Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 01:21 PM

23 posts, read 29,719 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have been on the waiting list for Pelham Parkway for about two years and was provided with a new list from NYCHA. Can I get some feedback on these choices? I am mostly concerned about safety.
Which one would you pick given a choice? Thank you so much, safety is my biggest concern because I have a 19 year old.

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

BK

GRAVESEND

CYPRESS HILLS
CONEY ISLAND
GLENWOOD
SETH LOW
INGERSOLL
FARRAGUT
ALBANY

MANHATTAN
BARUCH
WAGNER
GRANT
LAGUARDIA

SI
BERRY
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:10 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
Listen to me carefully. Consider ONLY the Baruch and Laguardia developments

Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Listen to me carefully. Consider ONLY the Baruch and Laguardia developments
Thank you for your reply, would you be able to provide me with more information about those projects?

I was told that all LES projects were bad, I had been on the waiting list for Baruch before but ended up removing them.

Thanks

Last edited by desperatenycha; 10-12-2016 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 05:45 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatenycha View Post
Thank you for your reply, would you be able to provide me with more information about those projects?

I was told that all LES projects were bad, I had been on the waiting list for Baruch before but ended up removing them.

Thanks
NO. Whoever gave you that information is incorrect. The LES projects have less crime than the ones uptown. Grant & Wagner are horrible. Dangerous. Cab driver was shot in the hand and the suspect ran in the Wagner houses recently. They're being heavily surveiled

Old 10-12-2016, 06:55 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,384 times
I'd pick Ingersoll and Farragut in Brooklyn because they are in Downtown Brooklyn which is very central. Coney Island is nice because of the beach and amusement park nearby obviously. Glenwood is in a nice area of brooklyn as well. Seth Low is one of the numerous projects in Brownsville, I wouldn't pick it if I had a choice, Brownsville is tough but it does have a good shopping area on Pitkin. I almost moved to the nearby Marcus Garvey Village a couple of years back

In terms of Manhattan, I would say Laguardia is the best, and then Baruch. They are both in the LES. I used to live in Jacob Riis which is right next to Baruch and the area is hectic. Laguardia is separated from Baruch, Riis Wald by houston street and is way further down closer to chinatown and the financial district my feeling is that it is lot less crime down in that area vs. up in the alphabet city area where Baruch is. That said both are better than harlem projects I think.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I'd pick Ingersoll and Farragut in Brooklyn because they are in Downtown Brooklyn which is very central. Coney Island is nice because of the beach and amusement park nearby obviously.
Okay, I must object: Coney Island isn't "nice". There's a beach, but the neighborhood is a good hour and a half from midtown Manhattan.

And the projects there and even the neighborhood as a whole has a very high crime rate, one of the highest in the city.
It's gang- and drug-infested.
I wouldn't move there if I had other choices.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatenycha View Post
Hello All,

I have been on the waiting list for Pelham Parkway for about two years and was provided with a new list from NYCHA. Can I get some feedback on these choices? I am mostly concerned about safety.
Which one would you pick given a choice? Thank you so much, safety is my biggest concern because I have a 19 year old.

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

BK

GRAVESEND

CYPRESS HILLS
CONEY ISLAND
GLENWOOD
SETH LOW
INGERSOLL
FARRAGUT
ALBANY

MANHATTAN
BARUCH
WAGNER
GRANT
LAGUARDIA

SI
BERRY
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Your best bet is LaGuardia or Berry. All other NYCHA on your list are already crap or turning into crap.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
NO. Whoever gave you that information is incorrect. The LES projects have less crime than the ones uptown. Grant & Wagner are horrible. Dangerous. Cab driver was shot in the hand and the suspect ran in the Wagner houses recently. They're being heavily surveiled
Thank you, I am happy I get another shot then, I will go with Laguardia

Old 10-12-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Your best bet is LaGuardia or Berry. All other NYCHA on your list are already crap or turning into crap.

Thank you, I am strongly leaning towards LaGuardia, the proximity to Chinatown is what is selling me (cheap groceries etc...)

I am a little tempted by Ingersoll because it is three blocks from my job, how bad is the crime there?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, I must object: Coney Island isn't "nice". There's a beach, but the neighborhood is a good hour and a half from midtown Manhattan.

And the projects there and even the neighborhood as a whole has a very high crime rate, one of the highest in the city.
It's gang- and drug-infested.
I wouldn't move there if I had other choices.
I was tempted by CI due to the beach and park, but agree that it can be scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery