Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:57 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
Yeah, I am planning to start making calls tomorrow. I would like to avoid brokers if possible though.
Well that's wishful thinking. That means you need to start looking at houses then where the owner rents out part of the place. Most management companies don't have time to be bothered and just hire a broker to do the leg work unless they're really small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 PM

19 posts, read 15,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well that's wishful thinking. That means you need to start looking at houses then where the owner rents out part of the place. Most management companies don't have time to be bothered and just hire a broker to do the leg work unless they're really small.
How about getting a shared apartment with roommates? Would it be easier/faster in terms of paperwork?

If everything fails, I can just stay in the hotel past August 1st. The company gave me a nice relocation bonus.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
How about getting a shared apartment with roommates? Would it be easier/faster in terms of paperwork?

If everything fails, I can just stay in the hotel past August 1st. The company gave me a nice relocation bonus.
That is going to vary. Am also thinking that's a lot of change to go through. New city, new neighborhood and roommates? With your budget you can easily afford a nice one bedroom in the outer boroughs. You just need to adjust your expectations. You need to give yourself three weeks for everything to go through from the time you start any paperwork. You should ask what is required in advance from the broker and have it on hand when seeing each apartment. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the place and do your research on the building to make sure it isn't run by some slumlord. Even at $1,900 they exist.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
That is going to vary. Am also thinking that's a lot of change to go through. New city, new neighborhood and roommates? With your budget you can easily afford a nice one bedroom in the outer boroughs. You just need to adjust your expectations. You need to give yourself three weeks for everything to go through from the time you start any paperwork. You should ask what is required in advance from the broker and have it on hand when seeing each apartment. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the place and do your research on the building to make sure it isn't run by some slumlord. Even at $1,900 they exist.
New roommates, new city, new neighborhood are not a problem. I have done that before. Getting an apartment in time, I am worried about now. I really do not want to burn through money by staying in a hotel. I suppose that I can get Airbnb or something. Thanks for the tips!

Old 07-16-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
New roommates, new city, new neighborhood are not a problem. I have done that before. Getting an apartment in time, I am worried about now. I really do not want to burn through money by staying in a hotel. I suppose that I can get Airbnb or something. Thanks for the tips!
Strongly recommend looking tomorrow, making phone calls and planting the seeds.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Strongly recommend looking tomorrow, making phone calls and planting the seeds.
I will definitely do that. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 AM

782 posts, read 527,280 times
Quote:
Manhattan is very tempting. I love going to bars/clubs. I also love museums and good food. Plus, I am an avid outside jogger, so an access to Central Park would be great! Yeah, roommates are fine. The commute will be longer than Woodside but not by much if I live within walking distance from Penn. Another benefit is that it is the last stop for LIRR, so I can get a nice seat right away and do not need to wait for the train to arrive, which will be even better during the winter.

I realize that the rent and restaurants/bars will be more expensive in Manhattan than Woodside. What about groceries? Are they also more expensive in Manhattan than Woodside?

How do people shop for groceries in urban areas of NYC in general?

Are there corner grocery stores everywhere? On thing that I like about owning a car is easy grocery shopping.

Are there good neighborhoods within walking distance from Penn Station? My rental budget is $1900.

Five minutes and under walking distance would be ideal, but I can go up to 10 min walking distance.
Yes, groceries are generally more expensive in Manhattan because of the higher commercial rents. But by how much depends on the specific Manhattan neighborhood and your lifestyle. I don't think there's a huge difference when shopping at the typical chain supermarkets or pharmacies in either area. But you also have some cheaper options in Woodside like ethnic markets. While in Manhattan, you have more expensive options like Whole Foods and gourmet stores. Either way, you won't have trouble buying groceries without a car in these dense NYC neighborhoods. There are plenty within walking distance. Some people also utilize grocery delivery services like FreshDirect.

The blocks immediately surrounding Penn Station are quite congested as Penn Station is a major transit hub (in addition to the LIRR, the NJ Transit and Amtrak stop there, also multiple subway lines). Mostly offices and commercial buildings in the area. But there are residential buildings here and there and they're more quiet than you might think once inside. I would just look at everything within walking distance. You would be looking at roommate situations so you probably have to go by what's available and can't be too selective. If you were able to stretch the walk beyond 10 minutes, then there are the luxury developments in Hudson Yards to the west, bars and restaurants in Chelsea to the south, and a post-college vibe in Murray Hill to the east.

I see from your other posts that you're hoping to find an apartment quickly, but it seems overly rushed to me. If you can, I would suggest subletting somewhere for a month or so and explore these neighborhoods in person. Maybe do an Airbnb in Woodside or something. You would get a sense as to the actual commute and see how that feels. Each neighborhood has a different vibe so it's hard to say what might be best for your situation.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
As far as moving process, I am planning to use Uhaul truck. I only have one room worth of stuff, and Uhaul gives one month of free storage, so it should not be too bad.

I will leave for NY on Monday 24th and arrive on Tuesday 25th at a hotel. This gives me about 6 days to find a place since I have to report to work on August 1st. I know that I will not get the best deal/location in such short timeframe, but I think that I should be able to find something.

Ideally, I want to have a few places lined up before I leave.

What are good websites for apartment hunting in NYC? I do not want to pay a broker fee. I know about Naked Apartments and Street Easy. Any others?

What are good websites for finding roommates? I know that there is Craigslist, but I am hoping for better options.
Nit likely you will get a place by then. I'm just being real & honest with you. Take it for what it is.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:07 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
While it's 100% possible to get an apartment in NYC, it's not likely, especially considering that you're not terribly familiar witgh neighborhoods, etc. I saw my apartment on a Saturday and signed my lease on Monday. This is a private landlord in Astoria, and was through a broker.

The suggestion to sublet somewhere or Airbnb for a month is a good one.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 PM

572 posts, read 1,684,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
While it's 100% possible to get an apartment in NYC, it's not likely, especially considering that you're not terribly familiar witgh neighborhoods, etc. I saw my apartment on a Saturday and signed my lease on Monday. This is a private landlord in Astoria, and was through a broker.

The suggestion to sublet somewhere or Airbnb for a month is a good one.
This. As much as they suck, and they charge outrageous fees, your first time around, you may have to navigate with a broker. It can be done without, but it's tricky. Assuming your credit is in good shape, be prepared to have 3 months rent upfront, ready to go when you look at it. Landlords won't wait for you to go get the money, or come up with it. Have it there, ready to go.

Street Easy, PadMapper, Craigslist....is roommate.com still around? It's been quite some time since I've lived in a roommate situation, so I may be a little rusty.

As Liz stated, Airbnb may be a good option too. Some hosts will do longer-term rentals. We we relocated to Phoenix, we stayed in an Airbnb for the first month and it worked quite well for us. Make sure everything is in writing, and you go look at the place first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City