U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:09 AM

45 posts, read 31,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
some things to consider.

best time to move? more apartments available, july and august, since school is in summer recess, families tend to move out.

2 bedroom apartments are not easy to come by. you are looking at harlem for a move? 1 bedroom will set you back $2200 at the least. look into the outer boros, queens, brooklyn, bronx.

that 40x rent rule is not for every where, but more as a standard.

2 guys in a 1 bedroom is possible/legal. you will be losing the livingroom.

1 bedroom apartments vary in the outer boro, $1500- $1700 an 2 bedrooms $1800 - $2200 per month.

outer boro to the city is only a 15 to 30 minute train/bus ride.
Yes I have been looking at best times to move for sure from what I've seen it seems the winter is the best but I am unsure. Also I was a fan of the areas of Brooklyn I visited what would be some of the affordable neighborhoods in Brooklyn I should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Exactly, my boyfriend/husband wasn't on the lease. I don't see why the landlord would have cared.
In addition, everyone knew my boyfriend was living there. Including the super, who knew us and came to fix a things on occasion.
In fact, after we got married, I likely mentioned "my husband" to the landlord a few times. But he never cared that my husband "wasn't on the lease."
Am thinking you were lucky. Can tell you that some landlords do care.

3,502 posts, read 1,792,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Dude. Multiple people sharing a 1 bedroom and even studios, is one of the reasons that rents are as high as they are in NYC.

Do landlords care? What kind of question is that. Landlords care, first and foremost, about receiving the highest rent possible. Everything else is of a secondary concern.

Honestly, your ignorance regarding this issue is astounding.
Exactly.
It is shocking to me that someone living in NYC for a while would be ignorant of these kind of arrangements.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:11 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,792,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
A very good one. If one person is on the lease and several other people are living there well that could be a problem. As was noted, it is basically an illegal apartment. Can't believe people are *that* desperate to live here. If you have to do all of that should move somewhere cheaper. Roommates I can understand. Splitting bedrooms into two...
This happens ALL the time in NYC.
Where do you live that you are not aware of this?
NYC is a very expensive and overcrowded city.
There is a family of 4 living in the 1 bedroom apartment next door to my apartment. They have been living there for years, raising two kids there.
For a while, I believe they may have had even another family (from their country of origin) staying with them. (oy)

Old 07-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Exactly.
It is shocking to me that someone living in NYC for a while would be ignorant of these kind of arrangements.
Have various friends living in NYC and none of them live in such conditions. If had friends who were poor or whatever, suppose I could imagine such conditions.

Quote:
This happens ALL the time in NYC.
Where do you live that you are not aware of this?
NYC is a very expensive and overcrowded city.
There is a family of 4 living in the 1 bedroom apartment next door to my apartment. They have been living there for years, raising two kids there.
For a while, I believe they may have had even another family (from their country of origin) staying with them. (oy)
In an area where such things aren't allowed. The roommate thing is fine, but splitting up rooms... Not so common. Financials are scrutinized, which allows the area not to go down the drain.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 AM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
Have various friends living in NYC and none of them live in such conditions. If had friends who were poor or whatever, suppose I could imagine such conditions.
That's funny. The people I know who live in such arrangement are not at all poor. In fact, they are mostly young, highly ambitious and accomplished, new grads of high caliber universities starting off in their first jobs in NYC, and want to live in the best parts of Manhattan so they can enjoy the night life and have quick commutes to their jobs where they may be pulling 80 hour weeks.

Even though they may have landed a great job and a great starting salary, it's still not enough to pay the $4000 a month for a one bedroom in the area they might prefer. ($4000 a month rent would require $160K in salary). So they do what the guys in the aforementioned NY Times article are doing in the Financial district.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's funny. The people I know who live in such arrangement are not at all poor. In fact, they are mostly young, highly ambitious and accomplished, new grads of high caliber universities starting off in their first jobs in NYC, and want to live in the best parts of Manhattan so they can enjoy the night life and have quick commutes to their jobs where they may be pulling 80 hour weeks.

Even though they may have landed a great job and a great starting salary, it's still not enough to pay the $4000 a month for a one bedroom in the area they might prefer. ($4000 a month rent would require $160K in salary). So they do what the guys in the aforementioned NY Times article are doing in the Financial district.
Perhaps standards are too high for some, but have never shared an apartment, even when in college. Stayed with a friend for a few months or so while taking care of some things for college, but after that, when returning to school, had my own apartment. Have been living on my own for years, and could not imagine rommates, let alone splitting a room. These people seem desparate to live in a certain area and do anything to do so. Am here to say that there is nothing wrong with commuting. Live in Manhattan part-time and outside of Manhattan, and can tell you the commute is only slightly longer than when in Manhattan. Have various friends that live in Manhattan and can say that it is overrated. Can take longer commuting in Manhattan than outside of it.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 AM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
have never shared an apartment, even when in college.
So what. Your priorities are different. I just outlined above the circumstances of the people who take small roommate situations in order to live in Manhattan. Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean their reasoning and choices are not valid and appropriate for their ambitions and needs/desires.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
I have a coworker who lives in a one bedroom apartment with her husband and two kids.

I also had a friend who lived in a one bedroom apartment with her parents and brother. Honestly, I had been to their apartment before and since it was clean and they didn't have a lot of stuff, I don't think you'd know four people even lived in there.

I actually used to have a one bedroom apartment where the living room also had a door---really, it looked like the apartment had been built to use both rooms possibly as bedrooms. The rooms were big.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So what. Your priorities are different. I just outlined above the circumstances of the people who take small roommate situations in order to live in Manhattan. Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean their reasoning and choices are not valid and appropriate for their ambitions and needs/desires.
Not about understanding. Am saying if one gets over the *I have to live Manhattan* BS, can live comfortably. Am here to say there is nothing glamorous about shacking up with strangers with *NO* privacy in your 30's or even 40's. Pathetic. Must be transplants doing this nonsense. Native New Yorkers only do such things when they have no choice. This is why the natives can't stand the transplants. They do stupid things like this, jacking up the rents for everybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City