U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 AM
 
1,136 posts, read 438,573 times
Reputation: 1010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am wondering the following: How can one predict such future behavior if it's so subtle to begin with? Was the point I was making. It's difficult to prove something if it's questionable as to whether or not it even exists. You have plenty of people in this boat that think because they see multiracial people together that all is well. Nevermind the racist comments made under the breath, looks of disgust, or the sighing or sucking of teeth to show disgust with certain things.

Oh Columbia University Grad dude is at it again with his we're all one people rhetoric. Am here to tell you there's a world outside of Harlem.
Sure, you could just make a broader claim that behavior and mental processes are too subtle and complex to measure. That would throw out a lot of knowledge that has been gained in psychology and utilized to improve people's lives. That includes prejudice, as interventions have successfully reduced both blatant and more subtle forms of prejudice. You could argue that there's a third form of prejudice that's so subtle no human or instrument can detect it and it's not suitable for study. Fine, but that doesn't negate the importance of what has been learned about blatant and fairly subtle forms of prejudice. Prejudice is multi-faceted, and has varying degrees of subtlety. You definitely can't make a generalization about all prejudice being too subtle to be studied.

 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You have lots of white people who move to Upper Manhattan, Busheick, Bedstuy, Jackson Heights, Astoria, Dunset Park, and a host of other neighborhoods with many immigrants and/or Black people. Why does this get forgotten? The people pointing their fingers at white progressives for ej get racists have three pointed back at themselves.
And in those neighborhoods they usually can self-segregate as they are paying higher rents, so while the neighborhood may be majority minority, their actual building may be majority white. Have heard of some tenants complain when there are minorities in the building that it will become too ghetto or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Sure, you could just make a broader claim that behavior and mental processes are too subtle and complex to measure. That would throw out a lot of knowledge that has been gained in psychology and utilized to improve people's lives. That includes prejudice, as interventions have successfully reduced both blatant and more subtle forms of prejudice. You could argue that there's a third form of prejudice that's so subtle no human or instrument can detect it and it's not suitable for study. Fine, but that doesn't negate the importance of what has been learned about blatant and fairly subtle forms of prejudice. Prejudice is multi-faceted, and has varying degrees of subtlety. You definitely can't make a generalization about all prejudice being too subtle to be studied.
Never said all racism was subtle. Simply said that more of it is becoming that way, but there is plenty of blatant racism around.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,778 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Reputation: 7506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What is "SJW"?
Social Justice Warrior. NYC is full of this vermin scum.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How about the all-white racist, reactionary, bigot class? Why leave them out of the discussion? Some of THEM claim to know a black person who doesn't change his oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I have a few cousins who are this type of limousine liberals, in the rich parts of westchester. I mostly grew up in the middle class part of westchester. They always vote for affirmative action and affordable housing and things, because they're wealthy enough that it won't effect THEM. That stuff happens in MY town (well, where I used to live), and then they act like I'm intolerant when I complain that the population of my town's high school has tripled, scores have fallen, nobody speak english etc. They're more concerned with fake issues like having more black or trans characters in hollywood movies, but couldn't care less about anyone struggling financially if they're white. There are a few "real" behaviors throw in with their fakery but it seems rare. Basically, they're Hillary people, not Bernie people.

On the other hand I don't blame anyone for acting like it's ww3 when the city tries to bus hood kids into their district. That doesn't happen in westchester but it does in the city. I would think they're douches if they complain about it after being the ones who advocate for the policy, but I would understand why they're mad. Also, there are no all white areas in NYC. A place being 70% white does not mean it's all white.
I'm not sure why you would care so much about the state of your high school unless you plan on sending your kids there. I bet it's not that bad anyway.

And Bernie's platform is considered to me more liberal so I'm not sure what you mean.

That being said, Hillary received more support from minorities and in my opinion more principled liberals. Part of this is because of the behavior of the BernieBros.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:16 AM
 
849 posts, read 451,498 times
Reputation: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm not sure why you would care so much about the state of your high school unless you plan on sending your kids there. I bet it's not that bad anyway.

And Bernie's platform is considered to me more liberal so I'm not sure what you mean.

That being said, Hillary received more support from minorities and in my opinion more principled liberals. Part of this is because of the behavior of the BernieBros.
Yes, Bernie is more liberal, which is why I said my faker relatives were Hillary people. And the main problem with the high school was that the giant class size caused the taxes to SKYROCKET in exchange for worse performance.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I do agree with much of this, I have to say (not all of it.)

Lots of "progressives" LOVE their all-white neighborhoods. They choose them, but then pout about how they are "not diverse". (So why didn't they move to the many diverse neighborhoods in the city?)

I also see a lot of this nasty activism on the part of progressives in white neighborhoods when things like a homeless shelter is scheduled to be built in their neighborhood, or a school will be rezoned, more integrated, etc. In the end, it is all about money for most people (their property values, etc.)

And yes, for SURE, most white progressives have all/mostly white friends.

There is definitely hypocrisy among progressives.
I don't think it's fair to say most white progressives have all white friend groups. I'm pretty sure most of the hipsters in places like Bushwick have diverse friend groups.

