U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:52 PM

19 posts, read 8,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
This. As much as they suck, and they charge outrageous fees, your first time around, you may have to navigate with a broker. It can be done without, but it's tricky. Assuming your credit is in good shape, be prepared to have 3 months rent upfront, ready to go when you look at it. Landlords won't wait for you to go get the money, or come up with it. Have it there, ready to go.

Street Easy, PadMapper, Craigslist....is roommate.com still around? It's been quite some time since I've lived in a roommate situation, so I may be a little rusty.

As Liz stated, Airbnb may be a good option too. Some hosts will do longer-term rentals. We we relocated to Phoenix, we stayed in an Airbnb for the first month and it worked quite well for us. Make sure everything is in writing, and you go look at the place first.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, I decided to bite the bullet and go with a broker and made some calls earlier today. Hopefully, I will have some places to look at when I arrive next week. I will also have all of my paperwork ready. There is not much choice anyway since vast majority of decent apartments have broker fee attached. I have an excellent credit score, and 3 months rent should not be a problem.

I decided to go with Woodside in the end. Manhattan was tempting, but I will not get anything decent within my budget unless I share an apartment (I looked at Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen). After looking at some roommate postings on Manhattan's Craiglist, I am not sure that I want to have a roommate unless I have time to screen him/her properly. Plus, it adds another 10 minutes to my commute. There are also very few apartments close to Penn station, so my commute will probably be even longer. In Woodside, I can get decent studio/one bedroom within my price range within 0.5 miles from Woodside LIRR station. I will stay there for a year, and then, I will figure out if I want to move to Manhattan or closer to work like Bayside.

Yeah, I am thinking about doing Airbnb for 1-2 weeks.

Last edited by SwiftSweeper; 07-18-2017 at 12:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 10:33 PM

19 posts, read 8,910 times
I know that it has been half of the year since my last post, but I just want to update for anyone curious. : )

I ended up booking AirBnB from Jul 25 to Jul 30 for $50 per day. I also made calls to the brokers that had Woodside properties and arranged for showings upon my arrival. Finally, I got my apartment paperwork together (bank statements, tax returns, an offer letter etc.) before I left.

I ended up leaving on July 25th, which was 2 days later than I originally planned. Driving UHaul truck from Dallas to NYC was fun but exhausting. I saw some cool stuff along the way. Tennessee and Smokey Mountains were major highlights. I ended up driving through Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey before finally arriving to NYC on Jul 28th.

I arrived during rush hour at 5 pm. Driving a UHaul track around Manhattan and Queens was as fun as you might imagine. lol Eventually, I reached UHaul center in Woodside, unloaded my truck, and stored most of my stuff in UHaul storage facility. I only took out one suitcase with essentials (clothes, toilets etc.) and headed out to my AirBnB destination.

My AirBnB host was a Turkish guy, who has 3 bedroom apartment about 10 minutes walk from Woodside LIRR station. He rents the second bedroom to another Turkish guy and uses the third bedroom for AirBnB. I had one-bedroom to myself and had to share a bathroom with the other tenant. Both of these guys were clean and friendly, so I have had a great experience staying there.

July 29th though July 31st were spent meeting with brokers and looking at various apartments in Woodside. I saw many apartments that weren't as advertised regarding their condition, location, and/or price. Still, I ended up with two solid choices. One was a modern high raise studio, which was about 10 minutes walk from LIRR Woodside station and Roosevelt Avenue. The other was a one-bedroom pre-war CO OP, which was a half-block away from Rosevelt Avenue and 5 minutes walk from LIRR Woodside station. I settled on the Co Op because of its great condition, extra space, and location. Plus, the CO-OP had no broker fee attached. I still had to pay 1/3 of the typical broker fee to the two supers who introduced me to the CO-OP landlord though.

The CO-OP paperwork was a major challenge. It was very comprehensive and time consuming. Thankfully, I had most of my paperwork ready to go thanks to this forum. : ) Still, it took almost two weeks before I was able to move in to my new place on August 12th, so I had to extend my AirBnB stay until then. Thankfully, my AirBnB host was gracious and accommodating. I basically paid him every 4-5 days.

Overall, I like living in Woodside. There is a lot of great and cheap food. I can be in Central Park in 30 minutes, which is a major plus since I am an avid jogger. I live within 5 minutes walk from 7 train, R train, and LIRR station and about 10 minutes walk from Rosevelt Avenue-Jackson's Hights Station, which gives me access to E and F trains. Since I am half-block away from Roosevelt Avenue, I have plenty of options regarding grocery shops, restaurants, bars, barbers etc. The car feels unnecessary here.

