U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 10:24 AM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Dont try to flip anything. You made a statement with no supporting evidence. Where's the proof that NYCHA residents are paying their rent to somebody else? Guess what, it's not there! Which means they are still NYCHA, and you're a fear-monger! I'm just going to start posting whatever I feel like too, just because my Internet bill is paid. It's been fun with you too. Are you and pierrepont related?
Can tell you I'm no Writerdude, and went to an expensive private school abroad. No Ivy School for moi. Am thinking you're confused. Am here to tell you that NYWriterDude seems to have ambitions to push out poor people with such threads and rhetoric. Meanwhile can not help but wonder if the guy lives in supportive housing himself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:30 AM

1,975 posts, read 1,234,875 times
Quote:
Dont try to flip anything. You made a statement with no supporting evidence. Where's the proof that NYCHA residents are paying their rent to somebody else? Guess what, it's not there! Which means they are still NYCHA, and you're a fear-monger! I'm just going to start posting whatever I feel like too, just because my Internet bill is paid. It's been fun with you too. Are you and pierrepont related?
I don't know why NyWriterdude is trolling you, but I think he is talking about HUD’s Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) program.

Quote:
Ocean Bay (Bayside) is NYC’s first project under the RAD program and could set the tone for wider adoption of the model across the city. Through RAD, NYCHA was able to secure $560 million in financing from federal, state, city and private investors.

There’s also the optics of NYCHA, the nation’s largest public housing authority, giving up some of its public housing units. Out of 1.2 million households in public housing nationwide, NYCHA houses more than 169,000. That’s more than the next 16 public housing authorities combined. The symbolism is meaningful, but so is having a decent place to live.

HUD requires units converted under RAD to remain permanently under a project-based Section 8 contract.
Tenant rents are set at 30 percent of monthly income, same as public housing, so most do not see rents increase after conversion. But beyond that, local housing authorities have flexibility to decide the ownership structure for the new Section 8 project-based units. They could hand over developments entirely to private ownership, while requiring those units to remain under a Section 8 contract. But it’s the conversion into a new ownership structure with a project-based Section 8 contract that creates the conditions under which the development is more attractive for private capital to finance.
NYC Is Testing Public-Private Housing Partnership With HUD Program

Old 07-14-2017, 02:08 PM

20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The best thing to ever happen to NYCHA residents would be for the city to deed over to them the apartment to sell at their pleasure. Instant poverty reduction program.
Am completely in favor of piloting this where a NYCHA housing project is converted to a co-op for residents who meet certain guidelines and also gives the residents the ability to sell (with a massive initial flip tax).

Old 07-14-2017, 03:27 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Can tell you I'm no Writerdude, and went to an expensive private school abroad. No Ivy School for moi. Am thinking you're confused. Am here to tell you that NYWriterDude seems to have ambitions to push out poor people with such threads and rhetoric. Meanwhile can not help but wonder if the guy lives in supportive housing himself.
No supportive housing here.

Another poster posted greater details on the stakes NYCHA is selling in certain developments.

What's happen is happening and yes poor people have been displaced and I have nothing to do with it. That's the real estate industry.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:31 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I don't know why NyWriterdude is trolling you, but I think he is talking about HUD’s Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) program.

NYC Is Testing Public-Private Housing Partnership With HUD Program
HUD's rental assistance program is only one of example of the partial privatization that's going on. If you read the link you just posted, NYCHA would have the right in this joint venture to entirely sell their stake.

I'm not trolling Seventh at all. It's not ny fault some people fear what is already happening. And truthfully displacement of poor people isn't new. Check out the Moses era and even before. Going into denial about unpleasant truth isn't healthy.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 PM

1,007 posts, read 579,270 times
Quote:
Link?
Look up the RAD program for more information but here is a start

The Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) | National Housing Law Project

Old 07-14-2017, 05:10 PM

1,007 posts, read 579,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Interesting to watch you claim you have humble roots when all you do is bash people with humble roots

Old 07-15-2017, 08:35 AM

2,681 posts, read 3,572,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Public housing works if it is funded properly and people are provided services like job training. Privatizing is not the answer. It will make millions of people homeless. Public housing is the behemoth of affordable housing in New York. Sure there are bad things that happen in Projects but that is the same with non-project parts of the city as well. Overall the vast majority of public housing residents are decent people, and the vast majority of your time in the projects you are safe. That is at least my experience
They should be converted to ML-style developments. One of the main drivers of racial wealth gap is the lack of home ownership. These new affordable housing developments are actually going to cause greater income inequality because they do not provide a pathway to ownership. If more low-income/working class NYers owned their homes there wouldn't be as much displacement nor would displacement be as deter mental since it'd represent an income flow from rich to poor. While people treat gentrification as this great moral evil, the truth is many low-income individuals profited in other cities from their properties being more valuable. NYers miss out because so many rent.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:39 AM

2,681 posts, read 3,572,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Am completely in favor of piloting this where a NYCHA housing project is converted to a co-op for residents who meet certain guidelines and also gives the residents the ability to sell (with a massive initial flip tax).
No flip tax IMHO. Let people have their chance to rise up the income ladder.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:31 AM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Interesting to watch you claim you have humble roots when all you do is bash people with humble roots
*LOL* Am thinking you have humble and *ghetto* confused. Am here to tell you they are not one and the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No supportive housing here.

Another poster posted greater details on the stakes NYCHA is selling in certain developments.

What's happen is happening and yes poor people have been displaced and I have nothing to do with it. That's the real estate industry.
One cannot think that you don't enjoy seeing poor people pushed out, given your need to focus on it incessantly and speculate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or