsio, the streets are filthier than ever - trash overflowing. *TONS* of nut jobs walking around. Am on guard far more often now and am not in ghetto areas a lot, so that should tell you something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That guy obviously would not have been stopped by stop and frisk considering he went as far as to kill a cop.
Since Stop & Frisk isn't around, cannot say for certain. Am here to tell you that such a policy stopped the crazies from being so bold.

Quote:
I don't see a problem with stop and frisk, as long as it is not done in a discriminatory fashion, based on race or ethnicity. It should be done based on the police officer's believing there is some (valid) suspicion that the person in question may have a weapon.

Thankfully I don't live in a high-crime neighborhood, but I do work in one, and my clients who live there, in the projects, etc., often share with me that they feel stop and frisk kept their neighborhood safer in the past (before it was repealed) and more guns off the street, because people were less brazen about carrying guns around, for fear they would be frisked.
Of course, but these are the same people that won't say that out in the open. Have never been stopped and frisked, but anytime an officer asked me to do something, followed orders accordingly. Am thinking the problem is some people wanna be *tough* or whatever and not obey authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'd say you're not a man at all.
That's saying *a lot* coming from you. *LOL*

Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:

There were also big movements from those neighborhoods to end stop and frisk, which culminated in the aforementioned lawsuit and the election of de Blasio. Those neighborhoods are high crime due to low levels of education, and high levels of unemployment including long term welfare assistance. Of course segregating people by race and income reinforces.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,305,094 times
Interesting conversation. Y'all certainly live in a whole different world than we do, but there are some parallels between our cultures.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 AM

8,111 posts, read 3,418,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Interesting conversation. Y'all certainly live in a whole different world than we do, but there are some parallels between our cultures.
*LOL* at Y'all. Am here to tell you unlike down there, don't believe in frying others or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or