U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 10:11 AM

7,589 posts, read 2,703,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
But you are like the opposite of Keifr King. You go organic.
Yes. Don't eat the stuff often either so doing organic for such occasions is fine. A favorite is organic BLT's made at home.

Ingredients:

*Organic bacon (Applegate Organics)
*Organic oat bread (WF brand is pretty good)
*Organic mayo or GMO free (Sir Kensington offers excellent versions of both) or *Follow Your Heart* Original Veganaise
*Organic arugula or organic spinach (whichever is available)

And violà. Can put the bacon in the oven until crisp or whatever, then drain. For fries, buy organic potatoes from WF, leave skin on for fiber, clean as needed, cut up and season with good olive oil (Spanish, Greek or California GMO free or organic is great and reasonable), and fresh sea salt, put into oven and roast. Better than french fries that are fried.

Clean up is easy using aluminum foil tins and can clean dishes while waiting for items to cook in oven.

Am here to tell you *that* can't be topped. Also do organic chicken tenders in the oven from Target (Perdue brand is great - girlfriend gets it as a surprise for me or whatever), with some good GMO free BBQ sauce with roasted fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:16 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,643,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Sometimes it isn't even diet or hereditary. Certain types of medicine can unfortunately cause weight gain as well.

There are people of all different shapes and sizes in the world. You can't change it.

Not everyone who is fat is unhealthy just as not everyone who is thin is healthy. I know a woman in her mid-30's, she is 5'3" and around 98, 99lbs or something... her cholesterol is through the roof, she eats like garbage, she doesn't work out... she is unhealthy and her doctor said so and now she has to change her diet.

I'm just saying... I don't think it is right or fair for us to judge people. We don't always know what's going on as an outsider.
The vast majority of the obesity problem in the US population is simply excess calorie consumption (for the level of activity) - often set in motion by well-meaning but misguided parents at a young age. The non-excess calorie consumption reasons, despite apologists, are vanishingly small.

As for judging - that's a different matter. Yes, we absolutely have no idea how any stranger ended up in their situation.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,867,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes. Don't eat the stuff often either so doing organic for such occasions is fine. A favorite is organic BLT's made at home.

Ingredients:

*Organic bacon (Applegate Organics)
*Organic oat bread (WF brand is pretty good)
*Organic mayo or GMO free (Sir Kensington offers excellent versions of both) or *Follow Your Heart* Original Veganaise
*Organic arugula or organic spinach (whichever is available)

And violà. Can put the bacon in the oven until crisp or whatever, then drain. For fries, buy organic potatoes from WF, leave skin on for fiber, clean as needed, cut up and season with good olive oil (Spanish, Greek or California GMO free or organic is great and reasonable), and fresh sea salt, put into oven and roast. Better than french fries that are fried.

Clean up is easy using aluminum foil tins and can clean dishes while waiting for items to cook in oven.

Am here to tell you *that* can't be topped. Also do organic chicken tenders in the oven from Target (Perdue brand is great - girlfriend gets it as a surprise for me or whatever), with some good GMO free BBQ sauce with roasted fries.
That's very good. Sounds like a lot of work. I tried it once. I eat like crap but work out and stay in shape. Best of both worlds.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:07 PM

8,230 posts, read 8,512,384 times
Probably someone has already said this, but obesity is supposedly less in NYC than in the middle of the country.

Wow, that's scary about Coke being cheaper than water.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:11 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,867,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Probably someone has already said this, but obesity is supposedly less in NYC than in the middle of the country.

Wow, that's scary about Coke being cheaper than water.
Beer is cheaper than water in some places.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:43 PM

34 posts, read 17,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
This morning I took a bus ride. The bus was packed and during the ride I noticed there was only one person on the whole bus who was height and weight proportionate. Me. ....

I noticed that there was only one person on the whole bus who was not sweating profusely. Me.
I don't think PO is a troll

I feel the same

any time I am taking a bus ride I am noticing
there is only one person on the whole bus who is fit,
looks nice, smells great and sexy. Me..

Last edited by Bobkins; 07-19-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,569,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkins View Post
I don't think PO is a troll

I feel the same

any time I am taking a bus ride I am noticing
there is only one person on the whole bus who is fit,
looks nice, smell great and sexy. Me..
Delusions of grandeur

Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,286,892 times
OP touched a nerve. lol Even if OP is trolling, he's telling the truth.

Ride on the older subway cars with delineated seating (e.g. D/B line) and you'll see just how many people don't fit in the seat. Yes, it's annoying. Having 250lb+ individuals try to squeeze into seats is not only comical but downright rude as they smoosh commuters on either side. You pay a single fare and are entitled to a single seat. Not 1.5 or 2 seats. Manspreading? Showtime? Eating? How about being a normal size so that more people can fit in subway car or bus.

NYC is slimmer than middle America but I suspect if you remove white yuppies in Manhattan, Downtown Brooklyn, LIC, and Astoria from the equation, NYC is just as fat as middle America.

OP is 100% correct in his assertion and if you deny that then either you're ****ing clueless or are taking it personally because you might have an extra few pounds.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:15 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,569,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
OP touched a nerve. lol Even if OP is trolling, he's telling the truth.

Ride on the older subway cars with delineated seating (e.g. D/B line) and you'll see just how many people don't fit in the seat. Yes, it's annoying. Having 250lb+ individuals try to squeeze into seats is not only comical but downright rude as they smoosh commuters on either side. You pay a single fare and are entitled to a single seat. Not 1.5 or 2 seats. Manspreading? Showtime? Eating? How about being a normal size so that more people can fit in subway car or bus.

NYC is slimmer than middle America but I suspect if you remove white yuppies in Manhattan, Downtown Brooklyn, LIC, and Astoria from the equation, NYC is just as fat as middle America.

OP is 100% correct in his assertion and if you deny that then either you're ****ing clueless or are taking it personally because you might have an extra few pounds.
He's nowhere near being 100% correct. Even in the hood most people aren't fat.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,286,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
He's nowhere near being 100% correct. Even in the hood most people aren't fat.
You're not being serious? Let's move from anectodal evidence to something more concrete.

Quote:
In New York City, obesity is epidemic: more than half of adult New Yorkers are overweight (34%) or obese (22%). Data show that obesity begins early in life: nearly half of all elementary school children and Head Start children are not a healthy weight. In New York City, 1 in 5 kindergarten students, and 1 in 4 Head Start children, is obese.
Obesity

************************************************** *****************************
This just discusses obesity, not those who are overweight (which includes the obese).

Quote:
White - 24.9%
Black - 32.3%
Latino - 30.6%
New York State Obesity Data, Rates and Trends: The State of Obesity

************************************************** *******************************************
From 2009, but I suspect the trends are still similar today.

Quote:
Data Show Manhattan Is Svelte and Bronx Is Chubby, Chubby

More than 62 percent of Bronx residents are overweight or obese, higher than the rate in any of New York City’s other four boroughs, while the comparable figure for Manhattan was just over 42 percent — the lowest of any of New York State’s 62 counties.

The city’s other boroughs had overweight and obesity rates more closely in line with the statewide average of nearly 60 percent: 58.6 percent in Brooklyn, 57.7 percent on Staten Island and 57.6 percent in Queens..
Manhattan’s Overweight Rate Is the Lowest in the State - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or