It takes me an hour to get to work (door to door), but the commute is surprisingly easy. I get to LIRR train station a minute or two before the train arrives. The train is uncrowded with plenty of empty seats, so I can read, game, sleep whatever. I hop-off from the train at Port Washington where the company shuttle picks me up and drives me to the office.

In short, the move went pretty smoothly thanks to planning and tips from this forum, and I am pretty happy with my new home. : )

Old 01-28-2018, 11:00 PM

10,613 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
I know that it has been half of the year since my last post, but I just want to update for anyone curious. : )

I ended up booking AirBnB from Jul 25 to Jul 30 for $50 per day. I also made calls to the brokers that had Woodside properties and arranged for showings upon my arrival. Finally, I got my apartment paperwork together (bank statements, tax returns, an offer letter etc.) before I left.

I ended up leaving on July 25th, which was 2 days later than I originally planned. Driving UHaul truck from Dallas to NYC was fun but exhausting. I saw some cool stuff along the way. Tennessee and Smokey Mountains were major highlights. I ended up driving through Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey before finally arriving to NYC on Jul 28th.

I arrived during rush hour at 5 pm. Driving a UHaul track around Manhattan and Queens was as fun as you might imagine. lol Eventually, I reached UHaul center in Woodside, unloaded my truck, and stored most of my stuff in UHaul storage facility. I only took out one suitcase with essentials (clothes, toilets etc.) and headed out to my AirBnB destination.

My AirBnB host was a Turkish guy, who has 3 bedroom apartment about 10 minutes walk from Woodside LIRR station. He rents the second bedroom to another Turkish guy and uses the third bedroom for AirBnB. I had one-bedroom to myself and had to share a bathroom with the other tenant. Both of these guys were clean and friendly, so I have had a great experience staying there.

July 29th though July 31st were spent meeting with brokers and looking at various apartments in Woodside. I saw many apartments that weren't as advertised regarding their condition, location, and/or price. Still, I ended up with two solid choices. One was a modern high raise studio, which was about 10 minutes walk from LIRR Woodside station and Roosevelt Avenue. The other was a one-bedroom pre-war CO OP, which was a half-block away from Rosevelt Avenue and 5 minutes walk from LIRR Woodside station. I settled on the Co Op because of its great condition, extra space, and location. Plus, the CO-OP had no broker fee attached. I still had to pay 1/3 of the typical broker fee to the two supers who introduced me to the CO-OP landlord though.

The CO-OP paperwork was a major challenge. It was very comprehensive and time consuming. Thankfully, I had most of my paperwork ready to go thanks to this forum. : ) Still, it took almost two weeks before I was able to move in to my new place on August 12th, so I had to extend my AirBnB stay until then. Thankfully, my AirBnB host was gracious and accommodating. I basically paid him every 4-5 days.

Overall, I like living in Woodside. There is a lot of great and cheap food. I can be in Central Park in 30 minutes, which is a major plus since I am an avid jogger. I live within 5 minutes walk from 7 train, R train, and LIRR station and about 10 minutes walk from Rosevelt Avenue-Jackson's Hights Station, which gives me access to E and F trains. Since I am half-block away from Roosevelt Avenue, I have plenty of options regarding grocery shops, restaurants, bars, barbers etc. The car feels unnecessary here.

It takes me an hour to get to work (door to door), but the commute is surprisingly easy. I get to LIRR train station a minute or two before the train arrives. The train is uncrowded with plenty of empty seats, so I can read, game, sleep whatever. I hop-off from the train at Port Washington where the company shuttle picks me up and drives me to the office.

In short, the move went pretty smoothly thanks to planning and tips from this forum, and I am pretty happy with my new home. : )
Thanks for the awesome and comprehensive summary. Glad it all worked out!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 PM

751 posts, read 269,887 times
Thanks for the update SwiftSweeper! Great to hear you're enjoying New York!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:25 PM

5,704 posts, read 5,161,885 times
Thanks for updating us! Very few return to actually do that. I'm glad it all worked out and you seem to be happy with everything

Old 01-29-2018, 08:52 PM

19,159 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Quote:

I gave Reps.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-30-2018, 03:32 PM

1,785 posts, read 758,919 times
Quote:

Nice to hear from you & thanks for the update. Glad things worked out for you and that you're happy where you're at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or