U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 744 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a friend who landed a job in lower Manhattan (should be around 200k$/yr combined income with her husband). She has 4 kids, but her sister died a few years ago and she's taking care of her 6 children so they're going to basically be a family of 12.

Rent in nyc is very very expensive, so what's the minimum number of rooms/sqft they can legally live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 05:30 AM

81 posts, read 56,156 times
The minimum is 80 square feet of "livable space" per person with certain exceptions for children under the age of 4..

NYC Rent Guidelines Board Sec. 27-2075 Maximum permitted occupancy
Quote:
Every person occupying an apartment in a class A or class B multiple dwelling or in a tenant-occupied apartment in a one- or two-family dwelling shall have a livable area of not less than eighty square feet. The maximum number of persons who may occupy any such apartment shall be determined by dividing the total livable floor area of the apartment by eighty square feet. For every two persons who may lawfully occupy an apartment, one child under four may also reside therein, except that a child under four is permitted in an apartment lawfully occupied by one person. No residual floor area of less than eighty square feet shall be counted in determining the maximum permitted occupancy for such apartment.

The floor area of a kitchen or kitchenette shall be included in measuring the total liveable floor area of an apartment but the floor area for private halls, foyers, bathrooms or water closets shall be excluded.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:23 AM

280 posts, read 244,932 times
Why is she looking to rent an apartment, rather than a one- or two-family house in an outer borough, or outside the city?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 AM

6,838 posts, read 4,432,081 times
how come your sis's baby daddy didn't take the kids?

She should buy a house in NJ, LI or upstate NY. An apartment is out of the question with 10 kids + 2 adults or 1 if your friend is doing it all by herself.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:01 PM

18,286 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilers View Post
Hello, I have a friend who landed a job in lower Manhattan (should be around 200k$/yr combined income with her husband). She has 4 kids, but her sister died a few years ago and she's taking care of her 6 children so they're going to basically be a family of 12.

Rent in nyc is very very expensive, so what's the minimum number of rooms/sqft they can legally live in?

You can just forget right now renting an "apartment". By code and custom there aren't many apartments if Manhattan (or NYC for that matter) with enough square footage for twelve people. Maybe some duplex, triplex or loft apartments but you'll be paying $$$$ per month in rent assuming such a place could even be found.

For a household that size you'll need an actual *HOUSE*. Townhouse, private home, mansion, etc.... but they are the only properties that will provide enough square footage for that many people living under one roof. In case you were thinking about it; if you did manage to find an apartment and cram that many people inside if the city finds out; both LL and or yourselves could be in a world of trouble. Department of Buildings can (and likely) would cite for violating occupancy...

What persons have done to house that many people is rent multiple apartments in same building. This is possible depending upon financial and credit situation, but would be very expensive. For twelve people you'd need something like three or more three bedroom apartments (good luck with that), or even more two or one bedroom units.

Seriously just think about renting an entire building, remain where you are, or reduce the household size to something less than the Duggar family size.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:16 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,116,586 times
I doubt you will find a house to rent with that many people. Most landlords won't do it.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 744 times
Thanks for the help everyone. The reason my friend asked me is because I lived in NYC when I was younger, though I don't remember much which is why I asked here.

If anybody's is curious (or has a similar issue), they're going to be renting a 5BR unit in a multi-family home in Ridgewood, Queens for about 3.6K/mo and the landlord has agreed to rent as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or