U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:48 PM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I did it when I was a kid. Wouldn't think about it for a second now.
Last time one rode a bus on SI they were still the R110, R102, R1, R107, R7, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 05:52 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Last time one rode a bus on SI they were still the R110, R102, R1, R107, R7, etc...
Oh my! Have been back on the island recently. Place keeps changing. Feels less suburban every time I return.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:42 PM

15,226 posts, read 23,743,496 times
how about the infamous R103 ugh R& to Brooklyn....!!! the memories. Schooldays......

Buses sucks in general. Hyan Blvd back in the 70's bus service was worse, but it moved....as there was not nearly the amount of traffic there is today.

Amboy Rd was sort of the back road to Hylan and you could zoom it, not now.....

Old 07-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
how about the infamous R103 ugh R& to Brooklyn....!!! the memories. Schooldays......

Buses sucks in general. Hyan Blvd back in the 70's bus service was worse, but it moved....as there was not nearly the amount of traffic there is today.

Think everyone who lived on SI back in the day knew the drill. If you were taking the R train and it pulled into Whitehall too late to catch the boat (back then ferry ran every hour on the half hour after 930PM through over night), you had choice; stay on the train and catch the R7 at 86th in Bayridge, or get off and wait for the next boat.

Depending upon where you lived from the R7 route you could be home faster than if waited for that one hour, crossed and then took a bus from the ferry.

If the boat was late pulling into SI side of the ferry there was the mad dash to catch the buses before they left the terminal. IIRC NYCTA (later MTA) would or could only hold the buses for so long because they did have a schedule (yeah right) to keep. If it was late a night/overnight you could be sitting down there for awhile before another bus came. Even when it did the driver discharged passengers, then went on break. Am here to tell you back when NYC really had cold winters this was not fun.

People used walk over to the taxi ramp and just get a cab. That or you called home (pay phones, remember those?) and got someone to come pick you up.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

*LOL*

You mentioned the S103? Scroll down:

S.I. Transportation - Old Staten Island

Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Think everyone who lived on SI back in the day knew the drill. If you were taking the R train and it pulled into Whitehall too late to catch the boat (back then ferry ran every hour on the half hour after 930PM through over night), you had choice; stay on the train and catch the R7 at 86th in Bayridge, or get off and wait for the next boat.

Depending upon where you lived from the R7 route you could be home faster than if waited for that one hour, crossed and then took a bus from the ferry.

If the boat was late pulling into SI side of the ferry there was the mad dash to catch the buses before they left the terminal. IIRC NYCTA (later MTA) would or could only hold the buses for so long because they did have a schedule (yeah right) to keep. If it was late a night/overnight you could be sitting down there for awhile before another bus came. Even when it did the driver discharged passengers, then went on break. Am here to tell you back when NYC really had cold winters this was not fun.

People used walk over to the taxi ramp and just get a cab. That or you called home (pay phones, remember those?) and got someone to come pick you up.

*LOL* Am here to tell you hat the bus terminal hasn't changed that much.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
*LOL* Am here to tell you hat the bus terminal hasn't changed that much.

It was no picnic waiting down at that terminal back in the day or an hour or whatever until the next boat or bus arrived. Cannot imagine doing it today with the heck-hole the ferry terminal has become especially overnight. Again this is why I drive!

Last time took the ferry was when they still allowed cars; it was late and didn't feel like driving plus was giving several people a lift into the city, none of whom knew how to drive.

Know it will never happen but sometimes wish they'd bring car service back to the ferry. There are times you just don't feel like driving through Jersey or Brooklyn and being able to catch a bit of rest.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 PM

Anyone else get a bus pass when in high school on SI?

Back in the day myself and others tore up our bus passes in junior and senior year. We'd take bus to ferry, go into Manhattan, ride subways all over and never got bothered. Coming home reversed and again no one bothered anyone. Occasionally some bus driver would hassle you about it being out of hours, but you'd pull the big sad eyes and say the train/ferry or whatever was late.... and "how am I supposed to get home?".... " I don't have any money..".

Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
The MTA has tried to introduce SBS and Express Bus service but I'm not sure that's made a real change.
Real change....I mean, it affected people in the areas near those routes. The S79 is nice and quick nowadays and is generally fairly reliable. That new HOV lane that runs all the way from Victory Blvd all the way to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (I know it was built in stages) definitely helps bypass traffic.

Within the island, it depends on the exact route and the time of day that you're talking about as to how easy the trip will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Buses never work out best for long trips because they're still at the whims of traffic, even with the special lanes. SI needs more train service, or buses running on dedicated roads.
The S79 seems to run pretty fast, even during rush hour. Matter of fact, I just took it now to get home.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
To be fair, I haven't seen the new HOV in action. I rarely cross the VZ any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or