Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:32 AM

983 posts, read 931,862 times

Advertisements

I have a few cousins who are this type of limousine liberals, in the rich parts of westchester. I mostly grew up in the middle class part of westchester. They always vote for affirmative action and affordable housing and things, because they're wealthy enough that it won't effect THEM. That stuff happens in MY town (well, where I used to live), and then they act like I'm intolerant when I complain that the population of my town's high school has tripled, scores have fallen, nobody speak english etc. They're more concerned with fake issues like having more black or trans characters in hollywood movies, but couldn't care less about anyone struggling financially if they're white. There are a few "real" behaviors throw in with their fakery but it seems rare. Basically, they're Hillary people, not Bernie people.

On the other hand I don't blame anyone for acting like it's ww3 when the city tries to bus hood kids into their district. That doesn't happen in westchester but it does in the city. I would think they're douches if they complain about it after being the ones who advocate for the policy, but I would understand why they're mad. Also, there are no all white areas in NYC. A place being 70% white does not mean it's all white.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:38 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Are you trying to say that because a neighborhood has minorities that means there isn't racism? Racism continues to become more hidden each day. It's subtle and the people that do it still want to exert themselves as putting *those people* in their place or whatever, but don't want to be labeled as racists. Racism is taboo these days. You're racist man? *NOT* cool.

You also have racist minorities too. Anyone remember *Dominican Mike* who went around Staten Island targeting black people when Obama won the election?
No, I'm saying there isn't a magical neighborhood threshold for percentage minorities that lets you identify who is and who isn't racist. There are actually much better though still imperfect psychological measures for identifying prejudice.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:57 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
No, I'm saying there isn't a magical neighborhood threshold for percentage minorities that lets you identify who is and who isn't racist. There are actually much better though still imperfect psychological measures for identifying prejudice.
Am waiting with baited breath to hear of such measures given how subtle most racism is these days. *Sarcasm*

Old 07-13-2017, 08:04 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am waiting with baited breath to hear of such measures given how subtle most racism is these days. *Sarcasm*
There are plenty of measures that can predict future behavior and judgements with good accuracy. You can read any social psychology textbook to find them. They're all published by biased liberals, though, right, and their predictive validity doesn't? I'm sure they predict behavior much better than a simplistic measure of the percentage of minority neighbors.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
There are plenty of measures that can predict future behavior and judgements with good accuracy. You can read any social psychology textbook to find them. They're all published by biased liberals, though, right, and their predictive validity doesn't? I'm sure they predict behavior much better than a simplistic measure of the percentage of minority neighbors.
Am wondering the following: How can one predict such future behavior if it's so subtle to begin with? Was the point I was making. It's difficult to prove something if it's questionable as to whether or not it even exists. You have plenty of people in this boat that think because they see multiracial people together that all is well. Nevermind the racist comments made under the breath, looks of disgust, or the sighing or sucking of teeth to show disgust with certain things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Over 25% of Asians, over 25% of Hispanics, and 10% of Blacks are married outside their perspective groups and of all three groups many of these interracial marriages involve white people.

None of those neighborhoods are all white, even if you take the housing projects out of the equation.

As far as employment goes, while professional and corporate employment will be predominately white, it is by no means all white and it's disingenuous to claim that it is.

You have social justice activists in NYC who scream at racism at everything, and would have you believe NYC is Georgia or Mississippi in the 1920s.

It's not.
Oh Columbia University Grad dude is at it again with his we're all one people rhetoric. Am here to tell you there's a world outside of Harlem.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
I understand your point OP and basically agree that there's a lot of hypocrisy on the part of liberals, but it's in no way limited to New York. Once in a while the Times (whose readership is national I assume) publishes an opinion piece advocating for increased school integration and the "liberal" commenters go crazy!! You'd think their kids were going to catch something. I've also read that people tend to segregate themselves more and more from people who are different from themselves in the entire country, so it's not only a NYC phenomenon.

However, I don't think that wanting to live in Cobble Hill rather than East New York makes someone a racist. There are tons of other factors that make Cobble Hill the more attractive neighborhood, including transportation access. The truth is that in Brooklyn, the whiter neighborhoods tend to have much better transportation access and are situated closer to Manhattan and most people's jobs. In contrast, in the Bronx, the whiter neighborhoods tend to have much worse transportation access than areas where whites are a minority. In the Bronx, there are, in my opinion, less clear and compelling reasons to travel to these neighborhoods than to some other better situated working class and middle class neighborhoods with much better transportation access (that are not majority white). I'm sure that for some people, whiteness is a major draw for the far-flung neighborhoods. The caveat is that white neighborhoods in the Bronx tend to be much more conservative than the city on the whole (excluding Riverdale I'd think). So a fair amount of people willing to do the treck to live in majority white Bronx neighborhoods are actually conservatives.

