U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 AM
 
3,511 posts, read 1,820,428 times
Reputation: 1644

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Dude. I just presented to you an article that the NYT ran that presents multiple examples of what you deem illegal. Furthermore, it was presented in a positive light.

The city doesn't seem to give a ****. Meaning it's either not illegal or the law in this case is worth ****. Either way, it doesn't matter. This is the norm in NYC and it's a major reason why rents are they way they are.

One bedrooms are now catering to 3 or 4 income households. When you look at it that way, rents don't seem outrageous at all. Rents seem in line with what the market will bear.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2017, 09:40 AM
 
3,511 posts, read 1,820,428 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I agree. Can you forward me all the instances you can find of NYC DOB enforcing the laws?

I'm telling you that the city doesn't care in most instances. Especially when the landlord is politically connected or large enough.

The City knows there's a housing shortage on NYC so it is not in their interest to enforce the law in this case.
For sure.

This is so silly.
Did you know that NYCHA, a CITY agency, when placing families in public housing has a standard that they will put a family of 2 in a 1 bedroom apartment, a family of 3 in a 2 bedroom apartment, etc.
They expect that one family member will sleep in the living room.
If it is a mother and 1 child, for example, they will NEVER assign that family to a 2 bedroom apartment (only a 1 bedroom apartment).

There is a housing shortage in NYC! I can't believe that some people are not aware of that...

Last edited by Shoshanarose; 07-16-2017 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 AM
 
3,511 posts, read 1,820,428 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am thinking you were lucky. Can tell you that some landlords do care.
This is so silly: "lucky".
First of all, once we were married I had every right to have my husband living with me.
You are allowed by law to have a family member come and live with you in a rental.

In addition: do you think that no one ever moves in with their boyfriend or girlfriend in NYC? You seem very naive.

As for "lucky": why would my landlord be angry that a boyfriend is moving in? I/we were probably his best tenants, with the most stable jobs, and my rent was never once late. Also, if the landlord ever wanted to try to gentrify the building, I was his best bet (I am one of the few native born Americans in the building, it's mostly immigrants, plus I have a professional job - also not that common in the building.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 09:48 AM
 
3,511 posts, read 1,820,428 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Have various friends living in NYC and none of them live in such conditions. If had friends who were poor or whatever, suppose I could imagine such conditions.

In an area where such things aren't allowed. The roommate thing is fine, but splitting up rooms... Not so common. Financials are scrutinized, which allows the area not to go down the drain.
Where exactly do you live in NYC that this kind of thing doesn't go on.

For sure "poor" and working class people live like this.
But so do many many college-educated 20-somethings with entry-level professional jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM
 
3,511 posts, read 1,820,428 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's funny. The people I know who live in such arrangement are not at all poor. In fact, they are mostly young, highly ambitious and accomplished, new grads of high caliber universities starting off in their first jobs in NYC, and want to live in the best parts of Manhattan so they can enjoy the night life and have quick commutes to their jobs where they may be pulling 80 hour weeks.

Even though they may have landed a great job and a great starting salary, it's still not enough to pay the $4000 a month for a one bedroom in the area they might prefer. ($4000 a month rent would require $160K in salary). So they do what the guys in the aforementioned NY Times article are doing in the Financial district.
Yes, this happens all the time. Many new grads want to live in Manhattan for socialization reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 09:52 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,598 posts, read 2,733,871 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
This is so silly: "lucky".
First of all, once we were married I had every right to have my husband living with me.
You are allowed by law to have a family member come and live with you in a rental.

In addition: do you think that no one ever moves in with their boyfriend or girlfriend in NYC? You seem very naive.

