U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:56 AM

45 posts, read 31,461 times

Advertisements

I see well then I'll look more into sublets and stuff then I'm sure there are tons of sites I can look them up on thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 11:10 AM

1,073 posts, read 493,734 times
Make the move. You have so many restaurant jobs to choose from. Working long hours (12 hour shifts for 6 days p/w) at the right job, you can bathe in money. If that doesn't work out, we have an extensive shelter system plus a vast subway with free accommodation. Bonne chance!

Old 07-15-2017, 04:45 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,794,302 times
Plenty of people - two friends - share a one bedroom. Often a fake wall, or other divider, is put up to separate and "create" a sort of bedroom in the living room.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:35 PM

7,549 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Plenty of people - two friends - share a one bedroom. Often a fake wall, or other divider, is put up to separate and "create" a sort of bedroom in the living room.
Wouldn't know of such an arrangement. Never *shared* an apartment. Always had my own. Am wondering if you could elaborate on how it would work in the OP's case? Am not sure either would have enough for the 40x rule, but maybe they would with combined income. In the cases you described, does the landlord know of such arrangement?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:41 PM

343 posts, read 145,657 times
Its surprising how many posters here have never rented a room.

My two cents: the original poster is going to need to rent a room. Since they do not have any jobs or income in NYC they will have to find a room rental on Craigslist that is only going to accept cash payments. This type of rental is a cash only and no contract situation. It is usually a family owned apartment and it is under rental control, they are probably bending the law having you live there and you are their cash cow. No it is not the most stable rental situation but it is a risk you will have to take given the situation you described. Then again a lot of families renting rooms that way are very nice people and do not want to screw anybody over they just need the extra cash.

These are some neighborhoods to consider: try Bushwick in Brooklyn. Jackson Heights in Queens. Washington Heights in uptown Manhattan. Plan on spending $800 minimum per month for rent plus another $100 for utilities.

Have your resume ready for a quick restaurant job at Craigslist. Go for the jobs that say "open call" where they are hiring many people quickly for all positions. Interview every day at these open calls until you get hired.

You are going to be working long hours and still be on government assistance plans like food stamps.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Wouldn't know of such an arrangement. Never *shared* an apartment. Always had my own. Am wondering if you could elaborate on how it would work in the OP's case? Am not sure either would have enough for the 40x rule, but maybe they would with combined income. In the cases you described, does the landlord know of such arrangement?
20-somethings do this all the time.
I would imagine that they would need to earn 40X the rent between them (depending on the landlord of course).
I think an apartment in a house, like if the owner lives downstairs which do exist in some neighborhoods in NY - these landlords wouldn't necessarily care about the "40 X rule", as long as you can pay the rent.

Otherwise, you can try to find a guarantor (parents, etc.)

In any case, plenty of 20-somethings share a one bedroom, and one person sleeps in the living room.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of this before.
(This is NYC after all)

Old 07-15-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
In addition, the landlord doesn't necessarily need to know of "such an arrangement".

When I rented a 1 bedroom, after a year my boyfriend moved in. (We got married a few years later)
We were 2 people sharing a one bedroom, and in fact, the landlord never officially "knew" that my boyfriend/husband was also living in the apartment, and there was no need for him to know. At the same time, if he had known, he wouldn't have cared.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
20-somethings do this all the time.
I would imagine that they would need to earn 40X the rent between them (depending on the landlord of course).
I think an apartment in a house, like if the owner lives downstairs which do exist in some neighborhoods in NY - these landlords wouldn't necessarily care about the "40 X rule", as long as you can pay the rent.

Otherwise, you can try to find a guarantor (parents, etc.)

In any case, plenty of 20-somethings share a one bedroom, and one person sleeps in the living room.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of this before.
(This is NYC after all)
Knew of the *roommate* situation, but never knew of the whole sharing of a one bedroom.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Knew of the *roommate* situation, but never knew of the whole sharing of a one bedroom.
This is NYC. Apartments are expensive. There is a whole "fake wall" industry, where decorators will come in an install one (or more) fake walls to make a 1 bedroom a 2 bedroom, a 2 bedroom a 3 bedroom, etc.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
This is NYC. Apartments are expensive. There is a whole "fake wall" industry, where decorators will come in an install one (or more) fake walls to make a 1 bedroom a 2 bedroom, a 2 bedroom a 3 bedroom, etc.
Am not that stupid. Am just not understanding how grown people can live in such conditions. It's ridiculous. You have *NO* privacy. It's one thing to have a room with a door. Have seen such a setup plenty of times. It's another to build a faux wall. Guess that means no boyfriend or girlfriend over because you can hear *EVERYTHING*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City