U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I am acquainted with people from all over New York City, black, white, from all ethnicities.

There are drug and crime problems in some very poor black neighborhoods, true.

But in white working- and middle-class neighborhoods I find there is a thin veneer of functionality that is easily seen through if you look very hard - and if you do look you will see TONS of alcoholism (far more than in any black neighborhood), prescription drug use (leading to heroin use eventually), cocaine use, domestic violence, etc.
You don't have to look that hard. Traditionally poor white neighborhoods in NYC have a massive per bar capita that you would not find in a Black or Latino neighborhood. Well off white neighborhoods restrict the numbers of bars and liquor store. Look at the insane number of bars in the East Village/LES.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:59 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
Exactly.
There is a - for lack of a better word - "low class-ness" that you will actually see less in a black or Hispanic neighborhood, where people will often greet you with "Have a blessed day" and courtesy and kindness.
People in Black and Hispanic neighborhoods hang out in the street, but people actually know each other and have people to speak to including their numbers. Since the white posters on this forum think they're to good for that, that also tells me they have no one to talk to outside of going to work and in their homes. This isn't emotionally healthy and if you live like that it's easy to understand why domestic violence and addiction are issues.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,792,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You don't have to look that hard. Traditionally poor white neighborhoods in NYC have a massive per bar capita that you would not find in a Black or Latino neighborhood. Well off white neighborhoods restrict the numbers of bars and liquor store. Look at the insane number of bars in the East Village/LES.
I agree. The "bar culture" in white (non-Jewish) neighborhoods is not very high class and brings many social problems along with it.
Are there many bars in Maspeth and Glendale, like there are in Woodlawn?
Just curious.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
Quote:
People in Black and Hispanic neighborhoods hang out in the street, but people actually know each other and have people to speak to including their numbers. Since the white posters on this forum think they're to good for that, that also tells me they have no one to talk to outside of going to work and in their homes. This isn't emotionally healthy and if you live like that it's easy to understand why domestic violence and addiction are issues.
I was outside with multiple neighbors today and their children. Then a caretaker came and I spoke to her about my 87 year old neighbor who recently had a stroke. Everyone was nice and respectful and no loud music, games of chance, drinking, smelly cooking food, violence or disrespect of passing women happened. Amazing.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
Maybe some just don't understand how regular American, single-family, middle-class neighborhoods work?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I agree.
There is a healthy social and community culture in some of the white Jewish neighborhoods (both ultra- and modern-Orthodox) as well as in the more upper income artsy white neighborhoods like Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, etc., where people talk to each other and get together for cultural and religious events, etc.

But in some of the more blue collar white working- and middle-class neighborhoods, there is a scary undercurrent of violence and dysfunctionality. (The kind of violence and dysfunctionality...that was attracted to a candidate like Donald Trump! )

Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
It's not just Woodlawn.
And it's not just Irish people.
The statistics show that white Americans in general use alcohol more than black Americans.
Am here to say that I drink alcohol. Doesn't automatically make me an alcoholic.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Maybe some just don't understand how regular American, single-family, middle-class neighborhoods work?
White people are not more "regular" or "American" than people of color or ethnic minorities.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to say that I drink alcohol. Doesn't automatically make me an alcoholic.
That's fine.
But there's a higher rate of alcoholism among whites than among blacks.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM

227 posts, read 79,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Putting all your sensitivities behind you, what black neighborhood has a lower crime rate per its populace than a white neighborhood? Even use a black neighborhood that has a higher median income than the comparing white neighborhood.

Statistics are not math. Like engineering and physics, it relies heavily on mathematical techniques.

Regarding systemic racism, reparations should have definitely been paid out long ago through a legal settlement of some sort. Definitely not by means of welfare programs. White man just uses that to control everything. Cash is king.
Hm. Okay using your rules, let's try 2 towns within the same state and vicinity. These 1st two are in Texas where I live now.
1) Missouri City (majority black, low/mid income) - Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
2) Vidor, TX - Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And here are 2 in NYS where I lived at one time
1) Troy, NY (majority white) - Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
2) Elmont, NY (majority black) --Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Statistics may want to differentiate itself from mathematics but it is, at its core, mathematics b/c it uses a significant amount of mathematical principles - from algebra to probability theory - to justify itself as a discipline. I don't think it's fair to compare statistics to physics which uses a mixture of mathematics and theoretical understandings of energy and matter to elevate human knowledge of such things as relativity and quantum mechanics.

Reparations does not repair ongoing systematic racism. Yes, reparations should be paid out to every Black citizen (and Native American for that matter) in America. Instead, Native Americans have been given welfare while Blacks have been given nothing except illusory reparation schemes such as affirmative action which provides opportunity for some but still doesn't eradicate systematic racism.

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2017 at 06:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or