U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM

10 posts, read 4,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Did you do anything to stop the Puerto Rican displacement from the UWS as prices went up? No. You're proving wawaweewa's point. Recent arrivals have little or no interest in NYC politics. It's the long term NYC progressives that wawaweewa referred to. They maintained a district zoning for NYC which is inherently exclusive, racist, and classist, and yes this is worse than Kansas in some ways. Lay off the hypocrisy.
How can a lone citizen do anything against speculation and banks and financial powers? There is nothing "I" personally could have done to stop any displacement. Who is the "they" you are referring to? I want names of people who specifically maintained the zoning you refer to. Worse than Kansas? Oh please...

Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 AM

4,788 posts, read 4,675,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Went for the biggest bang for the buck. Why would they search low crime areas? Whole point of Stop and Frisk is to reduce crime in high-crime areas using what limited resources exist. Am thinking you propose resources should be *wasted* in Manhattan Beach, Bergen Beach, Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Brooklyn Heights and Mill Basin as opposed to East New York or Brownsville.
My husband and I were just stopped recently in one of the areas you just listed. It was about 2 AM. They asked us what we were doing. My husband said, "Parking the car?" Then they asked if we lived around the area. Guess we didn't look like junkies, so they left us alone after my husband asked them what was going on and they told us they were on the lookout for drug activity.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:06 AM

23,263 posts, read 16,088,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressiveliberal View Post
How can a lone citizen do anything against speculation and banks and financial powers? There is nothing "I" personally could have done to stop any displacement. Who is the "they" you are referring to? I want names of people who specifically maintained the zoning you refer to. Worse than Kansas? Oh please...
Oh but you certainly could have. You could have publically spoken out against it, you could have organized rallies, or joined rallies, you could have worked with leaders within the Puerto Rican community to see what they needed, etc.

Yet you did nothing. I agree with Wawaweea, fake progressives are jerks.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:25 PM

849 posts, read 453,459 times
Quote:
Oh but you certainly could have. You could have publically spoken out against it, you could have organized rallies, or joined rallies, you could have worked with leaders within the Puerto Rican community to see what they needed, etc.

Unless any of those actions fund actual action, they don't do anything except make people feel superior.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Unless any of those actions fund actual action, they don't do anything except make people feel superior.
Depending on how those actions are implemented, they do indeed find actual action. But the point is the UWS did absolutely nothing and is either ineffective or useless or was complicit in the removal of Puerto Rican's from the UWS. Why should anyone think of someone like him as progressive.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:05 PM

227 posts, read 79,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
White neighborhoods have lower crime rates. Duh. Your curiosity sounds more like obliviousness.
I figured you'd give a dumb response. That's all I have. Not even bothering to respond to a ridiculous generalization like this. ciao.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:06 PM

10 posts, read 4,230 times
Quote:

Kinda hard to do either way when you're a kid as I was in that era...

But even so, it does absolutely nothing. Bottom line is bottom line. Most of the people living on the UWS now are NOT from there and the only true UWSiders left are very old, or aging or a few remain in rent stabilized apartments.

Fake progressives are jerks...I agree - look at De Blasio...but don't generalize.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progressiveliberal View Post
Kinda hard to do either way when you're a kid as I was in that era...

But even so, it does absolutely nothing. Bottom line is bottom line. Most of the people living on the UWS now are NOT from there and the only true UWSiders left are very old, or aging or a few remain in rent stabilized apartments.

Fake progressives are jerks...I agree - look at De Blasio...but don't generalize.
So what was your point in claiming that there were all these native New York UWSidetrs? Now you're claiming they don't exist when I point they cannot have been legitimately progressive since they allowed the neighborhoods Puerto Ticans to be displaced. Fake progressive=jerks including those old UWSidets,

Old 07-18-2017, 04:34 PM

9,946 posts, read 7,706,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
I figured you'd give a dumb response. That's all I have. Not even bothering to respond to a ridiculous generalization like this. ciao.
It is reality. Sorry if it offends you. I rather it not be the case, but it is what it is. You are not responding because you know it is the unfortunate truth, and you have no argument.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 PM

227 posts, read 79,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is reality. Sorry if it offends you. I rather it not be the case, but it is what it is. You are not responding because you know it is the unfortunate truth, and you have no argument.
Dude, you make an over-generalization and you think it offends me? I've heard that my people are "red", "primitive", and "head scalpers". Yet I know not one First Nation person who has red skin , who is "primitive", and chops off the headpieces of other people.

You should be offended that you think this way...in 2017...with bounds of information at your fingertips. So should I take a page from your book and say that all whites are liars because every promise they have given to my tribe and others have been broken? Of course not. I can't argue with ignorance. Neither could Voltaire -

There are many kinds of ignorance; but the worst of all is that of critics, who, it is well known, are doubly bound to possess information and judgment as persons who undertake to affirm and to censure. When they pronounce erroneously, therefore, they are doubly culpable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or