U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 AM

19 posts, read 8,885 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I am moving to NYC in 2.5 weeks for a job in Port Washington. I would love to stay in the city, so I can enjoy NYC on weekends and after work. I would prefer to live near subway and close to or in Manhattan. I am a single guy, so roommates are okay.

Astoria, Queens looks good, but 90 minutes public transit commute to Port Washington seems long. The commute is much better by car (around 30 minutes), but I am not sure if I should be bringing my car due to parking costs and availability. I do not mind driving to work, but I would prefer to not drive on weekends/after work.

What neighborhoods should I be looking at?
Should I bring my car to commute to Port Washington if I want to live in the city?
If I bring my car, what are my parking options and what is a typical monthly cost?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 02:41 AM

246 posts, read 196,143 times
Maybe Woodside? There is LIRR stop that will get you to Port Washington.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 AM

246 posts, read 196,143 times
Also, we pay $150 to park our car behind someone's house. Indoor garage parking is $200-$250+ in Queens.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 AM

30,312 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
Maybe Woodside? There is LIRR stop that will get you to Port Washington.
Agreed! The OP should look along the LIRR route to Port Washington. I am not sure if Woodside is the only Queens station along the Port Washington LIRR line. Sunnyside which is next to Woodside would probably be another option. Perhaps also anything along the 7 subway line would make for an easy connection to the LIRR Woodside station to Port Washington.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:35 PM

2,682 posts, read 960,581 times
Woodside, Flushing, Auburndale, Bayside, are all along the Pt. Washington line and all are about 1/2 hour to Penn Station, from where you can get to anything in "the city."

Old 07-13-2017, 04:36 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
Thanks for taking a job most NYers don't want to go that way. Most likely less pay than avg NYC pay. Living in NYC would be big mistake as city tax will hit you for being resident.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Thanks for taking a job most NYers don't want to go that way. Most likely less pay than avg NYC pay. Living in NYC would be big mistake as city tax will hit you for being resident.
You do not know how much I will be earning nor what kind of job I will be doing, but feel free to sit on your high horse.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:40 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,228,603 times
It would help people if you gave us your rental budget. That matters here in NYC & on the Island as well. Otherwise we can't steer you in the right direction. Good luck! That commute will not be fun I will tell you that. But I agree. Look at all the towns along the Port Washington branch of the LIRR. There are some decent choices. But again your options will depend on your budget in any case. The commute from Astoria to Port Washington will never be 30 min. Where ever you looked & found that they did not take into account traffic & all the many constantly ongoing construction projects along your route for driving by car.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
It would help people if you gave us your rental budget. That matters here in NYC & on the Island as well. Otherwise we can't steer you in the right direction. Good luck! That commute will not be fun I will tell you that. But I agree. Look at all the towns along the Port Washington branch of the LIRR. There are some decent choices. But again your options will depend on your budget in any case. The commute from Astoria to Port Washington will never be 30 min. Where ever you looked & found that they did not take into account traffic & all the many constantly ongoing construction projects along your route for driving by car.
I can go up to $1900 for rent, but I really do not want to spend that much. I am fine with roommates, and I do not need a lot of space. I only have one room worth of stuff and no furniture. I do want to have an easy access to subway, LIRR, and proximity to the city, and I want to have my own bedroom.

Regarding Astoria to Port Washington commute time, I just plugged in the addresses to Apple maps. It was 30 minutes to drive from Astoria, Queens to Port Washington. I know that it is probably very rough estimate and might be wrong. Is there a better commute time estimator?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
Also, we pay $150 to park our car behind someone's house. Indoor garage parking is $200-$250+ in Queens.
Thank you for the info. I am leaning towards leaving the car behind at this point. In fact, I would prefer to not own a car if I can make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or