As for "lucky": why would my landlord be angry that a boyfriend is moving in? I/we were probably his best tenants, with the most stable jobs, and my rent was never once late. Also, if the landlord ever wanted to try to gentrify the building, I was his best bet (I am one of the few native born Americans in the building, it's mostly immigrants, plus I have a professional job - also not that common in the building.)
Have always heard that technically only the person who is on the lease can live there. One can have *guests* or whatever, but depending on the lease, may only be allowed to stay for a certain period of time. Of course people move their boyfriend or girlfriend in. Never said it was uncommon. Doesn't mean some landlords don't enforce the above. It depends on the landlord. In your case, can understand why he wouldn't. I don't live in such a situation, and the lease IS enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:00 AM
 
10,654 posts, read 20,812,029 times
Reputation: 8192
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not about understanding. Am saying if one gets over the *I have to live Manhattan* BS, can live comfortably. Am here to say there is nothing glamorous about shacking up with strangers with *NO* privacy in your 30's or even 40's. Pathetic. Must be transplants doing this nonsense. Native New Yorkers only do such things when they have no choice. This is why the natives can't stand the transplants. They do stupid things like this, jacking up the rents for everybody else.
And this may be why you are still renting in an unhip outerborough neighborhood, whereas in 5 to 7 years these new grads from elite schools who have spent their first few years in NYC networking like crazy, going out to every social event they can since their apartment is nearby and it's not time consuming to do so, and working 80 hours a week in their demanding and well-paying entry-level job, are going to own some great apartment in a desirable Manhattan neighborhood, or a townhouse in brownstone Brooklyn.

It's all about perspective. Your perspective is a bit narrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,598 posts, read 2,733,871 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
And this may be why you are still renting in an unhip outerborough neighborhood, whereas in 5 to 7 years these new grads from elite schools who have spent their first few years in NYC networking like crazy, going out to every social event they can since their apartment is nearby and it's not time consuming to do so, and working 80 hours a week in their demanding and well-paying entry-level job, are going to own some great apartment in a desirable Manhattan neighborhood, or a townhouse in brownstone Brooklyn.

It's all about perspective. Your perspective is a bit narrow.
*LOL* Have already said that I live in Manhattan and split my time between Manhattan and an outer borough. I *choose* to live that way and don't miss a thing. Am in Manhattan daily for work or play. Know of all of the good restaurants and frequent them and live in an upper class area. The people working 80 hours are the fools, caring so much about being seen while splitting a room with no privacy. I laugh every time I think about it, and they think that's *cool*. Unbelievable. What has NYC turned into where people move here to shack up with strangers. Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
343 posts, read 147,114 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not about understanding. Am saying if one gets over the *I have to live Manhattan* BS, can live comfortably. Am here to say there is nothing glamorous about shacking up with strangers with *NO* privacy in your 30's or even 40's. Pathetic. Must be transplants doing this nonsense. Native New Yorkers only do such things when they have no choice. This is why the natives can't stand the transplants. They do stupid things like this, jacking up the rents for everybody else.
In these split room situations, how do they find the rooms? Craigslist? Am I missing something here because I do not remember seeing many Craigslist ads for split rooms. About how much do they charge?

I agree it is not privacy. If they are young professionals who party at night, even if they live downtown in a great spot they do not have great logistics for bringing any dates home.

I do not understand your native/transplant argument here. I mean, it is the natives who own the rentals and control who rents and also they control the prices...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,598 posts, read 2,733,871 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
In these split room situations, how do they find the rooms? Craigslist? Am I missing something here because I do not remember seeing many Craigslist ads for split rooms. About how much do they charge?

I agree it is not privacy. If they are young professionals who party at night, even if they live downtown in a great spot they do not have great logistics for bringing any dates home.

I do not understand your native/transplant argument here. I mean, it is the natives who own the rentals and control who rents and also they control the prices...?
Am not sure. Am thinking one person rents the place, then someone comes in and they decide to split the room and split the rent or whatever. Using an example with a one bedroom, if the rent is $1800 split two ways, then it's $900; three ways, it's $600, and so it goes. That is not an environment I want to live in, and I found an area in a building that is very strict about enforcing how many people live there per the lease. It's absurd.

The natives may own, yes, but a lot of the people doing this splitting up nonsense are not natives. They are transplants that think it's *cool*. Cannot imagine having any sex life where you live in a place where all of your personal business is out there. Am wondering how that works??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top