U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 08:18 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,855,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Sure you can. Most people just won't.
How would you avoid it entirely? Are you suggesting walking 5-6 miles to work or going from one end of Manhattan to the other? I definitely prefer to walk as much as possible, but let's be realistic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:21 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,509,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
How would you avoid it entirely? Are you suggesting walking 5-6 miles to work? I definitely prefer to walk as much as possible, but let's be realistic here.
I'm not suggesting it to other people but I've done it.

Most people won't do it b/c people are looking for cheap, quick and easy but if you've got the time for a nice long walk, why not?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 AM
PDF

Quote:
I'm not suggesting it to other people but I've done it.

Most people won't do it b/c people are looking for cheap, quick and easy but if you've got the time for a nice long walk, why not?
Lol, there is a difference between leisure and insanity.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Lol, there is a difference between leisure and insanity.
To each her own, but I'm pretty fit so rather be insane and fit than sane and fat.

The subway is so expensive if you take it everyday.

I pay $300 to come to the city from Long Island, then to pay monthly subway on top of that is INSANE.

No I don't walk from LI to NYC lol but I wish I could

Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 AM

7,902 posts, read 6,477,538 times
6 miles from Ferry to Museum of Natural History. No sweat. But yeah walking is not always practical depending on where one is going. My running around had me sweating today, but for my errands that didn't matter. Had I been going to a job interview or some such event where being a sweaty mess is frowned upon, I'd have avoided doing so. Lol

Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 AM

9,916 posts, read 7,687,681 times
I walk to work in Manhattan every now and then from Ridgewood. Its the best way to travel if time isn't a constraint, which it certainly is most days. But on a lazy Friday, I'll definitely take a hike across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:00 AM

2,337 posts, read 3,325,176 times
Quote:
I walk everywhere too. Subways suck. People think it is so strange.

Why should I pay to be on a hot, smelly-ass subway when walking is free?

I'm cheap I guess and I also like being fit
Walking everywhere all the time is unrealistic and I am an avid "I like to walk" type of person. I walk home frequently enough (from Midtown to Brooklyn) and pretty much anywhere I'm going within BK on the weekends. However I understand that's not always sensible under many situations like time sensitivity and bad weather. I do whish though, NYC was more bike friendly and less car friendly. If it was I would rarely take the subway.

But walking as free and easy form of exercise is important and there is a point to be made that those overweight can make easy changes to their lifestyle and improve their health by simply walking more.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Walking everywhere all the time is unrealistic and I am an avid "I like to walk" type of person. I walk home frequently enough (from Midtown to Brooklyn) and pretty much anywhere I'm going within BK on the weekends. However I understand that's not always sensible under many situations like time sensitivity and bad weather. I do whish though, NYC was more bike friendly and less car friendly. If it was I would rarely take the subway.

But walking as free and easy form of exercise is important and there is a point to be made that those overweight can make easy changes to their lifestyle and improve their health by simply walking more.
I plan out my day so that I can get a walk in.

I work a 45 minute walk from Penn Station but my walk is important to me so I leave my house a little earlier to factor in time for it.

It saves me a lot of $$ and it keeps me fit.

if I had a 6 mile walk to work or something perhaps I would not do it but if I am able to fit it into my day and avoid having to take a subway then I am going to do that.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,428,208 times
Quote:

I work a 45 minute walk from Penn Station but my walk is important to me so I leave my house a little earlier to factor in time for it.

if I had a 6 mile walk to work or something perhaps I would not do it but if I am able to fit it into my day and avoid having to take a subway then I am going to do that.
Why don't you use those citibikes, Lil Boy?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM
PDF

Quote:

Why do you hate the subway so much? Good thing you live in LI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or