My cousin is a white hipster (in Kensington) and his friend group is diverse.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,778 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Reputation: 7506
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I understand your point OP and basically agree that there's a lot of hypocrisy on the part of liberals, but it's in no way limited to New York. Once in a while the Times (whose readership is national I assume) publishes an opinion piece advocating for increased school integration and the "liberal" commenters go crazy!! You'd think their kids were going to catch something. I've also read that people tend to segregate themselves more and more from people who are different from themselves in the entire country, so it's not only a NYC phenomenon.

However, I don't think that wanting to live in Cobble Hill rather than East New York makes someone a racist. There are tons of other factors that make Cobble Hill the more attractive neighborhood, including transportation access. The truth is that in Brooklyn, the whiter neighborhoods tend to have much better transportation access and are situated closer to Manhattan and most people's jobs. In contrast, in the Bronx, the whiter neighborhoods tend to have much worse transportation access than areas where whites are a minority. In the Bronx, there are, in my opinion, less clear and compelling reasons to travel to these neighborhoods than to some other better situated working class and middle class neighborhoods with much better transportation access (that are not majority white). I'm sure that for some people, whiteness is a major draw for the far-flung neighborhoods. The caveat is that white neighborhoods in the Bronx tend to be much more conservative than the city on the whole (excluding Riverdale I'd think). So a fair amount of people willing to do the treck to live in majority white Bronx neighborhoods are actually conservatives.

Anyway, I'd take a flawed liberal any day over your typical conservative. As someone else said, at least they tend to support policies help a wide segment of the population. And as you said in another thread, non-white majority middle class and working class neighborhoods in the Bronx are getting more integrated but very slowly. As a small landlord in Bedford Park since 2004, I can say that the demographics of people looking to move up here has changed very much over the years (more white people). And interracial marriage, which has gone up dramatically over the years, helps neighborhoods to integrate too.
Prior to the age of gentrification. Ethnic people lived close to their jobs to serve their massa. This also include ethnic whites as well. Case in point projects being near docklands for dockland Irish workers way back during World War 2 era. The further out you traveled to NYC, the more white it become, example of this is Canarsie, back in the day, South Brooklyn, Eastern Queens, much of Northern and Eastern Bronx, and all of Staten Island. The intelligentsia who lived in the suburbs commuted to work via Metro North, Long Island Rail Road, NJT or by highway system. The local ethnic masses took the train to work because the home was not far from work. I remember this from a class I took from college. It explained why poor folks lived close to wealthy areas of NYC. But this notion is no longer acceptable in todays NYC.

No one did not expect for millions of educated suburban whites to move back to the city, not only in NYC, but throughout the country DC for example, Boston, SF. The millennial migration is one of the largest migrations America have ever seen except for black migrations of north/south. White suburbia does not have the professional job, and academia out put that cities offer, therefore plenty of white folks began to move back to the city. Areas that are close to the subway that offer easy access into Manhattan, which was mainly used by ethnic people as well as ethnic whites. Now these areas are used by educated suburban intelligentsia who are mainly white, while the ethnic folks now have to move further out for cheaper rent and deal with long commute times or relocate out of the region all together.

Back in the day Cobble Hill was not attractive even though it has great transportation and close to Manhattan, and beautiful housing stock. But thanks to New Urbanism, Cobble Hill is attractive for proximity to Manhattan and great transportation.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-13-2017 at 09:31 AM..
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:27 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Yes, Bernie is more liberal, which is why I said my faker relatives were Hillary people. And the main problem with the high school was that the giant class size caused the taxes to SKYROCKET in exchange for worse performance.
Well yeah that's an issue, however that must be an extreme case if the classrooms are getting that much bigger. My town has seen a good amount of immigration over the years and I don't think it has been detrimental to the school system.

A lot of staunch liberals supported Clinton because they found Bernie to be one dimensional and less likely to accomplish things. I voted for Bernie, but now I see why Clinton was more popular.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
Reputation: 7088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Why is it that people with conservative views tend to be more ignorant in general?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What is "SJW"?
Hilarity
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,778 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Reputation: 7506
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well yeah that's an issue, however that must be an extreme case if the classrooms are getting that much bigger. My town has seen a good amount of immigration over the years and I don't think it has been detrimental to the school system.

A lot of staunch liberals supported Clinton because they found Bernie to be one dimensional and less likely to accomplish things. I voted for Bernie, but now I see why Clinton was more popular.
This was true. One female educator I knew told me that Bernie was the worse and Clinton would be the best for women and black people. In my head I was laughing with agony. She said Bernie was not good for women. Staunch liberals supported the neoliberal agenda. Progressive Populist like myself backed Bernie all the day. To be honest, if Bernie would have won the primaries, plenty of liberals in NYC, DC, SF, Boston, Seattle, and such places would have sat out during the election. The reason why liberals would have sat out because Bernie does not serve their interest, and he goes against the liberal ethos. Bernie even said it himself that he is not a liberal. But when I looked at the big picture, it made so much sense why liberals did not support Bernie Sanders.

This past election was clearly about populism. Kind of like the same way how plenty of populist progressives such as myself who sat out and did not vote Hillary. I was kind of happy Trump won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top