U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,799,187 times

Advertisements

I know someone who lived with her 3 (teenage and young adult) children in a 1 bedroom apartment. She separated the bedroom into two, and two people lived in each bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:54 PM

7,577 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
In addition, the landlord doesn't necessarily need to know of "such an arrangement".

When I rented a 1 bedroom, after a year my boyfriend moved in. (We got married a few years later)
We were 2 people sharing a one bedroom, and in fact, the landlord never officially "knew" that my boyfriend/husband was also living in the apartment, and there was no need for him to know. At the same time, if he had known, he wouldn't have cared.
In such a case, boyfriend was not on the lease. Am wondering how you could say landlord wouldn't have cared as if you can just have anyone move in that isn't on the lease.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:26 PM

343 posts, read 145,929 times
I have not seen fake walls yet. Why would an owner do that? Its like taking a legit apartment and making it physically illegal in a way that the city would want to investigate it and send it to court.

I have seen rentals where they just put up a room divider for seperating the kitchen and family room and making the living room a rentable separate living space with limited privacy.

I'd just rent a room and get a job and hold the job for at least a few months and then try getting your own apartment. Its possible after several months you decide NY is not for you.

Or just rent your own apartment, somehow. Its definately possibly in your price range to rent a place that has "issues" of some kind and the landlord knows you are from out of town and will take you for a little ride.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:55 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,864,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_New_Yorker123 View Post
So I just spent a nice three day vacation in New York and I am absolutely in love with everything about the city and I absolutely have to make the move. Me and a friend of mine are aiming for the end of the year/beginning of the next because it seems like the winter months are the better times to rent. My friend has a friend that stays in Washington heights and I have friends in Brooklyn and Harlem as well so before we'd actually get our own place we have three other places we'd be able to stay at for almost no cost. My only real question is what would be good areas to look for apartments in my three days I spent a lot of time in Harlem so that was my number one choice. Also spent some tkme in Dumbo Brooklyn and was in lower manhattan a lot but I feel like those places are much more expensive. My friend says we should look in areas like Harlem Inwood and Washington heights. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
It's a nice block, plus you'll be a block away from Pelham Bay Park, and a block from Westchester Avenue.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:14 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,284,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Wouldn't know of such an arrangement. Never *shared* an apartment. Always had my own. Am wondering if you could elaborate on how it would work in the OP's case? Am not sure either would have enough for the 40x rule, but maybe they would with combined income. In the cases you described, does the landlord know of such arrangement?
Dude. Multiple people sharing a 1 bedroom and even studios, is one of the reasons that rents are as high as they are in NYC.

Do landlords care? What kind of question is that. Landlords care, first and foremost, about receiving the highest rent possible. Everything else is of a secondary concern.

Honestly, your ignorance regarding this issue is astounding.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Dude. Multiple people sharing a 1 bedroom and even studios, is one of the reasons that rents are as high as they are in NYC.

Do landlords care? What kind of question is that. Landlords care, first and foremost, about receiving the highest rent possible.

Honestly, your ignorance regarding this issue is astounding.
A very good one. If one person is on the lease and several other people are living there well that could be a problem. As was noted, it is basically an illegal apartment. Can't believe people are *that* desperate to live here. If you have to do all of that should move somewhere cheaper. Roommates I can understand. Splitting bedrooms into two...

Old 07-15-2017, 10:32 PM

2,922 posts, read 1,191,154 times
some things to consider.

best time to move? more apartments available, july and august, since school is in summer recess, families tend to move out.

2 bedroom apartments are not easy to come by. you are looking at harlem for a move? 1 bedroom will set you back $2200 at the least. look into the outer boros, queens, brooklyn, bronx.

that 40x rent rule is not for every where, but more as a standard.

2 guys in a 1 bedroom is possible/legal. you will be losing the livingroom.

1 bedroom apartments vary in the outer boro, $1500- $1700 an 2 bedrooms $1800 - $2200 per month.

outer boro to the city is only a 15 to 30 minute train/bus ride.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
A very good one. If one person is on the lease and several other people are living there well that could be a problem. As was noted, it is basically an illegal apartment. Can't believe people are *that* desperate to live here. If you have to do all of that should move somewhere cheaper. Roommates I can understand. Splitting bedrooms into two...
Illegal apartments? According to whom? It's not illegal for 2 people to share a 1 bedroom. Nor 3 or 4.

The NYT even wrote an entire ****ing article celebrating this "creativity" with multiple examples and exact addresses.

Quote:
Roommates Divide and Conquer With Temporary Walls

When four young professionals share a one-bedroom, one-bath apartment, a strategy for the morning routine is a necessity.
Katherine Neal, who works in sales, and Annie Jackson, who works in public relations, take the first shifts in the bathroom. Ms. Neal gets in there at 6:45 a.m. and has 15 minutes before it’s Ms. Jackson’s turn. By the time Ms. Jackson finishes up, their male roommates, Michael Morgan, who works in advertising, and Andrew Bell, also in sales, are back from the gym in the building.

“It’s like living in a dorm,” Ms. Jackson, 26, said of her financial district rental. And that goes beyond the coed bathroom. Ms. Jackson and Ms. Neal sleep in twin beds in the bedroom, and share a vanity and a bench when they get ready in the morning, to avoid hogging the bathroom.

For the male roommates, the group installed a T-shaped wall in the living room, dividing it into two bedrooms, leaving space for a kitchen table in a common area. Mr. Morgan and Mr. Bell have hardly any privacy; building regulations require the bedroom walls to stop about two feet shy of the ceiling. “You can hear everything,” Ms. Jackson said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/r...l?mcubz=2&_r=0

Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Illegal apartments? According to whom? It's not illegal for 2 people to share a 1 bedroom. Nor 3 or 4.

The NYT even wrote an entire ****ing article celebrating this "creativity" with multiple examples and exact addresses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/r...l?mcubz=2&_r=0
If the apartment is a one bedroom made into a two bedroom, am not sure what is *LEGAL* about that. In article shared, as I thought, there is NO privacy. If done that way then yes, it's legal. Am certain few follow the letter to a t or whatever, making such places illegal.

Cannot fathom what idiots would live this way, hence my surprise.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
If the apartment is a one bedroom made into a two bedroom, am not sure what is *LEGAL* about that. In article shared, as I thought, there is NO privacy. If done that way then yes, it's legal. Am certain few follow the letter to a t or whatever, making such places illegal.

Cannot fathom what idiots would live this way, hence my surprise.
Dude. I just presented to you an article that the NYT ran that presents multiple examples of what you deem illegal. Furthermore, it was presented in a positive light.

The city doesn't seem to give a ****. Meaning it's either not illegal or the law in this case is worth ****. Either way, it doesn't matter. This is the norm in NYC and it's a major reason why rents are they way they are.

One bedrooms are now catering to 3 or 4 income households. When you look at it that way, rents don't seem outrageous at all. Rents seem in line with what the market will bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City