U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 05:11 PM

18,238 posts, read 11,645,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am not a fan, but can tell you due to a combination of laziness and the allure of the coffee shop, it's part of the *look at me I'm in Starbucks* culture.

Guy from our building goes out each morning for his "SB coffee and smoke". So far he has had his behind handed to him by residents of ground floor apartments up and down the street. *LOL* So he now takes a walk around the block to enjoy his morning routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
I have been in Starbucks exactly ONCE and had to be dragged. It was in the Broadway area and I was rewarded with a nice chat with Sian Phillips, whom I have always adored, who was doing a show in the area at the time (Les Liaisons Dangereuses in 2008 I believe.)

I have not been back and I believe neither has Ms. Phillips.

I know how to make a delicious cup of coffee at home.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 AM

820 posts, read 1,444,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have never understood the allure of Starbucks; their coffee is some of the worst dreck I've ever tasted. Over roasted, burnt tasting swill that does a number on my GI system.

Also do not understand people who get up, get dressed (or go in their jammies) to walk a block or so each morning to get a SB coffee. Haven't these people never heard of coffeemakers or coffee pots?

I could not agree more. Personally, I think 7-11 has far superior coffee not to mention it's half the price.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:44 AM

457 posts, read 395,092 times
There's a Starbucks on 2nd Ave and 9th St, so it was only a matter of time. With a Chipotle's on St. Marks, I'm not fussed. IMHO St. Marks Place died a long time ago.

I do go to Starbucks, but never for their coffee (yuck!). It's one the few places I've found that offers a good English Breakfast tea. I also love their Chai Lattes.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:15 PM

987 posts, read 2,173,340 times
Simply another storefront for the "crusties" from Tompkins Sq Park to panhandle in front of....

Old 07-16-2017, 12:18 PM

9,951 posts, read 8,438,330 times
When I find myself in Starbucks, I'm usually getting iced tea. If I want coffee, I usually brew it myself.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:42 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
Simply another storefront for the "crusties" from Tompkins Sq Park to panhandle in front of....
And *druggies*...

Old 07-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post

Or to use the bathroom for any and everything including taking their daily bath.

Remember waiting for ages at the restroom door for Starbucks Astor Place (wasn't my idea, but friends wanted to meet there), at around 9PM.

After about almost an hour (line was stretching through the store), and people banging on door (including manager) some crusty young druggie/homeless came out of the restroom with his kit (towel, toothbrush soap, etc...), and gave us all a "FU" look. The restroom looked like who did it an ran... water everywhere, ever single paper towel used and left wet, etc....

It is the kids who work in SB you wanted to feel sorry for; they have go in and clean up that mess.

They just opened a new "Bean" coffee place in the old Saint Mark's Bookstore space, and it is the same way. You can't get a seat for the people loitering for hours at a table (but not drinking or eating anything), the bathroom waits are off the wall from all the "freebies".

Old 07-20-2017, 04:53 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,622,619 times
Its how history repeats itself. The same people complaining now were the "starbucks" of the 10-20yrs ago to the block they were changing and causing rents to go up.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:28 PM

True story!

Walking up Lexington Avenue a few weeks ago approached the SB on corner of 78th. To my utter amazement coming towards me was this young woman (least I think it was a female) in her jammies, flip flops, toenails separated with pedicure cotton, hair in curlers, and (wait for it) face covered in some sort of green cream (mud mask?). I just about fell out!

My mother or any other female one knows never went beyond the bedroom/bathroom on their "beauty days". That or it was confined to "upstairs" or perhaps a beauty shop. Yet here was this chick strolling down Lexington Avenue in broad daylight (was around 4PM) looking like something out of a horror film.

Girl paid the stares no mind as she opened the door and went into that Starbucks on corner. Would love to have been a fly on the wall when the employees were talking about that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or