Anyway, I'd take a flawed liberal any day over your typical conservative. As someone else said, at least they tend to support policies help a wide segment of the population. And as you said in another thread, non-white majority middle class and working class neighborhoods in the Bronx are getting more integrated but very slowly. As a small landlord in Bedford Park since 2004, I can say that the demographics of people looking to move up here has changed very much over the years (more white people). And interracial marriage, which has gone up dramatically over the years, helps neighborhoods to integrate too.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I understand your point OP and basically agree that there's a lot of hypocrisy on the part of liberals, but it's in no way limited to New York. Once in a while the Times (whose readership is national I assume) publishes an opinion piece advocating for increased school integration and the "liberal" commenters go crazy!! You'd think their kids were going to catch something. I've also read that people tend to segregate themselves more and more from people who are different from themselves in the entire country, so it's not only a NYC phenomenon.

However, I don't think that wanting to live in Cobble Hill rather than East New York makes someone a racist. There are tons of other factors that make Cobble Hill the more attractive neighborhood, including transportation access. The truth is that in Brooklyn, the whiter neighborhoods tend to have much better transportation access and are situated closer to Manhattan and most people's jobs. In contrast, in the Bronx, the whiter neighborhoods tend to have much worse transportation access than areas where whites are a minority. In the Bronx, there are, in my opinion, less clear and compelling reasons to travel to these neighborhoods than to some other better situated working class and middle class neighborhoods with much better transportation access (that are not majority white). I'm sure that for some people, whiteness is a major draw for the far-flung neighborhoods. The caveat is that white neighborhoods in the Bronx tend to be much more conservative than the city on the whole (excluding Riverdale I'd think). So a fair amount of people willing to do the treck to live in majority white Bronx neighborhoods are actually conservatives.

Anyway, I'd take a flawed liberal any day over your typical conservative. As someone else said, at least they tend to support policies help a wide segment of the population. And as you said in another thread, non-white majority middle class and working class neighborhoods in the Bronx are getting more integrated but very slowly. As a small landlord in Bedford Park since 2004, I can say that the demographics of people looking to move up here has changed very much over the years (more white people). And interracial marriage, which has gone up dramatically over the years, helps neighborhoods to integrate too.
Would say that Riverdale isn't conservative on paper overall, though some do exist but more for monetary interests. However, that being said, despite what moderators like BMW will say about how *mixed* the area is, can tell you some whites that live there would *NOT* be thrilled to have too many minorities living with them, and some sections are definitely heavily white, especially west of Henry Hudson Parkway and in the estate areas. The biggest minority populations live along Broadway, which is not the glamorous Riverdale that people think of overall with the worst part of Yonkers a stone's throw away.

One can to a degree segregate themselves with money in certain areas of Riverdale or even Country Club or City Island, whereas in parts of the Bronx like Throggs Neck or Woodlawn, it's about who you know since prices can be high but may not be enough, and if transactions are done by word-of-mouth, well that keeps outsiders out. Would agree that if you look at all of the decent areas of the Bronx that are majority white, they tend to be isolated and cut off either by some expressway, cemetery, hill, park or water, and am thinking that isn't by coincidence. However, if one looks carefully, can see how those areas have seen prices go up, which acts as a barrier since transportation costs are expensive due to lack of subway.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How about the all-white racist, reactionary, bigot class? Why leave them out of the discussion? Some of THEM claim to know a black person who doesn't change his oil.
Not really certain where you're trying to go with this. These "all-white racist, reactionary, bigots" as you call them wouldn't claim to try and have diversity in their circles to show the world how progressive they are. What a weird post to make.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I do agree with much of this, I have to say (not all of it.)

Lots of "progressives" LOVE their all-white neighborhoods. They choose them, but then pout about how they are "not diverse". (So why didn't they move to the many diverse neighborhoods in the city?)

I also see a lot of this nasty activism on the part of progressives in white neighborhoods when things like a homeless shelter is scheduled to be built in their neighborhood, or a school will be rezoned, more integrated, etc. In the end, it is all about money for most people (their property values, etc.)

And yes, for SURE, most white progressives have all/mostly white friends.

There is definitely hypocrisy among progressives.
You have lots of white people who move to Upper Manhattan, Busheick, Bedstuy, Jackson Heights, Astoria, Dunset Park, and a host of other neighborhoods with many immigrants and/or Black people. Why does this get forgotten? The people pointing their fingers at white progressives for ej get racists have three pointed back at themselves.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
But they are more than willing to fund it for the quick profits, not realizing the damage they are doing to those that will work in these industries in the future. They are short sited.
Money by its very nature is short sighted. You get a good deal and you get what money while you can, when you can. The same opportunities won't always be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City